• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unacceptable lag in Fresco on my new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9”

Participant ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lag in Fresco makes drawing impossible. Any tips to improve performance?

TOPICS
Device , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Hi ManOfNumenor.

I'm on the Fresco team and we're investigating reports of extreme lag in Fresco; I'm going to be messaging (from my Adobe  email  address) at the email addy you're using in the forums.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be looking at how much space you have or how good your internet speed is to start with.

Are you creating extremely large files with lots of small details or is it lagy as soon as you open the app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new 2020 iPad Pro with 1 TB of free space and a high speed connection. But an internet connection shouldn't be necessary to sketch a picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, it shouldn't but it's always helpful to check.

Have you done the general uninstall, reinstall and any other basic troubleshooting?

I've done many drawings on mine, it has much less than 1TB and I have no lag at all.

Which leads to the thought that there may have been a glitch during installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did uninstall and reinstall and that helped some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ManOfNumenor.

I'm on the Fresco team and we're investigating reports of extreme lag in Fresco; I'm going to be messaging (from my Adobe  email  address) at the email addy you're using in the forums.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I've been experiencing extreme lag on fresco anytime I work for longer than 8 hours on a project. It doesn't seem linked to the physical size of the file, but rather the memory of the file (if that makes sense)? I've been searching message boards for answers for months now and nothing. 

Did you find an answer, and can you help me? I have an iPad Pro 9.7" and an Apple Pencil 1. My iPad has plenty of space and pretty much only runs Fresco and a couple of smaller apps. 

It's extremely frustrating, and I'm getting to the point where I think I need to suspend my subscription because longer commissions take laughable amounts of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stelleaux, 

Sorry you're having these issues. There have been reports of the complexity of the file causing lag. I'm sorry that I cannot remember the sequence of events that led to my solution. I hope the engineers can get back to you like they contacted me.

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stelleaux.

I'm responding right now to the email you sent through Fresco's Report A Bug link.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I also have major lag issues in Adobe fresco. I only use the vector round brush and once I reach a certain drawing density the app is painfully slow. I do my best to be as efficient with my layer. I try to not out too much info on each layer. But it doesn't seem to help. Canvas size doesn't seem to solve the problem either. I only have 1 app on my iPad Pro and that's fresco. I tried to un install and re install this did not help. I've gone as far as buying the new I pad pro yet the problem still persists. I used to use Adobe draw but seeing as Adobe said they will no longer be updating the app I have been forced to migrate my process to fresco. I called Adobe today and I was on hold for 2.5 hours before someone answered. I was informed by the rep that "Adobe is aware of the problem and that they will be releasing an entirely new version of fresco at the end of the month October 2020 that will fix all the issues" I'm not sure I believe this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike. 

I'm sorry about this. I know how frustrating it is to have a file that doesn't respond. 

This is an issue of complexity created by vector content. It doesn't affect everyone because it does have a bit to do with people's drawing styles (drawing a lot of short meticulous strokes with hard start/stop points, excessive fills especially in small areas, and multiple layer merges can all contribute to it), but we have been hearing about it from more and more people.

Unfortunately, the information you were given over the phone is not quite accurate: Although the team is aware of the problem, the next build will not fix all of the issues that contribute to it. It will, however, contain an "experimental" function that people can use to simplify complex documents... something we hope will solve the severe lag that many people are experiencing. It's the first step, of what will probably be many, toward a complete solution.

You didn't mention what you're doing when  you experience the most stalling: Is it when you're drawing? Or filling? Or does it primarily happen on zoom/pan?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue. Thank you and your team for always having such thoughtful responses on these boards. I left a detailed post about this as well (mostly around pixel painting brushes) and was wondering if this "experimental" option would pertain to me, when would be available and will it cause sacrifice quality? Doing pro work and the lag is making it very difficult. My original post is here:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/fresco/significant-lag-making-me-sad/td-p/11476901?page=1

Thanks, as always keep up the great work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dclock. 

Sorry I never noticed that other post. 

You've touched on the reason (a sacrifice in quality) that makes a fix for this issue particularly challenging...  it requires a careful solution because it will affect anyone who uses the app despite the fact that it often has a lot to do with individual drawing styles.  So the team will be progressing methodically with any fixes.

A couple of things: The "experimental" fix that's going into the next build has not proven to result  in a loss of quality.The simplification is also reversible.  The reason it's experimental is because it's the only way the team can know that the option actually works well for a large number of people.

Hope that helps a little. 

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still have a lot of lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way anyone can assit me as I am encountering the same issues now, especially when trying to fill, its taking about 3-5 mintues to fill shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jorgevalera.

I'm sorry about this extreme lag.  A couple of quick questions: Are you using the vector drawing tools? And also vector fill?

If you are, we have heard this from a number of people since the most recent release of Fresco and the team is already investigating it and attempting to resolve the problems that people are having. But let me know if you're using the vector drawing tools.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is happening to me as well and i think it's because of all that was said before- many layers and layer merges, lots of tiny vector FILLS, mostly vector everything. And now any time I even just zoom/close up, it'll load for forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm actually it happens right when I begin a new project...
--
granddaughterbakeshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the app and I am having extreme delay. I'm just drawing with the basic round brush, in black, that's it. It's super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this issue with fresco a couple of weeks ago.  I do large detailed drawings but they are pixel only. No vector. I do not have excessive layers. The delay is both with drawing and with gestures. It is almost unusable. What is being done? This kills the whole point of Fresco. Hiding layers helps a little, but not much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a theory about what the issue is. I think it has to do with undo. Keeping every stroke history so you can undo back to the beginning is a huge overhead for the drawing. I know one reason you do this is so we can have the supper cook time lapse video. But it would be nice if once in a while you could do a saveas which would start the undo cycle over. That way you don't loose what you have in your old file. But you get to continue to work on your file without a month's worth of undos hanging over your head. It is just my theory. I know I could open the file in photoshop and resave it and import it back into fresco but I want to maintain my environment. I want my recent colors and I want all my layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be right. Good thought. It's starting to happen to me again (lag vanished after I reinstalled Fresco.) It happens most when I'm using the pencil at a small size and doing detail strokes. And it effects applying strokes and zooming with gesture. I wonder if doing a Rename duplicate, or reopening from a version history resets it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ellen5FB6 and @dclock 

A couple of things that might be helpful:
* Because they are stored locally, timelapse videos can cause a lag (especially if your settings are for higher quality/resolution videos). It could have something to do with why uninstalling solves the problem (timelapse videos are deleted when uninstalling the app). 

* Drawings do have a version history (tap the ellipses icon under the drawing thumbnail). Any synced version of the drawing will show up there. That might help with making sure you have a previous version of your document so that you don't have to worry too much about undos (the ability to undo refreshes every time you close the document)

If you're still having trouble with this lag, please message me through Fresco's in-app Report A Bug link (App Settings > Help > Support > Report A Bug) so I can see all of your device/app information and help troubleshoot. 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue,

Ok I did a save as on my drawing to create a new version. I didn't even know you could do that. The lagging is significantly reduced. I hardly noticed it at all. Just once in a while when i changed colors. So this seems to fix the problem. Also I was surprised that the whole timelapse is still there in my copy. I wasn't expecting that. thank you for your help.

ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ellen.

When you say you did a "Save as," do you mean that you saved your edits and allowed the changes to sync to Creative Cloud? Let me know, I'm curious whether you're doing something different.

Timelapse videos aren't (usually) removed unless the app is uninstalled so you should be pretty safe with syncing/saving. 

Sue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines