• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you select off-white, beige, grey, brown, etc. colors to paint with?

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to figure out how to use the color wheel to do this but I can't seem to make it work.  You can select blackish colors by clicking on the black circle to the lower left of the color wheel.  If you click the white circle to the upper left of the color wheel you can select and very light blues, yellows, reds, etc ... but not off-white, beige, grey, brown, etc as far as I can see.   What am I missing?

TOPICS
Color , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using the color wheel requires two selections, since color can be considered to have 3 parameters: Hue, Saturation and Brightness.

1. Use the wheel itself to select the hue you want from the circular rainbow of colors.
  2. Use the square within the wheel to pick the saturation (left to right) and brightness (bottom to top).

For example, the upper left is the most unsaturated but brightest (white). The upper right is the most saturated bright color for the hus you've picked. colors closer to the bottom are darker until you get to black (least bright). All the colors you mention are within the rectangle after you've selected the hue color. Here, I've selected an off-white, sort of mauve/tan color:

ColorWheel.png.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines