Will FrameMaker 9 run on Windows 10?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering a new laptop purchase and have to decide between Windows 7 or Windows 10. I'd prefer Windows 10, but have to be sure that FrameMaker 9 will run okay (it's our dept. standard and upgrading isn't an option). Is anyone running FM 9 with Windows 10?

Thanks!

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 02, 2016
Lynne A. Price Adobe Community Professional , Dec 02, 2016
Sean,    I have Win 10 and occasionally run FM 9.     --Lynne

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean:

FrameMaker 9 was supported on Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit editions).

Generally speaking, running a old software application on a new operating system is a crapshoot—the application might run just fine, or might not. Something to consider is that FrameMaker 9 (released in 2009) is no longer supported by Adobe, so you will be on your own if you run into issues. And one of the things I have gleaned from volunteering on multiple Adobe application forums is that you may find  folks running a old software application on a new operating system successfully, but it doesn't guarantee it will run ok for someone else in the same environment.

This would be a good time to consider upgrading to Fm 2015.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for your reply. I understand; no support and no guarantees. However, upgrading to FM 2015 is not an option. I simply have to decide whether to order a new laptop with Windows 10 or one with Windows 7.

If FM 9 is incompatible with Win 10, then I know I have to stick with Win 7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

I have Win 10 and occasionally run FM 9.

--Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Windows 7 choices are any of Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate (but not Basic, Home or Premium), you have dramatically higher odds of getting FM9 to work, because if it doesn't run native on Win7 you can easily run it in a virtual machine in XP Mode (not available for Win10). I'm running FM7 on Win7 this way, and quite reliably now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
sean_mc_tx AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 9 works great on Windows 7. Everyone on my team has been doing it for years.

You make a good point about Win 10 not having an XP Mode to fall back on, like Win 7 does, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines