• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrap text around table

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm putting in a small table in my document. I want to wrap the text around it. Is it possible and how do I do it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

It's possible, but tricky. There are two ways to do this.

1. Create a text frame and insert the table inside the text frame. Caveats here are that the text frame will not resize with the table, so you have to do that by hand. Also, if you use a tag with autonumbering for a table title, the autonumbering is disconnected from any tables in the main flow and also any tables in other text frames. In other words, if the table title is inside the text frame, the autonumbering restarts at 1 every time. Las

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A table in a text frame inside an anchored frame would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible, but tricky. There are two ways to do this.

1. Create a text frame and insert the table inside the text frame. Caveats here are that the text frame will not resize with the table, so you have to do that by hand. Also, if you use a tag with autonumbering for a table title, the autonumbering is disconnected from any tables in the main flow and also any tables in other text frames. In other words, if the table title is inside the text frame, the autonumbering restarts at 1 every time. Lastly, text frames inserted like this are floating and will not move with the text.
  2. Use an anchored frame, then insert a text frame inside the anchored frame, and then insert the table in the text frame. Set the position properties for the anchored frame to Run Into Paragraph. Tables inside an anchored frame will move with the text, but you run into the same issues with resizing the text frame. Oddly, the autonumbering does seem to connect to tables inserted in the main flow.

Also note that FrameMaker only runs around one side of either a text frame or an anchored frame, not both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an autonumbering problem arises, it can be worked around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's usually a way around it, yes. I haven't actually done this before, and didn't have time to do a lot of testing. I just found it odd that if you put the table inside a text frame, the autonumbering got disconnected, but if you put the table inside a text frame inside a graphic frame, it incremented.

Testing consisted of inserting a paragraph with the table title tag inside the main flow followed by a table title inside a text frame, followed by a table title inside a text frame inside an anchored frame followed by a table title inserted in a paragraph. The table title inside the anchored frame incremented. The one inside the text frame restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the second option, it worked nicely. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Bob and I posted the same answer at almost the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines