• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(#15)Can't initialize target. [VSCode ES Debugger]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed ExtendScript Debugger extension for VSCode on Mac and followed all the instructions (including troubleshooting), however selection of the target application does not work with error "(#15)Can't initialize target." for all CC apps I have installed on Mac. Is the fix coming? Could you suggest how I can troubleshoot this?

• macOS Mojave v10.14.1
  • VSCode v1.31.1
  • ExtendScript Debugger v1.0.0
TOPICS
ExtendScript Debugger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

ExtendScript Debugger extension conflicts ESTK and you should stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

this just force quit my whole vs code app why would you post this 

WARNING THIS WILL CRASH YOUR VSCODE  INSTANTLY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE 

killall "Code Helper (Renderer)"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExtendScript Debugger extension conflicts ESTK and you should stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ten, uninstalling ESTK was indeed the right solution for my problem. It might help others if Adobe adds this to troubleshooting FAQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a second, I wrote a lot of the FAQ...

In the "Troubleshooting" section of the VSCode Marketplace page it's the first bullet point:

• Make sure the ESTK stand-alone application is closed

Granted, in the VSCode app I found it's a lot of scrolling past large gifs to see that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read this part in the FAQ and ensured no ESTK process was running, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work until I completely uninstalled ESTK. Maybe an issue specific to my machine, but I'm glad Ten pointed me to the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it was not sufficient to close ESTK.

I restarted my PC and it works (without uninstalling ESTK)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to uninstall the ESTK, too. Just closing it or restarting had no effect, the error mentioned above stayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use App Activity Monitor and kill all of the CodeHelper processes. Sometimes I forget about doing this and have a couple more clicks to get it working again.

By the way, it's super annoying how multiple windows of VSCode have to be closed and re-opened to switch the debug session to another product.

Also, I was debugging the other night - my variables started to contain either not the right data, or the global data.

I think I got the latest VSCode add-on right, unless there's another place to get a new-er update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly-V  wrote

By the way, it's super annoying how multiple windows of VSCode have to be closed and re-opened to switch the debug session to another product.

Multiple debug sessions is a noted feature request.

I think I got the latest VSCode add-on right, unless there's another place to get a new-er update?

We're expecting an updated version tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Silly-V . Your "kill all CodeHelper process" did the trick for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled ESTK and rebooted and I'm still getting "(#15)Can't initialize target."

I choose "Select the target application", choose After Effects, (if it's closed, I'm prompted to open it: yes/no), then I get the #15 error.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have tried all the  above but no one was working for me.

Finally after closing all my VSCode projects and launch only the one who use VSCode ExtendScript Debugger it worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that does not work for me. I even restarted my Mac, but "select target application" in the VSCode ExtendScript Debugger has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some for me. Works fine if I target illustrator CC 2018 but the report  (#15)Can't initialize target comes up if I try to use CC2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jeferystillsinit,

Which version of VSCode are you running?  (I've seen that make a difference.) And which version of the Debugger plugin? Which speific build of Illustrator? And what's your OS? Did you restart and do the other troubleshooting steps?

If Illustrator 2020 really can't be targeted that's a big problem, but I want to be sure I'm trying to reproduce your set up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually reinstalled the OS as there where other issues with printing
pdf’s and the issue seems to have resolved itself. It seems to be working
now.

Thanks

[Removed Personal Info by MOD. Be Careful to post from Email reply.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I've got it running - by getting a new MacBook and not installing ESTK. Accidentally, one day I got ESTK installed again and the VSCode debugger stopped working. I could solve that by de-installing ESTK and then rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work on my mac, Adobe where is the leadership on this, I should have clear instructions on this are kidding me, i wish i had four arm to give you four thumbs down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the bad advice dude. You’re the best at not being any help.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. You should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody watch this the answer to all your dreams. https://youtu.be/a90H-Pf61LQ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting:

(#15)Can't initialize target.

Even though I have not loaded ESTK for months. It happens once or twice a day and I have to reboot to get back to work.  How do I fix this!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really still no published answer for this? I have been out of the loop with ESTK/InDesign scripting for nearly a year, and remember this was a big headache. 

Started writing some now, initially all was OK, but suddenly I got the dreaded "(#15)Can't initialize target"

I don't Have ExtendScript Toolkit running on this mac.

and this is my launch.json file:

{
"version": "0.2.0",
"configurations": [

{
"type": "extendscript-debug",
"request": "launch",
"name": "myCompanyName",
"program": "${workspaceFolder}/addPageLines.jsx",
"stopOnEntry": false
}
]
}

Any help gratefully received!
Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bei mir hat folgendes geholfen:

Visual Studio Code beenden.

Im Terminal folgenden Befehl ausführen:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just force quit my whole vs code app why would you post this 

WARNING THIS WILL CRASH YOUR VSCODE  INSTANTLY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Dont Know Why But Photoshop Must Be Close When You Select Target Application Inside Vscdoe So You Will See Yes No Prompt In Vscode When Click Select Target Application 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines