• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fresco Still not compatible...

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for Fresco to be compatible with my AMD GPU.

Which is way more powerfull than anything in a iPad or Surface Tablet, and yet the Windows version of this App (after all these months) still doesnt support it.

I notice it support NVidia display adapters... (/inset conspiracy theory here...)

Why not mainstream AMD, and why only AMD on HP?

Currently I am HAVING to use Corel Painter (which IMHO is total bloatware) and pass files backwards and forwards between Photoshop CC to get my work done.
This is crap considering I PAY ADOBE A FORTUNE for CC, and yet I have to use 3rd party apps to get the job done.

So if there is a Beta for Fresco that will run with AMD GPUs then sign me up.

TOPICS
Activation installation and billing , Cross-product , Device , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it takes a while for programers to make their apps compatible with all the possible hardware which is available.

Over time we have seen Fresco added to more and more devices, hopefully AMD will be on their list across more than HP as well.

Have you considered adding a request to the Fresco UserVoice page? There has been a few requests for AMD support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Completely not so..

The developers have to program to the API, not the Hardware level. They have a choice of 3:-

• DirectX, developed by Microsoft and only really intended for gaming.
  • OpenGL, Originally developed by Silicon Graphics in the 1990's still in use today for Games, apps, and extensions (this wold be the safe way to go).
  • Vulcan. A superset of OpenGL, originally called OpenGLNext. Like OpenGL, it's open source and supported by most mainstream GPUs including a lot of the older ones. This API is still being actively developed by the Khronos Group, and supports technologies such as Android, and Ray Tracing. (This would be the direction I would go if I were developing).

Nobody would even consider coding directly for the hardware, that would be incredibly difficult (and pointless).

Without having Fresco in front of me, ot's hard to say, but I would think Fresco is written to use calls to OpenGL, as it runs on Windows Surface, and Apple IOS (IOS uses Metal, which is Apple's proprietry OpenGL API Subset).

So there is basicly NO REASON why Fresco can't run on an AMD Radeon R7 or above, as all those GPUs are still recieving updated drivers wor windows, Linux, and Mac OS from AMD.

I expect the reason for the lack of a compatible version is either down to licensing costs for the teachnologies used in Fresco (Adobes probably used someone elses tech in development) or that there is no will to develop it (the market exists, maybe Adobe just consider it too low priority to bother with). Another alternative could be that HP, Apple, and Microsoft Surface division all paid the development costs of the app on thier platform (this would explain the obscure HP requirement for the AMD GPU version).

Crosss porting is relativly easy these days, the developer just has to want to do it in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines