• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will FrameMaker 7.0 install on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit? Will it install on Windows 10?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will FrameMaker 7.0 install on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit? Will it install on Windows 10?

If this is not in the correct area of the forum, please move it. I am new to this forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Thank you "Tech Comm Tools".

I did not think about the interface, also the potential problems.

You and everyone else have been very helpful.

That pretty well eliminates 7.0 and the probable wasted time.

The charge for 1/2 the remaining term if I cancel a subscription is also something to think about.

Now the remaining question is the availability of FrameMaker 2018. I doubt Adobe will announce anything before it's time.

Back to the "drawing board".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Will FrameMaker 7.0 install on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit?

Absolutely, if you do it this way.
Installed natively, even if successful, I'd expect issues.

re: Will it install on Windows 10?

No insight there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to install it, but it's interesting that you're looking to install software that is at least 13 years old.
(Fm 7.0 released in 2002, and Fm 7.2 released in 2005)

If you need access to old files, it might be easier to download a trial of Fm 2017 to open your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank both of you for your replies.

Does anyone know when 2018 will be released to the public?

I would not want to buy 2017 and then have 2018 released soon after that and have to upgrade again.

I am using an old program because I have not installed it on any personal computer.

It has sat on a shelf, but now I want to try it.

This will be used during an extended trial/training period.

All files will be created and read by this version.

I am also using 7.0 because cost to upgrade to 2017 is $1,000. I don't want to pay that price unless I will be using it continuously.

I am not a fan of subscriptions. Unfortunately more programs by other vendors are forcing users to subscriptions.

I believe Autodesk (Autocad series of programs) was one of the earliest companies to force users to subscriptions in about 2005.

The most recent one is the financial program Quicken.

I use the word "force" because they no longer have 1-time purchases as an option.

I have heard a FrameMaker subscription can be cancelled, but Adobe will use every technique to keep the subscription going.

Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your concerns.

But if you're looking to use the application professionally, version 7.x is going to be a long way from the interface and user experience of the current version. You are also likely to run into problems with PDF creation, and won't have any options for digital publishing other than PDF.

Currently, the subscription (annual) is $29.99/month and would get you any upgrades that come along during that year.

I've also been told that you can cancel your subscription plan. It turns out to be true but you will get charged for 1/2 the remaining term when you cancel. At least that's what happened when I tried to cancel an Illustrator+Stock subscription I no longer require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you "Tech Comm Tools".

I did not think about the interface, also the potential problems.

You and everyone else have been very helpful.

That pretty well eliminates 7.0 and the probable wasted time.

The charge for 1/2 the remaining term if I cancel a subscription is also something to think about.

Now the remaining question is the availability of FrameMaker 2018. I doubt Adobe will announce anything before it's time.

Back to the "drawing board".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Does anyone know when 2018 will be released to the public?
Major releases have been in odd year model numbers so far. My bet is that the next is FM2019 (which may be actually FM15.0)
re: I am not a fan of subscriptions.
Unlike a lot of Adobe apps, FM and TCS may still be available with perpetual licenses. Not cheap tho.
re: The most recent one is the financial program Quicken.
Not surprising to hear. I fired the whole Intuit product line, when QuickBooks went time-bombed-only back in the 90s.

But the points made by user TCT are valid. FM7 is back across the Unicode boundary (has to use old codepage fonts for most non-Roman characters), and is very limited for content generation other than PDF.

For learning how to use FM, though, you can pick up all the basic concepts at no extra charge. You also probably have the most comprehensive user manual ever generated for FM by Adobe. Don't discard it, even if you upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fm 2015, Fm 2017 … that might look like a pattern of odd year numbers. But …

The release cycle is 12 to 18 month for new major versions (with quarterly updates inbetween).

When there are fundamental technology updates (like support for all languages of the world incl. Right-to-Left and Script Languages in FM 2015 or a big UI technology update with responsive High-DPI compatibility in Fm 2017) it might be longer than 12 month. Fundamental technology updates are what pushes the release beyond the 12 month cycle.

And as Fm 2017 was released on Jan 31, 2017, and these 12 months have passed now … 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since Stefan brought it up, here are the release dates for the last few versions (basically every 18 months), per Wikipedia:

FrameMaker 6.0
Released in 2000. FrameMaker 6.0 introduced completely rewritten userguide, book wide find/replace and spell check, introduced new and improved chapter/book numbering system, compare document tool and bundled Quadralay WebWorks Publisher.
FrameMaker 7.0
Released in 2002. FrameMaker 7.0 introduced combined SGML and unstructured version, XML application support introduced, Save As PDF fixed, tagged PDF support, improved running header/footer support, document info stored in XMP format. FrameMaker 7.0 was the last version to run on the Macintosh (OS 8/9), HP/UX and IBM AIX.
FrameMaker 7.1
Released in 2003. FrameMaker 7.1 was bundled with Distiller 6, and included more OpenType fonts and can import Quark and Pagemaker documents. FrameMaker 7.1 on Unix now uses PDFLib and no longer relies on Distiller. FrameMaker 7.1 is only released on Windows and Solaris.
FrameMaker 7.2
Released in 2005. FrameMaker 7.2 introduced multiple undo, and included an unsupported DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) application pack. It is bundled with WebWorks 8, and Distiller 7 (Unix version uses PDFLib). In 2006 Adobe released officially supported Framemaker 7.2 application packs for DITA and S1000D.[7]
FrameMaker 8
Released in 2007. FrameMaker 8 introduced Unicode, Flash, 3D and built-in DITA support. A patch (8.0.1) was released during November, 2007 to fix a number of bugs and errors.
FrameMaker 9
Released in January, 2009. FrameMaker 9 contains a brand-new user interface and several productivity enhancements. New features included: full support for DITA, importing comments from PDF, enhanced WebDAV based CMS integration through native HTTP path support.[citation needed]
FrameMaker 10
Released in January, 2011. FrameMaker 10 included changes such as: DITA 1.2 support, DITA usability enhancements, author XML content, content management system support,scripting, automatically checking spelling, finding and changing overrides, using the table catalog, repeating the last operation, setting a poster: In videos, drag and drop editing, creating read/write rules, configuring the maker.ini file, text drag and drop, background colour and suppressing alerts.[8]
Framemaker 11
Released in July 2012. Framemaker 11 included native XML code view, author view, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 support, comprehensive DITA support, integration with popular content management systems, and enhanced video support.[9]
Framemaker 12
Released in January 2014. FrameMaker 12 included support for multichannel/multidevice publishing, support for MathML equations, integration with Adobe Experience Manager, simultaneous PDF-based reviews and authoring, smart catalogs, and out-of-the-box Dropbox integration.[10]
FrameMaker (2015 release)
Released 2 June 2015. FrameMaker (2015 release) included full right-to-left language support for Hebrew and Arabic, support for Thai and complex script languages, a new PDF Maker, out-of-the-box multi-channel, multi-device publishing, mobile app output for iOS and Android, and many more features.
FrameMaker (2017 release)
Released 31 January 2017. FrameMaker (2017 release) new features included support for high-resolution displays (up to 4K), bigger and better welcome screen, search for menu commands, new Project Manager, next-generation responsive HTML5 layouts, search faster with auto-complete, customizable basic HTML5 output, and a direct connector with the XML Documentation Add-on for Adobe Experience Manager, Adobe's DITA CCMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi LRClifford02 ,

I have heard a FrameMaker subscription can be cancelled, but Adobe will use every technique to keep the subscription going.

I'm not clear what you mean by "every technique to keep the subscription going". All unpleasant surprises can be avoided by taking a few minutes to review the terms and conditions prior to purchasing a subscription from any vendor: Adobe, Dropbox, Microsoft, Intuit, Lynda.com, etc. When you click the checkmark on these sites stating that you agree to the terms prior to completing the purchase, you have entered to a binding legal contract.

Adobe Captivate, Presenter, Presenter Video Express, RoboHelp, RoboHelp Server, FrameMaker, FrameMaker XML Author, FrameMaker Publishing Server, Technical Communication Suite, and Director

Annual contract, paid monthly

Service begins as soon as your initial payment is processed. You’ll be charged the rate stated at the time of purchase, plus applicable taxes (such as value added tax when the stated rate doesn’t include VAT), every month for the duration of your annual contract. If the applicable VAT rate (or other included tax or duty) changes during your one-year term, the tax-inclusive price will adjust accordingly. Your contract will renew automatically, on your annual renewal date, until you cancel. Renewal rates are subject to change, but you will be notified of any change in your rate with the option to cancel in accordance with these terms. If you cancel within 14 days of your initial order, you’ll be fully refunded. Should you cancel after 14 days, you’ll be charged 50% of your remaining contract obligation and your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period. Cancellations can be made any time by visiting your Manage Account page* or by contacting Customer Support.

* Specific countries require cancellations to be made only by contacting Customer Support, see list of countries here.

—Legal subscription terms | Adobe

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines