• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make updater recognize existing apps?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an update problem with the latest Bridge CC update and a chap from Adobe, using remote access, got my stuff updated.  Now, however, my CC updater (and the update facility in PS) only seem to recognize the new Bridge CC in the preferences.  My versions of Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS6 are no longer listed for update checking.

How does one reinstate these apps to be recognized for updating?

thank you

grampus45

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grampus45 which preference exactly are you referring too?  Have you tried checking for updates from within the Creative Cloud application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, when I go into PS/CC and look at the updates and click on preferences, the only app it indicates for checking updates is my new copy of Bridge CC.  Photoshop CC, Photoshop CS6, and Bridge CS6 are no longer indicated.

When I go into Creative Cloud, it shows all these applications as "up to date."  But it did that for Bridge CC even when it wasn't up to date.  The Adobe chap had to uninstall the old copy of Bridge CC and reinstall the update manually.  Now that copy of Brige CC is the only application that seems to show up in the PS update collection.

I am concerned that, when new updates occur, I will not be notified and will have no way to update them.

grampus45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Grampus.  Which operating system are you using?   While waiting for your response can you please also try signing out of the Creative Cloud application and then signing back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Jeff.  I'm using MacOSX 10.8.4.

Yes, I have already logged in and out.  Indeed, the Adobe chap did that via remote as well.  It has no effect.

Bascially I'm trying to find out how to resync the Adobe Applications Manager (Adobe CC) with my exising installed apps.  The Adobe chap tashed a bunch of files, and it appears that the one that told the Manager and CC about what was on my system was removed.  Now it only recognizes the one app (Bridge CC) that has been installed since.

It seems to me, however, that there ought to be a simple way for the Adobe Creative Cloud to sync to determine what is on the computer and to reinstate their relevant update status.

thanks,

grampus45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grampus45 please complete the following steps:

1. Quit the Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Delete the OPM.db file located in /Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE.
  3. Reopen the Adobe Creative Cloud application
  4. Sign back in

Competing these steps should cause the Adobe Application Manager to index the list of installed applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Jeff; I did that -- and it doesn't appear to have helped. Everything appears to be the same as it was.  Specifically:

Adobe Creative Cloud still shows Photoshop CC, Bridge CC, Extension Manager CC, and Photoshop CS6 as "Up to Date."  But, as I said earlier, that's what it showed when in fact there was a Bridge CC update to be had -- and Creative Cloud didn't seem to be recognizing it.

And, when I go into Photoshop CC and look at Updates, the Preferences for "Only show updates for the following products" continues to show only Bridge CC and none of the other applications.

Is it necessary to uninstall and reinstall all the other applications in order that their presence will be made known?  I hope not.

Also Jeff, could you tell me how one can check on the latest version numbers for these Adobe products.  They don't seem to be listed on the Adobe site.  If, as appears likely, I am not going to be notified by Adobe Creative Cloud about new updates, I will need to know when new updates in fact are available so that I can update things manually.

thanks,

grampus45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grampus45 if the steps above have not resolved your difficulties then I would recommend removing and reinstalling the software to restore the ability to check for updates.  You may also want to use the CS Cleaner Tool as well to help ensure that you have success with the installation process.  You can find details on the use of the CS Cleaner Tool at CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use the cleaner tool, will it also remove all my preferneces, profiles, settings, plug-ins etc.? 

Also, you haven't answered my question as to how to determine the latest versions available for the various software products.  If I could determine that an update was avalible by those means, then I could do thing piece-wise rather than wholesale.

How does one determine the latest versions of these apps that are available?

By the way, I hope you realize that it is rediculous that one should have to delete and reinstall the applications in order for the updater to know what to do.  There ought to be a way either to "force" an uprade or to let the update resync with the applications on the computer.

Can you make a request that such a feature be added?

thanks,

grampus45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First your preferences and any installed third-party plug-ins will not be affected.  This also includes any custom color profiles which you have created.

For your next question there is not a method, short of installing on another computer, for you to determine the current version of the Creative Cloud software.  The majority, if not all, of the Creative Cloud updates are only available through the updater.

Finally if you would like to work directly with our support team to investigate additional possible solutions you are certainly welcome too.  For the best assistance, I recommend our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.  Our chat representatives can provide a personalized experience to resolve the issue you have described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff for your help.  I'm traveling at the moment, but I'll see what I can do when I get home.

In the meantime, it seems to me that it should be possible to give the Adobe Creative Cloud updater the facility to determine what Adobe products are installed on the computer and include them in the update list  (either automatically or through some sort of snyc button) -- something considerably less Draconian than clearing and reinstalling all the apps.

Could you please enter a request that such a facility be added to Adobe Creative Cloud in a future release?

thanks again,

grampus45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Grampus I would have to say that the behavior you are experiencing is very unique.  We can certainly investigate such possibilities if there are a large number of Users experiencing this difficulty.

Please feel free to update this discussion with your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines