• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[How To] Copy and paste from a selection

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven’t been able to work out how to copy selected art on a layer. Is it possible to make a selection, and then copy and paste it?

[Renamed by Mod]

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

I found it. Make a selection, long tap on a layer and you will see a duplicate selection option. Clicking that makes a new layer with the pasted content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it. Make a selection, long tap on a layer and you will see a duplicate selection option. Clicking that makes a new layer with the pasted content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found it Josh. 

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not managed to duplicate Josh's results. How can I get the cut and paste options to appear on screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stealth. 

Here's how to copy paste content from one place to another. 

Use the lasso tool to select what you want to copy. 

Then tap the ellipsis icon (...) beside the layer thumbnails. 

From the menu that launches tap Copy Selection.

Then create a new layer or tap the layer that you want to copy that content to and tap that ellipsis icon again. 

This time when the menu launches you'll see Paste Selection as an option. Just tap that. 

Is that what you were wanting to know how to do? Let me know. 

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not getting the copy/paste options when I bring up the elipses menu. I am only getting Hide, Transform, Invert, marching ants, and selection overly. 

help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi County. 

This is a little bit confusing because Copy/Paste are not in the Lasso menu they're in the Layer Actions  menu. Try this:

Tap on the layer that contains the content you want to copy/paste.

Tap the Lasso tool and use it to select the content.

Then tap the ellipses icon in the taskbar (next to your layer thumnails). Copy Selection should show up there.

Then tap on any other layer tap the ellipses icon again and choose Paste Selection from the menu.

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem: copy selection does not appear in the taskbar. When I click the ellipsis I get Layer actions, nothing specific to selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears this option is not availabe when you are working in a vector layer. You must, unfortunately, convert your layer to pixels. Once you convert your layer to a pixel layer, the option to "copy selection" is then availabe as described above. 

Unrelated, but I would also love to see the option to export your selection only, versus your whole canvas. If you don't fill your canvas and then export as a PNG your bounding box is huge and cumbersome to then work with in other programs such as word processing documents and slides presentations. When you are combining art and text into one final product, it is best to have resizing/ bounding boxes as small as possible as not to interfer with the many other things on your page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue

Are there no quick gestures to drag copy, constrain direction, etc?
These are really important for concept sketching.
Cheers and Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas, Once you've made your selection and copied/pasted, switch to the transform tool. While using transform, holding your finger on the touch control will constrain the movement to horizontal or vertical directions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael
Efforts appreciated.

Yes - I already use that process.

I'm looking for quick gestures that are comparable in speed to desktop ones.

I do a lot of layout and concept sketching for work, and speed is key.
The mobile processes are very slow (in most mobile apps, not just Adobe).
They're about 10x slower, which is a killer at the speed needed for concept and layout sketches.

So I'm looking for things equivalent to holding down the shift key to draw a straight line, keyboard shortcut support etc.

The iPad and pencil are ideal alternatives to our Wacom devices and killer-portable.
But tablet software is lagging far behind in some of these essential workflow basics.

Am hoping, some of these have been added recently, but I'm guessing not.

Right now my fastest solution is still pencil and paper and photographing the result with my iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally agree with this. Would love a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anybody know if I can copy paste an item in the same layer? Hoy Nany latera are too many?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, ajoutez un clavier à votre iPad etdes raccourcis claviers existent pour copier/coller, regardez dans l'aide de Fresco.
Pour tracer un trait rectiligne : Tracer le trait et patienter un peu avant de relever le stylet, pour oriter ce trait droit, déplacez le stylet jusqu'à satisfaction.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines