• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Photoshop group/layer combinations in Fresco

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do apologise if I've missed something, or this has been answered before.

Although I'm a Photoshop user of old, on my MacBook, I've only recently started to use Fresco on my iPad (now an iPad Pro 2020/Apple pencil) for any amount of time.

What confuses me is that, sometimes, when I open a cloud document version of a Photoshop Painting, one time it would open showing all the layers and groups. 

But, more often than not the original file opens in Fresco, showing the image as it was last processed, with all the previous groups collected together under a group with a “PS” identifier.

I haven't found a way to access those layers in Fresco (I can open them in Photoshop on the iPad, but I then don't have the brushes and control I can get using Fresco)

Am I missing something that is stopping me opening these layer and groups, from Photoshop, directly into Fresco

TOPICS
Device , How-to , Layers , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do Apologise, but I forgot to add this to the original post.

Photoshop, and Fresco, are all subscription paid versions (not the free versions), and, other than the reported issue, everything else seems to be working fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smudger.

There are a few Photoshop layer types that Fresco doesn't understand. Since they can't currently be "non-destructively unpacked" in Fresco, they are collapsed into groups (Photoshop preview object) which preserves them so that when the file is reopened in Photoshop, they will again be editable. 

The layer types most prone to this are adjustment layers.  About the only things that are possible (non-destructively) on those layers are show/hide and Eyedropper/color select.

Does that sound like what's going on?

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, yep that is exactly what's happening. Looks like I will have to wait until there's a suitable update sometime in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

Do you know if there are any plans within the Fresco team to address this problem, and if so do you know when it can be expected to be fixed? Many thanks in advance for your answer.egards,

Jon

Kind r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jonk80455617,

I appreciate your inquiry. However, it's important to note that the behavior you're observing in Fresco is not a bug that requires fixing. It's a deliberate choice made due to the different imaging models used in Photoshop and Fresco. Preserving layers seamlessly across both applications poses certain technical challenges.

If you have specific features or improvements in mind related to this interaction, feel free to share them on the Fresco UserVoice forum (https://adobe.ly/3Oex8mz). This platform allows users to suggest and upvote ideas, providing valuable insights for the development team.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul,

Thank you for your prompt answer. I understand - so no bug. May I then ask if there is a guaranteed way of avoiding these for me very time consuming collapses of layers? For instance, if I would totally avoid using photoshop to edit layers - would that do the trick? Or could I run into the same type of collapses by merely saving my paintings in photoshop format (as prompted when saving my painting to my files) and then re-open them for further editing in Fresco? Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Kind regards,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think avoiding Photoshop to edit layers would help. In my experience, though Fresco works amazingly going into Photoshop, it doesn't quite work as well the other way around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines