Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fresco - 200 ppi won't export

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I painted on a canvas set up with 200 ppi but when I export a JPG at High Quality the resulting file is showing 96 ppi.  That means I won't be able to print at the size that I set within the document before I started painting.  Any idea why it downsized the ppi on me?  This was the full Export As version, not the Quick Export.

Thanks much.

TOPICS
Publish & export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wendy. 

Make sure you're exporting as either a PDF or a PSD (as opposed to a JPG or PNG) and your drawing will save with the PPI of the canvas. 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sue.  I just tried saving as a PNG and the resolution is now 72 ppi, even worse than the JPG file.  I am on the free version.  Is that the issue?  I understood I could still export a high res JPG using the free version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note:  Neither the PDF or PSD file is something I can use.  So if that is the only way to get a high resolution file, then Fresco is useless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wendy. 

You can export a high-res PNG from a PDF. Will that work for you?

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exporting the PDF to my desktop.  It looked pretty bad on screen (it left impressions of the brush stamp rather than the paint itself) and then tried to open the PDF in GIMP to take a look at the details which said it was at 100 ppi.  So it didn't appear that actually brought in the 200 ppi original settings either.  I can't see where to export to JPG from the PDF either.  In any event, all of these workarounds make Fresco a poor alternative.  Will it be the same if I pay for Fresco?  That would truly be tragic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wendy. 

If you're opening it in Gimp, try it with a PSD. I'm not familiar with that software but export options can usually be accessed from the File menu so take a look there. 

And, yes, the export options in the paid version of Fresco are the same (with a Creative Cloud subscription it is possible to open Fresco work in Illustrator and Photoshop). 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Adobe claim that a high resolution JPG can be exported then?  A 96 ppi file is definitely NOT high resolution.  It is useless for printing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, looks like I can work around this by:  Saving as a PSD, importing into GIMP, then exporting as a JPG from GIMP.  It appears to have kept the canvas size and resolution that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines