Highlighted

Working with images

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do the following when editing a book in FM 12:

1. Replace images in an Images folder?  When I attempted to replace them with new images by the same names as the previous ones, the document that references them kept crashing when I opened it and did not show the images.

2. How do I add new referenced images to an Images folder?  Some of them will need to be renumbered. If I do all of this in the Images folder, will the document automatically reference the new images?

3. How do I resize an image and the graphics container?  I am able to drag the image from the corner to resize it, but not the container.

4. How do I replace a chapter in a book?  If I just drag in the new chapter and delete the old one and click "Update Book," will that work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Working with images

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do the following when editing a book in FM 12:

1. Replace images in an Images folder?  When I attempted to replace them with new images by the same names as the previous ones, the document that references them kept crashing when I opened it and did not show the images.

2. How do I add new referenced images to an Images folder?  Some of them will need to be renumbered. If I do all of this in the Images folder, will the document automatically reference the new images?

3. How do I resize an image and the graphics container?  I am able to drag the image from the corner to resize it, but not the container.

4. How do I replace a chapter in a book?  If I just drag in the new chapter and delete the old one and click "Update Book," will that work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 01, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always best to ask each question individually, because sometimes the answers are long and hard to follow. That said:

1. Replace images in an Images folder?  When I attempted to replace them with new images by the same names as the previous ones, the document that references them kept crashing when I opened it and did not show the images. This does work but the name must be an exact match. Alternatively, because Fm images are normally linked, you could just open an image in the source program, edit, save and close, keeping the same name. Fm will pick up the updated image the next time the chapter is open.

2. How do I add new referenced images to an Images folder?  Some of them will need to be renumbered. If I do all of this in the Images folder, will the document automatically reference the new images? As per the previous answer, Fm will see updated images with the same name, but you will have to replace or add the ones with new names manually. To replace an image: select an image (not the frame) and use File > Import > File. The usual Import button changes to Replace when replacing an existing image.

3. How do I resize an image and the graphics container?  I am able to drag the image from the corner to resize it, but not the container. They are independent objects and don't resize together. A workaround is to size the image first, and then tap Esc mp (sequential keystrokes not consecutive) to shrinkwrap the frame to the size of the image. Note: shrinkwrap does two things: it resizes the frame to match the image and it anchors the frame at the insertion point. You can't separate the two, so you will need to update the anchor position (perhaps to below current line, or whatever you normally use) after shrinkwrapping. Alternatively, select the sizing handles on the outer dotted line (the frame edge) and drag to resize.

4. How do I replace a chapter in a book?  If I just drag in the new chapter and delete the old one and click "Update Book," will that work? Delete the old one, add the new one, review the book levels controls (position, numbering, pagination, show/hide conditional text, etc. to make it work with the other chapters) and update the book.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2016 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! ☺

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2016 1
Advisor ,
Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> How do I add new referenced images to an Images folder?  Some of them will need to be renumbered.

This is not, I believe, best practice! there is absolutely no intrinsic relationship between the generated figure number in the caption and the file used for the graphic. You've already found this out! the file you were using in Figure 3. one day stays unchanged when you add another figure earlier in the book the next day; and what happens when you re-use the same graphic in several documents?

Use something like a chapter-prefix if you must, but you'll be better off with short, descriptive file-names … and a copy of Bridge so you can work with thumbnails and searches.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2016 0
kbliz LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2016 0