Pixelated

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to adapt to Fresco after using Draw for some years following on from the original Ideas, which I loved.

With Ideas and Draw my drawings were always crystal clear no matter how much I zoomed in and when I exported them in PDF format they stayed that way.

With Fresco, during the drawing process the line quality seems to deteriorate the more I add. This is especially the case when I merge layers together. The end result is hopelessly pixelated when I zoom in, and although the exported PDF image size is large, it's equally hopeless in terms of clarity.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a built in penalty for using the free version?

TOPICS
Layers, Performance, Publish & export, Vector Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pixelated

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to adapt to Fresco after using Draw for some years following on from the original Ideas, which I loved.

With Ideas and Draw my drawings were always crystal clear no matter how much I zoomed in and when I exported them in PDF format they stayed that way.

With Fresco, during the drawing process the line quality seems to deteriorate the more I add. This is especially the case when I merge layers together. The end result is hopelessly pixelated when I zoom in, and although the exported PDF image size is large, it's equally hopeless in terms of clarity.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a built in penalty for using the free version?

TOPICS
Layers, Performance, Publish & export, Vector Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, and I don't think it is a built in penalty for using the free version.

Fresco uses shapes for vector rather than a true point to point vector line. I think this is more likely the cause for the slight pixelation we get in Fresco when using the Vector brushes..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I assumed Fresco would use vector in the same way as Ideas and Draw? Maybe I'm being overly demanding, but the difference doesn't seem slight to me. I'm attaching some close ups close ups for comparison. Fresco is the top one, Draw next, Ideas at the bottom.

9C380F81-A1D8-4BC2-96E3-DC366903BC59.pngA33E2242-05C1-437F-A124-5CBD776456E1.pngD37465EE-D44F-4C61-A8EC-01DEA2CD9A6A.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size of file are you working with? What DPI? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your question. I didn't knowingly chose any DPI. I thought when using vector this was unnecessary. Draw was a relatively simple program to use and all I had to chose was paper shape. I did the same with Fresco. I use only vector brushes. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hodmandod. 

What version of Fresco were you using when you exported these PDFs? There was a bug in v2.0.4 so make sure you're using v2.0.5 and give PDF export another go. 

Let me know. You should be getting the same quality export you had in Adobe Ideas and Adobe Draw.

Sue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sue,

I remember you helping me with the transition from Ideas to Draw! I found that so hard at the time. Draw is second nature to me now and I'm finding it equally hard when Fresco doesn't respond to the finger gestures (for undoing the last action, especially) I've become used to. 

To answer your question, yes, I'm using v.2.0.5. It isn't a problem of export, though. The pixelation is occurring in the app itself. I have an image with two layers, both of which were made up of several merged down layers.  One of these layers is crystal clear; the other isn't. Yet they were drawn in an identical way.

My memory is that during one of the merge downs, the fuzziness suddenly appeared. Initially, it was only in the layer I was merging down, but as I worked on the merged layer itself, the fuzziness seemed to spread. 

Shortly after this I found the paint brush no longer drew lines. Although I was working on a layer that wasn't hidden, I kept getting a warning that I wasn't able to draw on a hidden layer. Eventually, I closed the app, restarted my iPad, reopened Fresco and it worked okay again. But the fuzzy pixilation remained.

I'm going to try and recreate what I did before it went wrong and see how that goes.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicholas. 

I know you work primarily with the vector tools but you're not by any chance merging a Vector Layer with a Pixel Layer or a Vector Layer with an Image Layer are you?

As soon as you merge a Vector Layer with either of those two layer types it becomes a Pixel Layer. 

Let me know. 

Sue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sue,

I'm beginning to think I must have done this - inadvertently. 

I've been fumbling around so much trying to get to grips with Fresco anything is possible.

Occasionally I've selected a pixel brush by mistake but I only need to do one stroke to realise my mistake. However, I think I must have switched layers after doing this without undoing the brush mark and then merged that layer down later thinking it had something else in it.

Many thanks for the explanation,

Nicholas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicholas. 

It's a lot learning a new app and it's really, really easy to pick up the pixel brushes 1. without even realizing it and 2. without even thinking about how they differ. 

Do let me know if you notice it again and neither scenario is true. (Layer groups will cause pixellation too but I believe that's only noticeable on export.)

Sue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0