• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete Adobe Fresco file from iPad but NOT delete the same file in Creative Cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete an Adobe Fresco file from my iPad but keep (do not delete) the same file in Adobe Creative Cloud?

My iPad (not iCloud; not Creative Cloud) keeps running out of space; so I want to remove the local files, but keep the same files in the cloud. 

I was actually able to do this by deleting the entire Fresco app (and all of its data) from my iPad and then reinstall it. That, in and of itself, is not a good user experience; plus that hack “solution” removes all of the user’s application preferences and the user has to deal with the new user on-boarding experience again.  

When this happened the first time I lost a large document I spent hours on because the app got hung up after I actually did make room on my iPad. 

Please help.  I know this has to be a common problem. 

Thank you,

Michelle

TOPICS
How-to , Syncing & Storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019
Michelle. One of the engineers suggested this alternative: 1) Go to Cloud Documents organizer and locate the document. 2) Tap the ellipsis icon (...) under the thumnail 3) Tap “Make available offline” 4) After the green mark has appeared for the document, tap on that same ... icon again but his time tap on “Make online-only." 5) Wait for the green mark to change into a cloud icon and give some time for the space taken by the document in the device to be removed. This should create more space o...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Hi @HMachine1,

We are sorry for the trouble. I am afraid it is not possible as the Fresco app is a cloud-based app. In order for it to work, creative cloud storage is required. However, there is a workaround.
You may export the finished or old projects that are no longer required, export them as PSD, and save them locally. Now, you can delete the PSD exported project from Fresco to make more space in the Creative cloud.

These PSD files can be imported again in Fresco, and they will be editabl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle. 

A couple of things: 

Are you really out of space on your device? You can check this by going to your device Settings > General > iPad Storage. I'm asking because there is a bug that's causing people to get this alert even though they have adequate device storage (I've been told we'll be releasing an update with a fix for this very soon).

Since the document is a Cloud Document, if you delete it from your device you will also delete it from Creative Cloud. Are you able to export the drawing as PSD? If you can do that you can export it, then delete the file in Fresco, but still have the PSD that can be reimported if/when you want to work on the drawing again. 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue. Thank you for your response.

Yes, I’m definitely running out of space on my device. In fact, I frequently check iPad Storage under General Settings. I do this because I’m afraid of Fresco freezing up and losing my work again.

I have tried exporting it as a PSD but it takes so long that I haven’t been able to wait until it’s done processing. Deleting the app and then reinstalling it is easier/faster. Actually, as far as I know, Fresco could be hung up on something. It’s difficult to tell if some software is taking a long time to process or if there’s a problem. (This is why, as a UX designer, I advise using a progress bar based on real progress versus a spinning icon.)

Again, I appreciate your response. At least I have closure knowing my desired functionality does not exist.  But please add it to the “suggestion box”! 😊

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle. One of the engineers suggested this alternative: 1) Go to Cloud Documents organizer and locate the document. 2) Tap the ellipsis icon (...) under the thumnail 3) Tap “Make available offline” 4) After the green mark has appeared for the document, tap on that same ... icon again but his time tap on “Make online-only." 5) Wait for the green mark to change into a cloud icon and give some time for the space taken by the document in the device to be removed. This should create more space on the device and at the same time will keep the document in “Cloud Only” mode until you change it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am, over 3 years later, and there is still not a solution to this problem. 

I, too, would like to delete files from my Fresco iPad app so I can make space on my iPad to make more documents but when I delete them they also disappear from my Creative Cloud. This does not make any sense because the whole point of having the Creative Cloud is to be able to share projects across my devices and not have to have them locally stored. I tried the solution suggested (making them offline and then online again) and it does not work.

Please let me know if there is another solution that actually works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah, please make sure that

1. we can export fresco format with all app meta

2 we can set-up local location to save our work inside fresco setting, no connection to the good job creative cloud do.

3. Final, if you can use the iPad hardware to export the work in RAW Fresco Format with metadata and copywriter. That use as final version of the work like a camera raw and can not be altered. As lightroom can handle camera raw, it would be able to read fresco raw.

thanks, one of this options will make our life better. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, I have experienced the same thing. It feels as if Fresco is caching data locally while working on a file. There should be an option in the preferences to clear the cache but there isn't. Many times I have been able to clear enough space to open my file simply by closing down other open apps. 

I also removed a bunch of apps from my iPad that I wasn't using often, just to clear up extra space for Fresco. It isn't the best user experience, but we also have to remember this is the 1.0 release of the app. I'm confident it will get better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa. Thanks for your response.

I too will close down all other open apps to increase performance. Although I haven’t noticed a difference, I still do it anyway.

And I also removed a number of apps from my iPad that were taking up a large amount of space. (It’s so nice that iOS provides space and usage information under iPad Storage.)

And then I’ve also gotten into the habit of cleaning up my files: removing unnecessary junk, flattening masks, merging layers ... anything I can think of that might be increasing the file size. I also discovered the other day that if you look at the files in list view (versus the default grid view) you can see how large they are. That is helpful.

I’m in software development, so fortunately I know it will get better as Adobe iterates and releases new versions. Besides this space issue, I really enjoy using Fresco. In the meantime, when I run out of space, I will continue deleting the app and then reinstalling it. It’s not ideal, but it does what I want: frees space and doesn’t delete files in the cloud.

Thanks again!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa. Thanks for your response. I too will close down all other open apps to increase performance. Although I haven’t noticed a difference, I still do it anyway. And I also removed a number of apps from my iPad that were taking up a large amount of space. (It’s so nice that iOS provides space and usage information under iPad Storage.) And then I’ve also gotten into the habit of cleaning up my files: removing unnecessary junk, flattening masks, merging layers ... anything I can think of that might be increasing the file size. I also discovered the other day that if you look at the files in list view (versus the default grid view) you can see how large they are. That is helpful. I’m in software development, so fortunately I know it will get better as Adobe iterates and releases new versions. Besides this space issue, I really enjoy using Fresco. In the meantime, when I run out of space, I will continue deleting the app and then reinstalling it. It’s not ideal, but it does what I want: frees space and doesn’t delete files in the cloud. Thanks again! Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No chash it is saving every file on the device and no one have access to it, as long as we pay them they don't really care. I do not going to pay adobe until they solve the problem with Apple in the picture. I am tracing it for 6 month no one is even trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't put your money on it. I'm using the app 3 years later and still having the same issue. I hope that someone from Adobe replies with a new solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @HMachine1,

We are sorry for the trouble. I am afraid it is not possible as the Fresco app is a cloud-based app. In order for it to work, creative cloud storage is required. However, there is a workaround.
You may export the finished or old projects that are no longer required, export them as PSD, and save them locally. Now, you can delete the PSD exported project from Fresco to make more space in the Creative cloud.

These PSD files can be imported again in Fresco, and they will be editable.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HavI did that 6 month ago, guess what the space is cleared little bit but all fresco files stay on the iPad, for everrrr no way to find where.... big secret we are to stupid not allowed to know. As no one knows ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not delete your app, all this issue not make sense at all. I gone to the extent of buying all adobe application in creative cloud. It looks like no one see the unic place of IpadPro for us, artists. Only in illustrator desktop it let you export as illustrator format. If you can save fresco format your work will be saved. Cloud do not let you download in Fresco format. So fresco cloud space is usless. In fresco you can set every work work to keep on cloud only copy, online only. This reduce space but Apple still keep a copy on the system. The problem is adobe not Apple. They gave us excellent Software but dictating how we should use it. Sorry on the rant. It looks that A year of work, I need to move back to Krita, without the brilliant iPad Pro. And Fresco. It eyed my best to communicate with adobe, wast of time. Krita is open source, do not run on iPad. I use huion tablet on win 11 risen 9 amd laptop. Since the iPad they gather dust, now iPad is full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines