• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Student Discount Issue?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was extremely interested in purchasing Creative Cloud witht he Student Discount for 19.99 per month for 1 year (Promotion), which I am in College.  I called and asked a few question to get more in depth into the conversation.

1)  What happens after that first year of 19.99?  Answer:  It goes up to 29.99 per month; although, that price could change (UP or DOWN)

2)  What happens if I graduate College after I already subscribed to the 19.99 and I want to renew my Creative Cloud Membership?  Answer:  Since you're no longer in school, you're price is subjected to the full price of 49.99. 

I was dissapointed in Adobe after I heard this and did not understand why as I was in College when I purchase Adobe Creative Cloud but now that I am out, I am no longer eligable for School Pricing?  If I bought CS6 Master Colection, I would be paying around 1,000 (one time payment).

I would be fine subscribing to Creative Cloud for 19.99 per month for 1 year and after that promotion, it will go to 29.99 per month; although, if I graduate, I no longer am eligable for the student discount, which it should continue since you started durring College unless you cancel! 

Adobe, who came up with the pricing 49.99 and why wont you allow people who subscribed durring college time that have graduated to continue to get student discount?  Unless you're an expert and it's a job, not many people can afford to pay the extreme price of 49.99 as we have school loans, books, etc. to pay back.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

I agree with you 99% as you're "TECHNICALY" not a student anymore.  I suppose my point is, why should we pay a membership fee when I can purchase the "Adobe Master Collection", which is a 1 time fee.  Granted, we wont get all the new updates and/or software but you wont be taken for all you're worth.

By paying 49.99, you'll reach your student discount price if bought "Adobe Master Collection" in less then two years.  Imagine 100 of thousand members paying this.  Adobe to me has transformed themse

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Student discounts, generally in most all cases are only while a person is enrolled in an educational program, upon leaving or graduating you are no long considered a student thus typically any discounts offered to students do not move forward.

I do sympathize with you however. Many students like yourself will partake in this "Adobe Creative Cloud Student Discount Offer" only to then realize once being fresh out of school and when the increase in subscription prices takes place that they can either subject themselves to these increases and any further increases in prices "deemed appropriate" by Adobe moving forward in the future or lose access to the software altogether. In the good old days of perpetual licenses, once acquired it was yours for life, unlike the Creative Cloud where now you pay for life. Fresh graduates will need to factor that in with any student loans, rent, car payments, etc., thus I feel bad for students, along with being subjected to no longer having a choice in general as to how they buy and own their software.

It's a sad time for both students and professionals concerning the decision for Creative Cloud only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 99% as you're "TECHNICALY" not a student anymore.  I suppose my point is, why should we pay a membership fee when I can purchase the "Adobe Master Collection", which is a 1 time fee.  Granted, we wont get all the new updates and/or software but you wont be taken for all you're worth.

By paying 49.99, you'll reach your student discount price if bought "Adobe Master Collection" in less then two years.  Imagine 100 of thousand members paying this.  Adobe to me has transformed themselves into a tirant (such as Apple)...  Apple to me has amazing line of products but they expect it's worth 1,500 more then other computers out there. 

People like me (non professional) and just want to learn how to use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. to create a website is content with buying the "Master Collection"; although, the Creative Cloud would be fantastic if it was still priced at 29.99 after the first year of 19.99 and still able to get school discount after you graduate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...why should we pay a membership fee when I can purchase the "Adobe Master Collection", which is a 1 time fee.  Granted, we wont get all the new updates and/or software but you wont be taken for all you're worth.

Bingo. You are absolutely correct. It is a sad new direction Adobe is heading in.

You will also not be able to open up your created files anymore in the future once you stop paying, because your programs won't run anymore. You will be locked in for life. It all sounds too insane to be true doesn't it?

With the Creative Cloud you will essentially be leasing Adobe software forever and ever. Once you stop paying you leave with nothing. This is of course great for Adobe. Bad for the customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?  That's something I did not realize?  Are the files not saved to your computer?  That is BOGUS!!!  I will be more then happy to pay 19.99 for the first year and 29.99 for the future but I can't afford 49.99 ...  I think Adobe shoud continue advancing the Master Collection with all the new updates and features and allow people who don't want to be locked into a contract for generation's to come.  As you most likely notice, you have to purchase a year subscripton.

Adobe seems to make excellent software but it has to be within reason on pricing.  Who runs Adobe?  Is it India or USA? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud Catch??? wrote:

Really?  That's something I did not realize?  Are the files not saved to your computer?  That is BOGUS!!!  I

No no. That is not what I meant. They ARE saved to your computer. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I mean you will not be able to run the Adobe programs once you stop paying, since they will not be activated for you anymore. And that means you won't be able to open the files you have created during your Creative Cloud period. You will still have all the files you have created on your computer. But how useful is that without the software to open them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I am new to (learning) dreamweaver and website design in general ...  I am currently looking for help and assistance.

Please correct me if I am mistaken but eventhough you create the files in (let say) dreamweaver, their still a .html or .css or .php.  Can you load them up to antother program that's built for website, such as coffee or even use NOTEPAD ++? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML/CSS/PHP files on their own created in Dreamweaver will open just fine in coffee or Notepad++. It's just a bunch of text. But Dreamweaver might save some special 'Dreamweaver project files' that links them all together. I'm not a Dreamweaver person so I don't know how Dreamweaver saves projects.

Maybe someone else who has Dreamweaver knowledge can chime in and explain that for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought ...  I tried creating a contact form; although, my styles didn't link up to my contact.html

One of these days, I will figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose my point is, why should we pay a membership fee when I can purchase the "Adobe Master Collection", which is a 1 time fee.  Granted, we wont get all the new updates and/or software but you wont be taken for all you're worth.

Yes, that is the new "choice" Adobe has offered it's loyal customers. You can perpetually pay for the Creative Cloud subscription forever or you can buy a perpetual license to CS6 which is now essentially abandon-ware software. Sad either way currently, there is no "real" choice, its Adobe's way or the highway. They tell us what we need, not listen to what we want (A decades old dilemma in some regards, software bugs, missing features, etc).

I am new to (learning) dreamweaver and website design in general ...  I am currently looking for help and assistance.

If your just learning web design, focus your efforts on learning to hand code with out using a GUI like dreamweaver (for HTML/CSS, etc..), code in a text editor of your choice, if you get to that point then you "actually know" what your doing and are not relying on a WYSIWYG approach. You can always learn a GUI but focus on learning to code. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should also be noted that MANY numerous educational institutions DO NOT AGREE with Adobe's inept decision towards consumers concerning the Cloud only approach. Rightly so.http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/05/22/adobe-pricing-plan-raises-concerns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines