• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fresco smudge tool not working and app crashes

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using latest version of Fresco on Surface pro 7 and the smudge tool almost never works. I have to restart the app several times or uninstall and install it again and then SOMETIMES it works. Sometimes though the app crashes completely when using the smudge tool. Its extremelly annoying having to do all of this to use this tool. Please explain what I can do for this problem 

TOPICS
Performance , Pixel Brushes , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fraoulla. 

Hi.

Sorry you're having trouble with the app.

Please check that you have the most current graphics driver for your device; you can check that  at https://helpx.adobe.com/fresco/system-requirements/2021.html#graphics-driver

If you have to install a new driver, close Fresco, sign out of the Creative Cloud Desktop App, restart your device, then sign back in to the Creative Cloud Desktop App and relaunch Fresco. 

If Smudge still isn't working please write us through the Report A Bug link (App Settings > Help > Support > Report A Bug) so I can see all of your device/app information.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I did what you told me, it worked for 3 days and now its not working again and the app crashes. I send a report a few days ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fraoulla. 

Sorry it's  not working again.  Something I'd like you to try:

1. Go to Creative Cloud Desktop Application
  2. Press Ctrl+Alt+R
  3. It will show a dialog to Relaunch
  4. Click Continue and wait for 2-3 minutes
  5. Launch Fresco

If after relaunching the app is still crashing and the Smudge brushes are still not working, please write us through Fresco's Report A Bug link (App Settings > Help > Support > Report A Bug) so we can see all of your device/app information, and share the following logs:

* Your device logs. It's quite easy; the steps are here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

* And the output of dxdiag of your system? On your system:

Choose Start, type dxdiag in the Search text box, and then press Enter.

Note: If you receive the message "Do you want to allow DxDiag to check if your drivers are digitally signed?" click Yes.

In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, select the Save All Information

Save the file on your PC and share it here

These will help the engineers troubleshoot.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try with a different brush style for smudge tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I am using a Wacom One. It crashes whenever I try to use the smudge tool- very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the crashing! There could be multiple reasons behind these crashes, which we are trying to identify. Please share the DxDiag file from your system. Steps are shared here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe-dad7792c-2ad5-f6cd-5a37-bf92228d...).

Also, please confirm the version of Fresco & if this is happening while working on a specific document.

This will help us troubleshoot this issue and assist you accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was having the same issue i changed the brush style for smudge tool and its working fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My smudge tool is not working. Read this forum and made sure my Fresco is up to date. It had been working fine a few days ago. It is my FAVORITE and most used tool! I am on a Lenovo Yoga and Windows 10 that is up to date. Please help by reporting it to your tech team and fixing this. I am mid-stream in a lengthy project and really need this tool back.

Thank you,

tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In desperation, I checked my Intel drivers (starting through your link in first reply). There was a Bluetooth update (not a graphics driver) but I ran that, restarted my computer, and the smudge tool now works! YEAH! As a side note, my Fresco had crashed several times last week. I reported it each time.

I hope this all helps.

tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back... I've been so busy meeting my deadline I haven't had time to report that the smudge tool is back to not working on the same device, all updates applied. Every now and then it "seems" like I get it to work, but I think it is wishful thinking. Is this tool being reviewed by the Adobe Tech folks? I hope, I hope!

tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my Smudge tool still isn't working, even with the latest Fresco update, I tried your recommended App Settings > Help > Support > Report A Bug. But that link tries to launch an email program on my device I don't use (and it wants me to configure). I can't find a direct link. Please help.

tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress in fixing the smudge tool? I really - really - miss it.

tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tmsrDD @Jess-Evil,

Sorry for the delayed response. I checked smudge tool is working as expected at my end. Could you please share a few more details like:

• App Version
  • OS version
  • Device Model
  • Please share the DxDiag file from your system. Steps are shared here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe-dad7792c-2ad5-f6cd-5a37-bf92228d...).
  • Share the file after the crash happens from the following location:
    C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\Packages\Adobe.Fresco_pc75e8sa7ep4e\AC\Temp\NGL
  • Does the crash happen while using specific Smudge Brushes (Charcoal, Basic, Comics, etc.) or all?
  • Does it crash while working on a specific file or all?

This info will help us investigate the issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon,

I've been frequently using the Adobe Fresco for the past week and haven't really had any issues until yesterday when my smudge tool stopped working. My laptop is completely up to date with everything windows 11, my huion drawing tablet is experincing no issues and i even have changed my pen nib. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! The smudge tool is literally everything to me when drawing no matter the application! This is literally frsutrating! And followng the above threads and trying different thing I used the CTRL+ALT+R and now it has Fresco CRASHING as soon as I even touch the smudge button!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is over a year old, but I am also having this problem. The app crashes almost 100% of the time when switching to or using the smudge tool. I have a brand new (it was delivered yesterday) Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 and Slim Pen 2. I have installed all Windows updates, checked my drivers, tried using different smudge brushes, and reinstalled Fresco. No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started reporting this last November (2021). My smudge tool OCCASSIONALLY will work again - no rhyme or reason - briefly and then not again - on my Lenovo Yoga Windows 10. I am SO sad to hear your report though, KyThoMac! I've been saving to purchase the same device you have thinking I HAD to have latest everything and Windows 11 for my VERY MISSED Smudge tool to work again. Adobe, when are you going to address this?
tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that we're sharing this pain! I am really liking the Surface Pro 8, though. I've only had it for about 36 hours, so take that lightly. This issue is the only one I've ran into with the Pro 8/Windows 11 (and the fault seems to be on Adobe, not Windows), and after all the reviews I've read, I don't think your saving up is for nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KyThoMac @tmsrDD,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are unable to replicate the issue on our end, and I have requested a few information above. Would it be possible for you to share those details? It will help us investigate the issue further.

If any case, you are having a problem sharing the details, I'd recommend you connect with our technical support team (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen). The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul,
I went through this thread and found your request for the DxDiag file from my computer. I just ran that and attached it here. I assume that is safe to share with you this way? I didn't see instructions otherwise.

Here are my device specs:
Device name Lenovo-Yoga-730
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.00 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
Device ID 065A1AF8-4E18-49EC-A418-FD535639FAD8
Product ID 00325-96603-94972-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

I am currently on Windows 10 and version 21H2. It says that is the latest update.

The Smudge brush is the Graphite. I've tried a couple others, early on, in desperation but that didn't matter.

This is NOT happening with a certain one of my files. It also rarely - rarely DOES work (I get desperately hopeful from time to time that Adobe fixed this issue and after another update, I give it a try). After an update it might work - it might not - but in that rare moment it does, it doesn't last. What could this be?

I'd be one happy digital artist if you could bring back this functionality. The piece I am currently working on has flowing water and I need that tool!

Thank you for looking into this!
tmsrDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tmsrDD,

Thanks for sharing the details. It seems your Graphics Drivers is outdated. The year 2020 drive is installed.

Please update the GPU driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html and let us know if that helps or not.

If it doesn't, and Fresco crashes again, then please share the file from the following location after the crash happens:
C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Adobe.Fresco_pc75e8sa7ep4e\AC\Temp\NGL

We will try our best to help you out.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to update the driver using your link - Intel says it can't and sent me to the manufacturer's website - see screenshot attached. I am also attaching the intel graphics screenshot. I went to my Lenovo Vantage and it says everything is up to date.

Again, the issue isn't as much that Fresco crashes - which it DOES and I send those reports after that - but that isn't always around a Smudge tool use. 

The issue is that the Smudge tool doesn't work - except every once in a blue moon - and then only for a document use or two - and then it stops working again.

tmsr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying, @tmsrDD. It looks like we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Let me know how the live session goes. Please feel free to reach out if you still need further assistance. 

I'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I actually have been having this problem, but I've recently found a solution. I'm not sure if this is a permanent fix, but it worked for me!

Just uninstall Adobe Fresco, and then re-install it, go into the app, select the smudge tool, and change the smudge pen. It should work fine after that. Let me know if it works!
(I made this account just to tell everyone this, sorry this has been an issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines