• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live brushes leak under masks

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a mask, hide it by sliding it to the right, and then paint over a large area using a "live brush".  If I then delete the mask, I find that the whole area I painted shows paint.  In other words, the mask did not mask the area.  I think of the mask as the same as "masking fluid" in real watercolors -- it should prevent any paint from leaking under the masked area.  Do I misunderstand the purposes of masking, or is this a bug?

TOPICS
Live brushes , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

In this case, you're misunderstanding how masks work. A layer mask is a way of dynamically hidingnoarts of a layer. Black conceals, and white reveals, showing the selected portions of the underlying layer. A mask can be painted on to hide or reveal additional parts of a layer after the fact. 

If you're trying to restrict the flow of live paint, you need to paint within an active selection. Masks only hide areas, they don't prevent you from painting anywhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, you're misunderstanding how masks work. A layer mask is a way of dynamically hidingnoarts of a layer. Black conceals, and white reveals, showing the selected portions of the underlying layer. A mask can be painted on to hide or reveal additional parts of a layer after the fact. 

If you're trying to restrict the flow of live paint, you need to paint within an active selection. Masks only hide areas, they don't prevent you from painting anywhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you!  A very clear explanation I could not find anywhere else.  (I just wish selections survived the closing and reopening of Fresco.)
Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines