• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

xref vs text inset

Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of those days when you open a document you haven't seen for years and find yourself confronting a new question :-}

• fileA.fm includes a text inset for content used by several .fm files
  • inset.fm contains about a page of content, including a heading we'll call H
  • fileB.fm needs to include a cross-reference to heading H

When I generate the .book, fileB includes the cross-reference, which correctly opens fileA in FrameMaker – but the book error report identifies it as 'unresolved', and the cross-ref is not delivered as a hyperlink when I save the .book as a .pdf.

Is this an artefact of working with a text inset? is there some subtlety I'm missing? I'd obviously prefer to have working hyperlinks and no book errors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Thanks for the feedback and explanations!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to K.Daube FM-compendium document (I highly recommend acquiring this), xrefs in a text inset are not converted into live links in a PDF. The best workaround at the moment is the following (copied from Klaus' document):

1. Open all files in the book, update the book, and save all files.
  2. “Flatten” all the text insets, that is, convert them all to text.
  3. Save as (or print to) PDF.
  4. Close all the files without saving.

Klaus' document mentions that Rick Quatro has a script called ResolveInsetXRefs that will also handle this, but it is not currently available from Rick's store. You could try contacting Rick directly to see if a license is obtainable. I can vouch that Rick's scripts tend towards the awesome, and his support if you have issues is very, very fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Rick's script ResolveInsetXRefs for about 8 years now.

It is written for FrameScript. As far as I know he does not have an ExtendScript version yet.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback and explanations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines