• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Completely uninstall Adobe Application Manager

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mistakenly installed Adobe Application Manager last night because I thought it was needed to make it easier to update my existing Adobe Reader v10 and my other Adobe products (AIR, Flash, Photoshop Elements, and Premier Elements). How stupid of me to not do my research FIRST!!! Now I can not get rid of the damned thing. It will not show up in the Windows Programs and Features program listing in the Control Panel so I can remove it that way and the instructions to completely remove AAM that are given on the web site simply do not work as I have NONE of the applications listed in AAM that purportedly will remove AAM if they are uninstalled.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

First let me say that my earlier instructions for removing AAM were only partially correct. Those instructions remove just the Creative Cloud part of AAM and should really only be used if you are having trouble running AAM with your Creative Cloud subscription.

If you are using most Adobe products then AAM is installed and is required for the product to run correctly. AAM is used for Creative Cloud, and is also used for perpetual licensing (when you enter a serial number). AAM also handles updati

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 149 Replies 149
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also was tricked into thinking that Adobe Application Manager would update the Adobe programs I have installed on my machine (Adobe Acrobat X Standard & Adobe Photoshop Elements 10).

I think this was a sneaky and underhanded way to get us to download this crap. I also do not want this Adobe Application Manager crap on my machine.

How can we remove/uninstall (Complete Uninstall) the Adobe Application Manager and remove any keys in our registry that were installed with this program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe application manager  is core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality. Removing Adobe Application Manager from your machine may result in incorrect functioning of your product like Photoshop elements and Premier Elements in your case.  So my recommendation would be not to remove Adobe Application Manager from your machine.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 16 programs listed in Adobe Application Manager:

Phoyoshop CS6

After Effects CS6

Adobe Premier Pro CS6 Family

InDesign CS6

Flash Professional CS6

Illustrator CS6

Fireworks CS6

Muse

Dreamweaver CS6

Audition CS6

SpeedGrade CS6

Prelude CS6

Flash Builder

Edge Animate preview

Abode X Pro

Touch App Plugins

These are all “Trial Products” that are either limited in features or limited by time, which will then need to be purchased or uninstalled. To me it looks like the “Adobe Application Manager” is a marketing tool used by Adobe to sell programs. Not one program listed is one I have installed. This manager is not needed as all the Adobe programs can be updated from the program.

That being said; How can we remove/uninstall (Complete Uninstall) the Adobe Application Manager and remove any keys in our registry that were installed with this program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Application Manager is not a marketing tool, and you can remove it from your system.

You will need to get the Adobe Cleaner Tool from here http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html. Launch the Adobe Cleaner tool and in the top right drop-down select Creative Cloud. In the list select Creative Cloud Installer and then click the button labelled 'Cleanup selected'. The Adobe Application Manager will be removed from your computer.

cleaner_tool_creative_cloud.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken G. Rice,

Thank you for taking the time to help us, it is greatly appreciated!

I tried searching for information on removing the Adobe Application Manager and found nothing about removing it.

Again thanks, I am sure there are others that will also find this information helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was another similar post today regarding the Adobe Application Manager http://forums.adobe.com/message/4719813#4719813. I am going to get a clear explanation on Monday and will share it in the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Adobe Application Manager download needs to have a better description as to what programs it supports.

I was under the impression it was also for updating Adobe Acrobat X Standard & Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

You have been a great help and I might also mention that the Adobe Application Manager no longer resides on my machine.

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also downloaded Adobe Application Manager as an update. I am running Elements 10, Flash 11, and Reader 8.1. I am wondering if AAM is needed to continue to recieve updates and maintain proper functionality for Elements?

I have read this post and the one listed above. After updating, I also realized that none of the programs listed in AAM are ones that I possess or want. When I go to my start menu and click on "Adobe Application Manager" (WIndows 7), it makes me enter my Adobe ID and password, then basically displays a list of programs that I can "install". I have also noticed that when I click on Help > Update in Photoshop Elements or Organizer, AAM comes up instead of my normal "checking for updates" window. This all seems pointless.

I do not wish to simply uninstall AAM if doing so inhibits "updater functionality" or causes "incorrect functioning" of Elements as described in the first response. I use my photoshop.com site frequently. However, it seems like this program is unnecessary for those of us running applications not listed in the app manager itself. Do I need it when I'm just running Elements 10? Also, as mentioned in the other post, will it be taken off my update list if I uninstall?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what this update is all about. I have CS6 Master Collection installed & registered, all previous updates applied, yet this new application manager indicates that about half my CS6 applications aren't installed. I'm confused. Can someone exlain what's going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HollicoGroup Look at Post #3.

Look at the programs that you think are not installed. Click on install and see what is offered, the program will not installed until you accept the installation.

When I looked at the programs that were offered for install they were all “Trial Products” that are either limited in features or limited by time, which you will then need to be purchased or uninstalled after the "Trial Period".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fixedHeartsDesign.

Follow Post #4.

I am running Adobe Acrobat X Standard, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Flash Player Ver. 11,4,402,278. I unstalled the Adobe Application Manager

and all these programs are functioning as designed, including updating.

Remember all these programs can be updated from inside the program. Open the program, click on "Help" then click on "Update" or "Check for Updates"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wet~Look

Thanks for answering my question about updater functionality and overall successful operation of Elements 10 after uninstall. I am still very confused by Vikas_CSI's post about App Manager being a core application that is:

"required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality. Removing AAM from your machine may result in incorrect functioning of products like Photoshop Elements..."

Seems pretty direct, should I be concerned about future issues if I want to upgrade or download more software? It would make sense if he was talking about applications that were actually listed in the App Manager. Also, once you uninstalled, did AAM reappear in your update list when you went to Help > Update > Check for Updates? If so, can you simply uncheck the box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikas_CSI

Reply to your Post #2.

We are still awaiting a reply from you, see post #13,

"Adobe application manager  is core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality."

Where did you get your information about "Adobe Application Manager" being the core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products

and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality.

Would you please provide the link for this information so the people with questions about this manager can read it for themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Rice:

THANK YOU!! This cleaner worked.

I do not understand how Adobe can put out a product (AAM) that does not

have an uninstall option built in to the product or in the Windows

Programs and Features program listing. Why does it take someone like

you, who obviously has done his research, to provide a solution to those

of us who MIGHT have found this cleaner eventually and Adobe can not?

Incomprehensible!

Sincerely,

Charles E. Laughlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre response. The cleaner didn’t work at all. The option isn’t there.

I think this decides it.

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cleaner didn't do squat for me!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HughLaFollette

Did you use the correct remover tool? There are two listed, one for Macintosh & one for Windows.

I used the windows tool which opens the dos prompt window and followed the directions. If you used the removal tool for windows, did you extracted the zip win folder to your desk top, then click on “AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool” and the dos window opens, type e (for English) tap Enter on your keyboard, the agreement opens in the dos window, accept it type y (for yes) tap enter on your keyboard, chose Creative Cloud by typing 3 and tap enter, the next dos window you need to quit the dos window as the "Adobe Application Manager" is now modified, type q (for Quit) then tap enter.

It doesn't remove the manager it removed all the trial programs “Adobe Application Manager” had listed. This manager is the new manager that Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 uses. I don’t know what other Adobe programs this manager is use for as I only have Adobe Acrobat X Standard, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Flash Player Ver. 11,4,402,278 and this updater only updates Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

If you used the one for Mac, I am not familiar with how it works as I have windows on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get any of the options you are mentioning — and yes, I used the one for Windows.

When I ran it, it only opened a command window, and none of the options were relevant.

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HughLaFollette,

When you downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, did it have a folder named "win"?
If so in the "win" folder there should be three files:
"A
dobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool"
"Read
MeFirst"
"versioninfo"

What happens when you double click the "AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool" file?

Also you might want to edit your post and remove you email addresses if you don't like spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens a command window with a series of options; none of the options are relevant — unless I wanted to delete everything from Adobe — which I may end up doing, but I was just trying to get rid of AAM — which looks to me to be just a (bad) marketing device.

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. LaFollette:

I do not know about the version you downloaded but in my version the

following are the steps involved:

1. run an unzip program

2. the pertinent extracted files are:

a. AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool.exe

b. ReadMeFirst.pdf

c. versioninfo.xml

These will be located in a folder entitled win

3. run AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool

4. a command window opens with the following options:

a. choose your language (either English (e) or Japanese) (j)

5. after you answer with your language, a EULA scrolls with the option

of answering either y (yes) or n (no)

6. answer y (yes)

7. The next screen has 8 options listed as follows:

1. All

2. Adobe Flash Player 10.2

3. Creative Cloud

4. CS3, CS4

5. CS5-CS5.5

6. CS5-CS5.5-CS6

7. CS6

8. Quit

8. It is the 3rd option you need. When you run #3, all your desires

will be met. AAM is gone!!!!!

Sincerely,

Charles E. Laughlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 

Why not just say “AAM” rather than creative cloud?

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hugh,

You and me both!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Charles E. Laughlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also fooled into believing that Adobe Application Manager was a necessary update for my creative suite. Even if AAM is necessary for core functionality (i.e., see smoke and mirrors description for AAM), I would be left with the following concerns:

1. Core functionality has nothing do to with Adobes decisions to install software on my personal computer that appears solely dedicated to pushing unsolicited trial software.
  2. Using the Adobe application update manager to install AAM/a mechanism to push trail software is deceitful.
  3. The description for AAM appears to be intentionally misleading.
  4. The interface is confusing; AAM lists installed software as not being installed, as well as software that is not part of my creative suite. Why would I possibly want to install a trail version alongside my equivalent licensed version?
  5. If Adobe wanted to push an update that truly provided core functionality, they would have done this as they have done in the past, and I would not have a confusing listing of trial software sitting of my desktop.

For lack of a better phrase, I feel like Adobe Spammed my computer with trialware in a manner that is markedly disingenuous. My take away lesson – Do not trust Adobe updater, do not trust Abode to conduct business in a forthright and principled manner, and of most importance, image/backup before running Adobe updater.

Venting aside, I inevitably gave up on trying to uninstall AAM and reverted back to a recent drive image.

Does anyone know of a way to keep AAM from popping up in the application update manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines