• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Photoshop Docs in Fresco with layers

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a photoshop file with about 40 layers into Fresco in the hopes I could do some painting between and on some of those layers. Unfortunalty it seems that the (most) of the layers are merged into one layer with a little PS icon next to it. Is there a way to un-group these layers and paint within the actual photoshop file or is this what they mean "to seamlessly work in Adobe Fresco and Photoshop."? Just painting on top of the file?

TOPICS
Cross-product , Layers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Hi Flahs.

Theresa is right. I'm not an expert in Photoshop so I asked one of our designers about this. To paraphrase her:

There are a few Photoshop layer types that Fresco doesn't understand. Fresco collapses these layers into groups, called Photoshop preview object which preserves those layers so that when the file is reopened in Photoshop, those layers will all be edtiable again.

The layer types most prone to this are going to be clipped layers and adjustment layers. And they can't curre

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

The problem still persists, there's a way to "fix" it. Convert all the "extra features" from photoshop (fx, mask, etc.) into smart object, then you can open it in fresco and see all the layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure there is no way to unpack the layers inside of Fresco. You can paint on a new layer and when you return to Photoshop, you will see the new paint layer. It definitely isn't as seamless as we would like, but hopefully that funtionality gets added in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flahs.

Theresa is right. I'm not an expert in Photoshop so I asked one of our designers about this. To paraphrase her:

There are a few Photoshop layer types that Fresco doesn't understand. Fresco collapses these layers into groups, called Photoshop preview object which preserves those layers so that when the file is reopened in Photoshop, those layers will all be edtiable again.

The layer types most prone to this are going to be clipped layers and adjustment layers. And they can't currently be "non-destructively unpacked"  in Fresco; converting the group to a pixel layer would flatten the entire group into a single editable layer and although it's possible to enter transform mode any type of transform on a Photoshop preview object layer group would also flatten it into a single editable layer.

About the only things that are possible (non-destructively) are show/hide and eyedropper/color select.

I hope that helps. 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope a solution to this comes up soon. I have a job to do and chose Fresco for the finishing look so this really sucks. I'm currently stuck and feel I have to invest in Corel Painter to do the job. Don't make promises you can't keep. "seemlessly" pffft.

- not satisfied customer who pays a load of money every month for the Adobe pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je ne vois pas ce que Corel pourrait faire de mieux que de Photoshop..... Faites les corrections souhaitées dans FRESCO, puis ouvrez de nouveau votre fichier dans Photoshop sur votre ordinateur pouisque vous payez pour la suite Adobe !!!! Il n'y a rien d'incohérant dans ce fonctionnement !

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution to the problem: Fresco is not friendly with layer styles and color correction layers. I also pulled out all the layers from the groups (I noticed that Fresco is also not very friendly with them). But if you first rasterize the layer styles in Photoshop and merge the layers with color correction, then everything opens correctly and you can edit all the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pas très bien comme solution, vous perdez tous les bénéfices d'un traitement non-destructif ! Je pense que nous devons apprendre à travailler par couche et par étapes successives sans chercher à tromper le logiciel !

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem and I solved it. you cannot edit layers that has effects added in photoshop UNLESS you rasterize all the layers with the effects. Then when you open again on Fresco, it will be all normal again. So its better to have an extra Psd files with the non rasterized effects in case there's more editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still persists, there's a way to "fix" it. Convert all the "extra features" from photoshop (fx, mask, etc.) into smart object, then you can open it in fresco and see all the layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the latest versions of Fresco & Photoshop, I figured out a workaround. On the Photoshop layer in Fresco choose Mask Layer Contents. Choose Mask from the pop up dialog that's telling you it has to flatten the layer to create a mask. You can now delete  the mask, and your original PS layer is now a pixel layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines