• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CEP and modern frameworks.

Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, my apologies if this posted to the wrong forum. It seems the "new" CEP forum has already disappeared after just two years (or less, most likely).

Now I have successfully created an Adobe CEP extension, but it was a very simple one and I was able to do so with just simple HTML and JavaScript. I did manage to get TypeScript working with it (both in the js and the jsx contexts), but it was still mostly meant as a means for me to get my feet wet with CEP and TypeScript.

I now have a much larger project. One that is at least two or three of orders of magnitude larger.

I would still like to leverage TypeScript on this project and use OOP principles (of which I am still learning as I go), but I also see that it might be helpful to also leverage a framework so I won't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to many common actions.

For example, I'll need this panel to interact with a MySQL database. Now, I could just add the mysql JavaScript driver and code its implementation by hand (I did this with the Java app that I created a few years ago, which is what this CEP extension will be replacing). However, it might be more beneficial to use an ORM such as Sequelize or, more likely, TypeORM since it leverages TypeScript.

Doing more research, I thought that perhaps I may even want to use LoopBack, as it does even more stuff than just an ORM and even resembles something close to Laravel, which is a PHP framework with which I am quite familiar. So I then thought about frameworks and thought that React or (more likely) Angular might be something I could go with since they have even more tools out-of-the-box I could leverage to help build this extension.

And here is where I find myself: overwhelmed with information, stuck in analysis paralysis, and not sure where to go from here. As an example of one rabbit-hole I found myself in, I spent a half-hour trying to figure out what the `action` attribute of a `form` element should be in the HTML. I've found bits and pieces of information, such as this CEP starter setup that claims to use Angular to make a CEP extension, or this Adobe forum post from a user who says s/he has already created one in Angular… There's also a TypeScript starter, CSInterface-TS, and others. Whew.

I really would like to use a modern framework like Angular and Tailwind to help me build this extension, but just doesn't appear to be any good information out there to help me choose what's best and how to go about getting started. Sure, there's the official Github repositories with plenty of resources for building an extension out of plain HTML and JS, but nothing really helpful for using Angular or even just TypeScript to help build it.

Can anyone help me to get out of this analysis paralysis?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello there, I'm really at this point now and need some help, please tell me how this went for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Download & Install forum to Adobe Labs.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved from Labs to Exchange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @radiumrasheed.

Unfortunately, no, I haven't received any feedback, as you can see from this unanswered thread. While I was able to get my CEP going by using TypeScript, it was a bit kludgy. IIRC, I used PhpStorm and had two versions of a TypeScript transpiler going—one for the js context and one for the jsx context. However, I plan on abandoning this method for my future projects. Read on…

First, Adobe will be deprecating CEP in the near(-ish) future in favor of UXP. There is a great deal of discussion about this and was quite a frequent topic at the Creative Developers Summit last month. Although UXP is still in its infancy and being actively developed, it should start being available later this year (as I understand it). It's currently being used in Adobe's XD application. Since Adobe's long-term plan is to end support for CEP, I will eventually need to learn UXP, but I can't really wait for them to make it available. So, in the meantime, I've picked up Davide Barranca's new course.

I'm almost certain that, although the title of the course is JavaScript Native Applications for Photoshop, I'm certain it can also be used for other Adobe apps. I have yet to watch and work through the course (my boss just purchased it for us yesterday), but I may return to this thread and post my thoughts later on after I've had a chance to experiment with it.

For now, I recommend you hold off, if you can, before diving into CEP development since it's on its way out. If you have the means, I'm certain Davide Barranca's course will do what you need. If all else fails, let me know and I'll see if I can boot up this project again and see if I can describe how I have it set up in PhpStorm for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines