• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zapf Dingbats font corrupt on new laptop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving to a new laptop. My old laptop had Windows XP SP 2, FrameMaker 8.0p277, and Acrobat Distiller 8. I had 2 Zapf Dingbats fonts that worked fine on my old laptop (ZapfDinbats and ZapfDingbatsStd [OpenType]). However, on my new laptop, when I try to install the ZapfDingbats .pfm version of Zapf Dingbats, I get a corrupt font error. The new laptop has the following applications: Windows XP SP 3, FrameMaker 8.0p277, and Distiller 8.0. Other people on my team have downloaded and installed this file without any problems. I've done some reading on the Forum about this issue. But I haven't found a solution to my problem yet. Would someone please help me? Someone mentioned a bios setting without any particulars. I'm wondering whether I need to do something like that here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

tc_trumpet wrote:

Unable to install the "ZapfDingbats (Type 1)" font.

File "...\zd______.pfm" is either invalid or damaged.

Is it possible that your new laptop has a Nvidia graphics card? A Google search for «"XP SP3" postscript fonts» reveals solutions like this:

-------

Open the registry editor (START, RUN and type regedit and click OK)
Navigate to the following key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro  l\SessionManager\MemoryManagement
Add a new REG_DWORD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal. A PS Type1 font, once installed, cannot be moved, copied or re-installed. The reason is, that Windows creates this combined "PFM" file (which isn't a PFM in reality) out of the original PFB and PFM file. Not a correct font file any more.

If you want to use your T1 ZapfDingbats, you need to re-install it from the original group of font files, which mostly include a PFB, a PFM, sometimes an AFM and an INF file. Then it will work again.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have the original font files. I still had the same problem. Another person from my department tried to install these same files and he was able to do so. However, someone else with the same laptop image as me was NOT able to do so. So there is something on this laptop that is prohibiting me from downloading and installing this font. I need to figure out what that is. Because I have legacy documents with this font, I can't work on them on this laptop until I get this issue resolved. Again, I have Windows XP SP3, FrameMaker 8.0p377, and Acrobat 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you point out, it seems to be something on that particular laptop image that's causing you problems, so you either need to dump the problem on your IT people or start debugging what is preventing you from loading the fonts. Because you don't provide the error messages, it's hard for someone in the forum to contribute much, but it certainly sounds as if it's a permissions problem, either with your account lacking admin privleges or the files that you're trying to install being owned by another account that doesn't allow sharing or execution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error message that I get when I try to install it. The font is located on a network drive. However, I also copied all of the fonts in this folder locally and still got the same error message when I attempted to install it.

Windows Fonts Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tc_trumpet wrote:

Is it possible that your new laptop has a Nvidia graphics card? A Google search for «"XP SP3" postscript fonts» reveals solutions like this:

-------

Open the registry editor (START, RUN and type regedit and click OK)
Navigate to the following key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro  l\SessionManager\MemoryManagement
Add a new REG_DWORD Value - Change the name of the value to SessionImageSize with a value (decimal) of 20  and then reboot the machine.

-------

Found in a German Windows related forum, where the thread describes exactly your problems (solution comes from DELL). Maybe it's worth a try.

Edit: here's an English blog which gives the same solution (scroll down to the end of the page):

http://onetruth.blogsome.com/2008/06/10/adobe-opentype-fonts-windows-xp-sp3-and-nvidia/

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My IT person just came up with possibly the same solution. He said that it was a video driver size issue. And I do have an Nvidia graphics card. He sent me a little script to edit the Registry. I ran the script, rebooted, and then successfully installed the font. So technically speaking, I didn't try your procedure. But I'm guessing that my registry script did the same thing and that this is, in fact, the actual solution.

Thank you so much for pursuing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you still have the script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines