• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way Adobe isn't interested in "Linux = Less time down = Less IT workers = More money for the Company" because Adobe wants more IT workers who can use their products.

Actually you don't need more it-workers to support linux infrastructure than to support windows-infrastructure. It's scalable so you may even need less especially if you are using smth like RedHat with enterprise support. A few years ago you could say that you need to train workers to use linux and don't have to train them to use windows, but now modern linux is more like windows than windows 8 for example. So people who suppose this now never tried a modern linux anyway,

Answering your second question, companies who use linux instead of windows use opensource products if they can. But there is also a paid version of Lightworks - this tools was used in Hollywood for years, so it can be an alternative for Premiere/AfterEffects still it's different in details. There are some Corel products like Aftershot for Linux. Many professional (paid) tools for 3D, math & developing. And so on. Why do we still need an Adobe Products? First - there are professionals who already has an experience of using the Adobe products. You don't need to train them to use GIMP & Inkscape instead of PS and AI and Lightworks instead of AP and AE. Second - advanced features of Adobe products which are unique for them. Third - the adobe standarts compatibility. Even if one day Lightworks will be able to do everything better and faster than AP/AE, you may still need to load a premiere project provided by your Editor and open it with full compatibility. The same for InDesign or anything else.

Summarizing your answers I have come to a conclusion that you know not that much about modern desktop Linux. The problem here that you don't want to learn about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Mate Desktop under Ubuntu and I find it both aesthetically more pleasing and more functional than either MacOS or Windows.  Anybody who doesn't think Linux has a good desktop is thinking about a Linux that existed 15 years ago.  I loaded it on a Mac Pro after getting frustrated with MacOS's inability to cut-n-paste between X and non-X applications and the lack of software for MacOS.  It is much faster than MacOS was, more stable, and easier to get WIndows apps to run under via wine than MacOS was.  It can read disks from just about any OS that ever existed.  If I want a dock like on MacOS, one exists.  I prefer the pull downs of Mate however.  I can access my computer remotely from anywhere with full graphics and sound thanks to X2Go, windows and Mac have no usable equivalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

I'm a senior software engineer at a company. Adobe CC being unavailable in a Linux box is the single most poignant reason why we aren't running our creatives in a Linux environment.

The idea that Linux is for academics and hobbyists is wrong. It's performance would be amazing if the tools were available on it. Furthermore businesses like low cost equipment and Microsoft licensing issues in an office setting are nightmarish.

We have everything else figured out with our machines except for good replacements for Photoshop and After Effects.

I think that Adobe could do good to add people TO it's market, instead of see people fade from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to share your feelings that a Linux version of CC would be a good thing. Encourage others to subscribe to CC and next time you are at a trade show where Adobe is represented - march right up and tell them that you'd rather have CC support on Linux. It works even better if you could say something like "we'd deploy x more subscriptions of CC if we could do it on Linux".

If enough people do that, Adobe might decide to borrow a little money so they could get the Linux port up and running ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

firstly, to Jordan Michael, id like to suggest you take a look at pixeluvo as an alternative to photoshop since it's almost identical in how I use it and blender as an alternative to after effects depending on how you use it and what you do with it. There's also the suite from the foundry with software like nuke which are great for visual effects. The problem is the time it takes to learn and integrate into existing workflows.

filmograhie, we know the Adobe community wants it but where have Adobe themselves shown any interest in porting to linux? Years ago they said it was on the table and as far as I'm aware (though Im hoping they'll change their minds), they are yet to make any step towards progressing with it.  to me at least, it seems more like they will only make a Linux cc when their entire user base leaves Windows and Mac and says they'll unsubscribe if adobe doesn't produce a port which unlikely because of how many currently use the cc software in their work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scuttlebutt in San Francisco has it that every time the Adobe programmers begin to work on a Linux port Apple releases a lot of changes that pull them off target. Is this a plot by Apple to derail the Adobe efforts? Possibly - The Adobe/Apple relationship over the past 25 years has not always been a happy one :-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌What has Apple done that would mean adobe are pulled from Linux development? I know they came up with metal which i believe Adobe are working with the newest version of OS X but lit make little difference to Adobe as Chad and opencl worked fine so Adobe must didnt need to do anything there. There's the iPad pro but again nothing needed to be done that should have taken all the devs away from a Linux port. with the iPad pro, all that was needed at first was the existing apps that could later be expanded should the demand be there. I know they have a love/hate/need relationship between Adobe and apple but whether apple would hold Adobe back on this I don't know, though it would make sense as there is no other logical reason for not having adobe cc on Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding from the rumor mill is that Apple has made a lot of really serious changes in the latest releases of OS-X that are not obvious to the end user. This might have been done to improve security - BSD doesn't have near the active base of security conscious programmers that Linux has, nor does BSD have a guru like Linus Thorvald who can simultaneously oversee the efforts of a large diverse group of coders and shape a vision for the future. On the other hand, BSD is a more mature OS (see Explaining BSD and Kernel Architecture Overview

Hopefully the work that the Adobe programmers are doing now will transfer quickly and easily to a Linux port...

See this link on Ars Technica for more on the new OS X 10.11:  OS X 10.11 El Capitan: The Ars Technica Review | Ars Technica

Of particular interest regarding the amount of work the Adobe programmers face: "OS X is obviously still important to Apple's strategy—the one where the company wants to trap you so thoroughly in its ecosystem that you can never leave—but it doesn't get to lead the charge anymore."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T‌he points ofnotw from that article are simply the system integrity protection which restricts where even root can save and modify files, meaning that maybe Adobe has to modify some of the files it needs are saved (not that big of a job) and more importantly metal. the interesting part about metal is that it's apples replacement for opengl and opencl which (if I'm not mistaken) is based on a similar concept to AMD Matle and the new Vulkan API. after a little research, my previous statement about adobe being able to ignore metal for now if they really wanted a Linux port might not hold as well as I thought. Adobe use cuda OpenGL and opencl to accelerate thier software but current macs aren't able to use cuda because it's exclusive to nvidia GPUs but Apple aren't updating the versions of OpenGL in Mac so metal is currently the only way forward with that. Perhaps vulkan could be used instead which will help a Linux port since its cross platform but it's yet to be released and performance shown and I'm not sure how advantageous it would be for after effects and premiere pro work. my advice for Adobe is to avoid using anything platform exclusive where possible, such as metal, and move to cross platform things like Vulkan in the future, though of course that's after seeing it performance and capabilities and doing testing so I don't expect that to be announced any time soon (I know that cuda, OpenGL and OpenCL are cross platform already but theres potentially some other dependencies that aren't and metal is very much Apple only). The only reason for someone to develop with metal (or dx12 which is the same thing from microsofts side) is endorsement from its creator at events like WWDC which Adobe doesn't need or lack of options. This seems to be what Apple are aiming for, as you say "trap you so thoroughly", but not only in what the users use but also what developers prioritise, which then supports the theory of Apple changing things in OSX to pull Adobe from a Linux port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a member of the scientific community, I need to point out that a GREAT PORTION of academics use adobe software on a daily basis. Unfortunately, you are correct in that the majority of academics use a Linux distribution for day to day computing and as such must transfer to a MW based machine just to use your products.

Personally, I would rather suffer through using less intuitive solutions that support a company who do not support their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will pay the double or triple for a license for Ubuntu. For a professional is impossible work on Windows and Mac os is too controlled by Apple and by it's expensive products ... There is no freedom!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I will pay the double or triple for a license for Ubuntu."

Careful, don't give the store away; some at Adobe or others may interpret this and say, "Well, if you're willing to pay that much on an ongoing basis, then you could afford to buy a Mac."  But yes, I would definitely pay the same subscription rate for a Linux version.  Now, some have given the argument that, well, they're a major corporation, they're not going to take the risk with such low market share of Linux (which I argue is difficult to impossible to truly measure, as it's a free download and can be freely physically distributed, etc.).  Well, look at all the multimillion dollar waste Hollywood does every year putting out crap movies that flop (Steve Jobs, anyone?).  Staying on that example, Steve Jobs' production budget was about $30 million.  Could anyone here estimate what the cost of porting all - or at least the most key - creative software titles to Linux would be?  Would it approach $30 million?  I'm not a software developer, but I imagine it would be a lot less than $30 million.  They would almost CERTAINLY get more subscribers, and especially there would be Windows subscribers who would switch, including myself.

And just like Hollywood flops, even if a movie flops here in the U.S., the studios often recoup most or all of their money overseas.  The same strategy can be applied for Adobe.  Overseas, what is the growing platform of choice because of its low-to-no cost?  Linux (mostly Ubuntu and its derivatives, due to their simplicity).  At any rate, what operating systems have the most market share among the mainstream consumer world doesn't really matter for Adobe creative products; theirs is a niche market anyway, comprised of professional content creators.  Among that fairly elite group, what are the operating systems of choice?  Mostly Mac right now, fewer for Windows, but Linux is definitely used at the high end for 3D animation and render farming.  Those content creators who use Linux would really like to streamline their workflow and use Linux for every aspect of the workflow, including the front end design and production.  It just makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk  wrote

Phopojijo wrote:

They're not asking for "no-cost Creative Cloud on Linux". They (and I) want to pay the same subscription rates as everyone else, just use it on a free (as in both beer and, the progressively more important, speech) operating system.

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I logged in just to comment on this. The irony of this comment now in retrospect. The biggest contributor to open source and Linux these days? Microsoft. Windows now has a built in subsystem layer for Linux that's nearly 100% there except for some kernel stuff and gui applications.

Nix machines are the number one most popular OS for developers. And designers are becoming more and more like devs. I'm a designer, but I spend most of my time in code now.

Adobe is the only thing left I need to switch to Windows.

Adobe. DO IT. Stop futzing around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just be thankful Adobe does make a version that runs on Unix. If you want to avoid Windows why not use that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not make a version that runs on Unix, unless you're talking about the Mac version - but that's a little beside the point isn't it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you can't install it on regular off-the-shelf PC hardware, and therefore can't upgrade it when you want/need to.  And the latest nail in the coffin is the T2 chip, which Apple claims is for security but they've also confirmed that your OS and software won't run without it.  That combined with the fact that Apple is moving away from Intel CPU's and it's bye bye Hackintosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean of course "to switch FROM Windows", correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add us to the list of members wanting to switch to Ubuntu OS but Adobe CC will make us keep windows.

Web developers would love to have Adobe tools run native in Linux as it is great for coding and site testing.

Even Dell now sells computers pre loaded with the Ubuntu OS and it is only getting bigger as more and more people get exposed to Linux through the Android OS.

If Adobe products can run on a Mac based system running tweaked Linux, then I don't see how much more of an issue it would be to get it to run on Ubuntu.

Please Adobe, help give your user base more options in their OS 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. The staff didn't reply since over a year. It seems like they don't care about the Linux users because they will use Adobe on a VM or secondary computer with windows anyway.

I am looking for Adobe alternatives because of the Creative Cloud and I would like to change to Ubuntu after I read these posts I have got another argument why I should change away from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like they don't care about the Linux users

Yes, thats becoming extreamely clear, which is why we left as well. There is good and bad news. There are a lot of linux programs which are comparable to the CC stuff. Honestly, Id still rather CC for linux in a heart beat, for two reasons, but not enough to go back to windows. First, while you can google 'linux alternative to XYZ' and get good and easy results, its one program here, one program there. There isnt really another unified (ish) suite to make it nice and easy. Second,  Im used to Adobe, and I (for the most part) really like Adobe.

I think youll find the linux alternatives way better than you might think. In many cases, once you get used to the differences (typically UI, not conceptual), most of the alternatives are as good as CC, some I would argue better. (and free). The designers I work with picked it up pretty quick, and after a fast weekend study were back up to speed on the new systems. I will say, however, that should Adobe take their head out of the sand we would still switch back. The cost of CC is not signifigant to a company, and I think it would remove the "you use what? i dont know that program" from hiring. (that said, GIMP, the PS alternative, is fairly well known).

Everyone has their own priorities, for us consistency in OS and cost reduction due to a more stable platform outweighed the comfort of Adobe, but IMO the one thing thats very clear is that there are legeons of people and companies who either want to switch to linux but dont because of Adobe, or who HAVE switched to linux, but would love to be able to still use CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember using Adobe Photoshop 1.3 on SGI graphic workstations and Ultra Sun Stations back in the early 90s. I highly support Adobe CC to become non-platform specific. Definitely think of including your application suite to google drive. I think you will get not only additional market share; but you will also show many other advanced main-stream applications that cloud computing is here to stay. Being able to have a very very simple PC with high end graphics and using the cloud for primary computing and storage is here to stay. It has gone full cycle. From cloud to local and back to cloud. The cloud is the answer. Google knows it, apple knows it, MS knows it, and Adobe knows it. Let's not go half way and let's get to where the platform / device / OS that you are using doesn't limit your choices but rather bolsters them. I love your products and always have sine I started using computers. I will always use your products always but I would love if your products allowed more access to more users. Also, this new world should have more of the companies (namely Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, and others) work in tandum rather in conflict. Service the clients and get into the niche where you excel without the corperate politcs.

Cheers,
Tamer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you're talking about making a dumb-box version of CS I would be sceptical. Your either talking about running CS on adobe servers and basically screencasting which would have poor latency and require a constant and very consistent connection. Deal killers IMO. Even google is formatting their drive programs to function offline on chromebooks, so all they are really talking about is making everything browser based. But there's really no reason to do this for CS, though, as you are perfectly capable of runnin non-browser based software on chromebooks, and chromebooks are a chrome OS on top of......ubuntu! So, to all the naysayers our there, Not only has Ubuntu adoption more than doubled in the last few years, the TOP laptop seller on Amazon runs UBUNTU not win/mac. So, Adobe, its about time to actually do this. BTW, if you get in the chromebook / Ubuntu market you have the laptops with many times higher resolution than the win/mac croud, and if you dont think thats going to attract designers than you dont know your market. Also, consider that any touch screen laptop with a digitizer is going to allow stylus use right on the screen without some $3k wacom beast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for the apps to work on multiple platforms. Yes, I agree that having a completely dumb client and the processing occuring remotely will cause some issues. However, with the increasing availability of bandwidth; something in the middle would be workable for sure. Anyway, I agree wiith most of what you state and would really love if Adobe went after this demographic. My main machine that I use for developing is only running windblows because of the CC application platform. I would love to migrate that machine to Linux soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a new thread titled "Porting Adobe Products to Linux, will it happen now that CC is a service and not a product?" This was my initial post:

I know the linux community has been fighting for years to get Adobe to port their products, and it was understandable they never did based on their yearly product cycle, how much work it would take/cost and the amount of end-users who would pay for it.  But since Adobe has now switched to a subscription based model, I don't see these same factors as holding them back from finally porting their products.

Being a front-end developer/designer, I find myself always wearing two sets of "toolbelts". I'd prefer a Linux OS for my local dev environment; but GIMP and Inkscape just don't match up to their Adobe counterparts. I've officially switched to a custom distro forked from Ubuntu called elementaryOS(
http://elementaryos.org). It has the same attention to detail as Ubuntu in design, just more flexible and customizable. I imagine many Mac/Windows users in my same line of work would do the same if they could use their Adobe products.

After two weeks of trial and errors from a Windows virtual machine running on my pc(VMWare Unity Mode, RDP, Wine), I've decided to just have an additional "workspace" and keep windows on it fullscreen. It's the best I could come up with, but native integration would ideal.

--

Going a little off topic, I could ultimately see Adobe porting their apps to web apps before porting to linux. Is there any speculation or talk that this might happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not see web based Abobe Applications working. Esp with Photoshop, Premier Pro, and other intensive applications. I am currently working on a PS file that is 500mb. I am not going to wait for a file to be uploaded and downloaded across the web. I have enought trouble working across a LAN. Plus there is the added Bandwidth need and a security issue. I work with trade sensitive information that I do not want on an Adobe server.

Not to get all tinfoil hat like but all the recent NSA spying on use Citizens should make anyone question cloud based storage and applications. Right now the CC is not really cloud based. It is local software that requires a remote check-in to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines