• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why when I hide the conditional text I created, why does framemaker hide everything in the chapter, even things that were not tagged as conditional?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a chapter of a user manual that has information from two versions, version 9.2 and version 10.0. I created conditional tags for both 9.2 and 10.0 and applied them to the appropriate text. When everything was tagged, I hid the 9.2 conditional text and instead of just that text disappearing, the entire chapter disappeared. When I un-hid the 9.2 conditional text, everything returned. The 10.0 conditional text when hidden did not do this. So, I went back and created a "NEW_9.2" conditional tag and applied it to all of the old 9.2 text. After changing each page, I tested the show/hide conditional text function and after each page, only the NEW_9.2 text became hidden. When all pages had the old 9.2 conditional text changed to NEW_9.2, I saved the document. Then when I went to hide the NEW_9.2 text, the whole chapter disappeared again. Un-hiding the NEW_9.2 brings it back. This time, if I hide the 10.0 text, the entire chapter disappears as well. What is going on with this? Other conditional text (such as the DRAFT watermark) does not exhibit this behavior when hidden.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the reply. I actually spent some time on the phone with Adobe tech support and it turns out that there was an update pending for FM2019. Once I installed the update, the Conditional Text issue was fixed and everything displayed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan:

Chances are that there is a mistake with the condition tags, or the hide/show settings, although the likelihood is reduced since you started over and re-tagged the text. Let's start there though...

1. Can you show a screenshot a page that uses both tags, with condition indicators visible and the Show/Hide panel open?
  2. Is there unconditional text in the chapter, or is everything using one tag or the other?
  3. Are you testing Show/Hide at the document level or at the book level?

FrameMaker is subject to erratic behavior when the the preference files become corrupt. If you are experienced with condition tags and are sure it is FrameMaker and not you, you can trash preferences to see if it fixes the behavior. (This can be undone if it doesn't fix the problem.)

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-resetting-preferences/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the reply. I actually spent some time on the phone with Adobe tech support and it turns out that there was an update pending for FM2019. Once I installed the update, the Conditional Text issue was fixed and everything displayed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect! Glad you are back on track, Dan.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines