• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the point of vector brushes in Fresco?

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any capability to edit vector strokes. I tried exporting as pdf to Affinity Designer as both  PDF and psd as the support team suggested. The strokes don't don't show up as editable vectors. Does this only work in illustrator (which I don't have)? If so might as well just start and finish in Affinity Designer. Can Adobe be serious asking $10/month for something this limited?  Does anyone actually buy into this when affinity and procreate have more powerful apps (for iPad) for less than $50, one time charge? Am I missing something here?

TOPICS
Publish & export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. It was the first thing I looked for when Fresco came out. Fresco is more of a major upgrade to the Adobe Draw app, which also created vector shapes. Fine if you are just using them for unlimited scaling/resolution.

I have Affinity and Procreate as well, and Affinity's vector tools are unparalled on the iPad, however Fresco has the most unbelievable live watercolour brushes I've seen, and remains my go-to for most all of my sketching and drawing.

For editable vector on iPad, Affinity is the one, but I've not been able to export the Affinity vectors to maintain their editablity in Illustrator. You can export them for use in Affinity's desktop app which is sold separately. I'm patiently waiting for Illustrator to arrive on the iPad to do this. Also check out Concepts, which is a different and cool approach to editable vectors, but it does not export editable vectors either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. All of the little Adobe apps for iPad (Fresco, Sketch, Mix, Draw) seem like half baked ideas that were thrown against the wall to see if they'd stick. The only one I'm using is Fix, which is quite a capable app for tweaking photos. But if Lightroom Mobile was at at all able to handle the healing brush and local edits properly it wouldn't be needed. Lightroom Mobile crashes every few seconds when using these tools! I asked support what was up with that. They told me to slow down and it would be more stable! Really? The affinity apps and procreate don't have these problems. And Photoshop on iPad supports so few of the desktop features that it is totally outclassed by affinity Photo, which is no contest compared to Photoshop on PC.

Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are indispensable on the desktop. Is Adobe not interested in supporting their programs on iPad Pro? Of course, I wouldn't expect a straight answer as party line seems to be that it's all good and getting better all the time.  But if they don't get their act together Affinity might eat their lunch. And I really like Adobe products on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear ya. Adobe has fallen way behind on the iOS apps, which really sucks if you have the CC suite, as most apps don't play well with Adobe desktop. I have plenty of issues with exports from apps including Affinity, but it's hard to justify getting the desktop version of Affinity as most creative pros want Adobe compatible files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really difficult to design an application that will export
consistently into Illustrator? If so is that the intention of Adobe? As it
is they don't have any real competition on the desktop.

[PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fresco is most definitely geared towards exporting to Photoshop at the moment.

My hope is that as Fresco develops it will include more compatibility with Illustrator.

At the moment Vector from Fresco is more of a shape than a true Pen Tool line.

I've jus opened a PDF from Fresco in the beta version of Illustrator on iPad and it definitely allows for editing, but as stated is a shape with lots of anchor points around the outside instead of a line with a few anchor points down the centre.
Does it work in Affinity if you try to edit as a shape rather than a vector line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines