• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XML Application to my edd

Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

sorry for there are so many questions from me.

I tried to create my XML Application following this PDF.  And I have a problem to add the Strcured Application element (the circled step 2),could you please take some time to show me how to do this in detail? please see my attached markup file.

thanks a lot!

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Before we start, it would be a good idea to keep this discussion in one thread, rather than create a new thread for each message.

First the good news, the table structure is now correct, although you do not allow for a table title.

I'm sorry to say that the rest of the EDD does not look so good. I think perhaps you have misunderstood the intructions in the developer's guide. To answer your specific question, the StructuredApplication element is from the EDD clement catalog so if you look at the top of an EDD's structure view you will typically see these elements:

ElementCatalog

Version

StructuredApplication

Element

Tag

You can see that the StructuredApplication element can be inserted after the Version element.

I feel that there is still a great deal for you to understand about XML and FrameMaker's structured application development. One of the first questions to ask is do you already have a DTD or an XML schema that defines the required XML structure, or are you building your own EDD to suit the specific needs of your own documents.

If you do already have a DTD then the development process is slightly different as you will not need to invent your own EDD structures, elements and attributes.

Good luck

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I do have an DTD now, but the dtd file is an external one not created from FM, it is suitable to epic editor.

could you please tell me how to use this dtd file to get an edd file in FM?

thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Having an external DTD is very good news. The DTD is part of the core XML specification, so if it works with Epic editor it will work with FrameMaker. One of XML's key features is it's application independence.

Here are some of the steps that you need to follow so that you can use your DTD with FrameMaker. Please refer to the complete instructions that you will find in the Structure Application Developer Guide and Reference manuals.

1. Create a new folder for the XML application components you are about to make, put the DTD in that folder.
  2. Create the read/write rules file:
    1. Select StructureTools > New Read/Write Rules
    2. Add the rules for table parts, graphics etc.
    3. Save the Read/Write rules in the application's folder.
  3. Build an XML application
    1. Select StructureTools > Edit Application Definitions
    2. Add a new XMLApplication definition that includes the ApplicationName, DOCTYPE, DTD and ReadWriteRuleselements. The Doctype is the name of the highest level element(s). Add the path and file name for the DTD to the DTD element. Add the path and file name for the Read/write rules file to the ReadWriteRules element.
    3. Select StructureTools > Read Application Definitions. FrameMaker is now aware of the new XML application.
  4. Create an EDD from the DTD:
    1. Select StructureTools > Open DTD...
    2. Navigate to the new folder, select your DTD then click Open.
    3. Select your XML application from the drop down list.
    4. FrameMaker will create an EDD that matches the structure of the DTD
    5. Save the EDD
    6. Add the formatting rules to the EDD.
  5. Create a structured template:

1. Open a new empty document, update the layout of the document as required.
    2. Import the element catalog from the EDD by selecting File > Import > Element Definitions...
    3. Select your EDD from the drop down list, click Import.
    4. Save the structured template in your XML application folder.
  6. Update the XML application.
    1. Add a reference to the structured template into the application definition (structapps) file by adding the Template element.
    2. Select StructureTools > Read Application Definitions. FrameMaker is now able to read and write XML in accordance with your DTD.
  7. Add a new document template
    1. Make a copy of the structured template and place it in FrameMaker's Templates folder.
  8. Create a new structured document
    1. Select File > New > Document...
    2. Select your structured template
    3. Start editing...

Please understand that the instructions above are not exhaustive. But they should get you onto the correct path. Please read as much of the Structure Application Developer Guide and Reference manuals as you can. It's all in there.

Good luck

Ian

• Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your helpful answer!

And there is another qustion:    What should be the file format of the read/write rule?  and what is the suffix to this file? I stored this file with a *.fm suffix, is it right or not?  Is ther any reference documents?

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

Thank you very much for all of your help all the time.

and is there any one who can tell me how to add path of the graphics when writing the rules? and Including how to add figure box by adding the rules.

Thanks again for all your help to a novice like me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no errors I have created:

MAINT_TEMPLATES_EDD so I have an "element catalog"

MAINT_TEMPLATES.dtd so I have the formatting part of the equation

I created a new doc Using the Blank Paper PORTRAIT

and inserted each of the ELEMENTS that were created in the "element catalog"

I saved this file as MaintTask.fm

good so far, no errors.

Now comes the step to "Create a DTD from an EDD"

It says to Open the EDD.  I did.

It says to "Add the StructuredApplication Element" and type in the name of the XML application created in the previous section.

I had created "MaintTask.fm" in the previous section. [Ref Pg 699 in the "Using Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)]

But it doesn't allow me to add the Element "StructuredApplication"

much less Save it as a DTD file.

Please advise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did open the MAINT_TEMPLATES_EDD.fm file

now I can't open the file at all

rhonda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Mentor ,
    Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The StructuredApplication element can be added as the second child of the EDD root element (ElementCatalog), right after Version. I believe that this specifies the default application to use when you save a document as XML; however, it is not required for XML import/export.

I am not familiar with this document you are following, but I should mention that this is clearly just an introduction only. Once you get the basic skills down, you will likely want to increase the complexity of your workflow to suit your needs. In other words, do not assume that this is the only way to do it.

Also, those two CrossReference elements in the EDD have no usefulness. It appears that you may have followed some steps in the tutorial incorrectly. Otherwise, the EDD should probably be functional, although you won't be able to insert very much into your document except a table with some text and graphics. You won't be able to insert any paragraphs, headings, etc.

One more thing... although FrameMaker will probably accept it, the highest-level element "123" is not valid in XML. So, you should get a parser error when you save as XML, even if everything else is correct. If I remember correctly, XML element names can contain numerical digits but cannot start with one.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines