• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will FM 2017 and FM 2015 co-exist?

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Framemaker subscription, and have been using FM 2015.

What is the best way to upgrade to FM 2017? I found this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/how-to-upgrade-your-adobe-framemaker-subscription.html

However, it advises to uninstall the previous version of FM. I don't want to do that if possible. Can they co-exist?

I need to test our documents in the new version before committing to it.

Also, is there a better way for subscribers to download the upgrade than the link above?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Yes, I was a FrameMaker 2017 early adopter, and have run Fm 2015 and Fm 2017 (and Fm 12) on the same system without issue.

Having updated Fm 8 files for my Fm 11 book, and then using those same files to produce my Fm 2015 and 2017 FrameMaker reference books, I am confident that you will not have conversion issues in moving from Fm 2015 to Fm 2017.

This year I also updated Fm 5.0 (or earlier) materials to produce 2 workbooks on use of Structured Fm 2017.

Again, no issues in accessing, using, or outp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was a FrameMaker 2017 early adopter, and have run Fm 2015 and Fm 2017 (and Fm 12) on the same system without issue.

Having updated Fm 8 files for my Fm 11 book, and then using those same files to produce my Fm 2015 and 2017 FrameMaker reference books, I am confident that you will not have conversion issues in moving from Fm 2015 to Fm 2017.

This year I also updated Fm 5.0 (or earlier) materials to produce 2 workbooks on use of Structured Fm 2017.

Again, no issues in accessing, using, or output of the files. There were (obviously) lots of changes to the content in each of the workbooks to account for new and modified features and interface.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi whlotus:

Also, is there a better way for subscribers to download the upgrade than the link above?

You can download the free 30-day FrameMaker 2017 trial here: Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)-Free Trial.

However, it advises to uninstall the previous version of FM. I don't want to do that if possible. Can they co-exist?

I also have both Fm 2015 and Fm 2017 installed with no issues. But remember that when you open a document in 2017 it will convert to that format. If you want to go back to 2015 when the trial expires, you will need to save those files as .MIF so that 2015 can open them, or better yet, work on copies of the original files until you are sure you want to stay with 2017.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt and Barb,

Thanks so much for your replies. That gives me the courage to move forward!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! And here’s a last tip: when you can’t find the command you are looking for, look in the Insert menu. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another tip for trials - install the trial on a non-production machine & only use a copy of your docs to play around with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also take advantage of newer UI and (F7 )command search in FM2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines