• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

did my mask erase the drawing underneath?

Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, probably operator error here... I think a mask erased the drawing where it was masked... I can't see the mask anymore and the drawing "seems" to not be there... I will keep plugging at it. Maybe I just can't find the mask? 

Also, if I make a mask, then make it into a clipping mask, and then make it back into a regular mask, would that delete the content it's masking? (because I did do that, messing around still learning).

Any additional tips/tricks not in the user guide would be helpful if anyone has anythig to share. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How-to , Layers , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Can you post a screenshot?
it's difficult to answer without "seeing it".

For info, masks can be viewed by sliding the layer thumbnail sideways.

See it here, in action, while it's moved midway. To go back into seeing the layer thumbnail, slide it leftwards.

Imaginerie_0-1678360063135.png

The mask is shown on the right and there will be only one thumbnail showing when the sliding action is complete.

No masking should "delete" anything, just hiding the area painted in black in the mask from the layer it is attached to.

if you clip a layer, with a mask attached, then the area visible will be a combination of that's visible (not transparent) in the main layer (where the clipping is applied) and the white areas of the clipped layer (white reveals, black conceals)

let me know if that makes sense to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the issue, that I couldn't swipe to see the mask, as if it had gone away, and deleted averything behind it to boot.

Right before I couldn't find the mask or the masked content, I made a mask, then made it into a clipping mask, and then made it back into a regular mask. After that I coudn't find the mask or the masked content. 

The project was cancelled, so I deleted the artwork, but it it comes up again, I will post. Still learning the ropes... 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, keep us posted, it could be a bug and in taht case, worth notifying it to the devs. It could be something less seriously, that can be quickly resolved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines