• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign automatically downloads in Japanese (I'm in Japan), how do I download and install English version?

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Japan, native English user, require InDesign, but it automatically downloads in Japanese. This is unnacceptable. How do I work around this? Also, first off, I am using the free trial. If I have to redownload or do other workarounds to get the English version, is my "first" free trial nullified? I don't have time to see this through to the probably result of being screwed.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

You might have to uninstall the currently installed (Japanese) localisation first, then install the English version, as otherwise you'd end up with two language versions of InDesign on your system.

Here's how you uninstall and install the correct language version.

A. Uninstall Japanese Localisation first

1. In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, locate (under Apps) InDesign CC (2015),
  2. When you move your cursor over InDesign a gear icon appears to the left of the open button.
  3. Click it then choose Uninstall... follow the prompts to uninstall...

B. Install English Version

1. Before you do ANY installing you must set the language version to install.
  2. In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, locate the gear icon in the top-right.
  3. Click it and choose Preferences.
  4. Click Creative Cloud (next to General).
  5. Click Apps, then under App Language heading select the correct English version to install. Choose English (International), if you want your preferences to default to metric (mms)  and UK English dictionary, choose English (North American), if you want your preferences to default to imperial measurements (picas) and USA English dictionary.

cc-language-pref.png
  6. Click the arrow left of Preferences to return to the 'home' screen, then click Apps, and select InDesign to Install, and follow the prompts.
  7. You should have an English localisation of InDesign installed at the end of this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to do anything. I downloaded it like that, and I still received a Japanese version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. that's strange... as I'm assuming you're working on an English Operating System?

Can you try running the CC Cleaner tool and installing again?

Here's a link with more information https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

After running the cleaner,  make sure that:

1. You first download and install the CC Desktop application (see Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe CC trial)
  2. Then set the App Language (as per previous instructions).
  3. Then install your Application.

Am hoping that will work.

Let us know how you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall the Japanese version first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Cari,

No, this is a Japanese OS. I work and live in Japan, and in most cases it's beneficial for me to be on a Japanese OS. It's not easy to buy an English computer here. However, when using software, it really helps to have software menus in English, which is why I am very frustrated that I am not easily presented with that choice, no matter my geographical location or the language of my OS. This is why I avoid Adobe software at all costs. It's simply not worth the trouble, and I don't understand why I can't simply be presented with a link to download my preferred language version.

I am currently working with the Japanese-language version of InDesign. It works, but even to do simple things, I have to research the menus in English online, and then find them in the InDesign menu system, in Japanese. I have high-level Japanese skill, but a lot of the words and phrasings in software menus are new to me, especially for software I'm not familiar with.

All of this would be a non-issue if things weren't so "automatic". I won't be bothering with re-installing, etc., etc., I really don't have the time or energy to bother with fixing a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I ever feel the need to, I will refer to your instructions.

But I really thank you for your kind reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  It would have been nice to get to the bottom of it.

Just out of interest:

What language is the Creative Cloud Desktop application that you installed?

Is that also localised Japanese, or did you manage to install the English version for that?  I'm wondering if the source of the issue might start there if it is. 

You mention you are running a trial. Once you upgrade to a full membership it would be good to investigate this issue further, I'd still recommend uninstalling using CC Cleaner tool at that stage and giving it a second try indeed, ensuring the English version of CC Desktop app is installed first of all. If the issue reoccurs at that stage, post here again, but add as much details as you can:

• Operating System, version of operating system, localisation information etc.
  • Screenshots of settings etc.

Cari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Cari.

I was automatically installed with the Japanese Creative Cloud Desktop, but I entered the settings of that and chose all English options. It never gave them to me.

I changed the "software language" to English in the app, and I changed my member/account settings to be all in English, and it still downloaded the program in Japanese. It was at that time that I decided I have no time for this. My project is under time constraints.

If I can't be guaranteed an English version, I won't be upgrading. I will be finishing my project within the trial time.

If I do embark on trying to figure out this situation, for a product that shouldn't present these problems to begin with, I will be sure to post screenshots, OS info, version, etc.

Thank you again for all your time and great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jasonr40048785 is your computer managed in any way?  Also which operating system are you using that has the language set to Japanese?

The steps provided by Cari Jansen should have allowed you to adjust the installation language for the Adobe Creative applications.  The only other limitation could be if you had a Japanese only membership to the Creative Cloud.  What type of Creative Cloud membership do you have?  Is it available through an organization or are you an individual member?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff.

No, my computer is not managed. It is a Japanese domestic-market, Japanese-language Windows 8.1 machine.

As for Creative Cloud, I am an individual member, and I signed up in English on an English page. When the app downloaded, it was in Japanese, and as mentioned, no matter how much I changed the settings for English, I still ended up with a Japanese version. I cancelled the download and adjusted settings many times, but in the end, it was like fighting with quicksand, so I was forced to either give up or endure further rage and headaches.

Thank you again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Japan, and I never had any problems downloading either English versions (for English Windows) or Japanese versions (for Japanese Windows).

What exactly did you download, and what is the downloaded installer name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you pwillener.

Have you ever tried an English version on a Japanese Windows? That is my problem. I would imagine if it was English program to English OS and Japanese program to Japanese OS, as you mention, it would no doubt be a perfect install.

This is what I was made to download: CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe

Japanese OS Windows 8.1

I require the English-language version of ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit that

1. I have never installed any Creative Cloud apps (only Creative Suite CS6)
  2. I have never tried to install English version programs on Japanese Windows

The CS6 installers were different for English and Japanese, so it may have worked to install the English version on Japanese Windows.

It seems that the CC installer now only comes in one version, and it may use the Windows version to install it with one or the other UI.

One possibility: if you set the locale to US-English, maybe it will install the English UI?  However, I do not know Windows 8.x, so I don't know how to change the locale.  I will do some additional research and get back to you.

P.S. I have always ordered all my computers directly from Dell, and they are very helpful providing English Windows versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Japan and could install English version with the way of Cari Jansen's, but I don't recommend it.

Japanese version InDesign has all functions of English version plus many unique functions for Japanese language.

So you should try changing UI language to English. It's very easy.

http://www.lynda.com/articles/ui-language-in-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this.

Actually, I believe I tried this when I had this same problem about a year (seems like I forgot how troublesome this is; looks like I swore off Adobe products at that time, but I am forced to use them again).

At that time, I renamed the folders and tried this hack, but it took a lot of time, and it didn't work. I might try again, but I am now focused on the project at hand, using the Japanese version, because I am under time constraints.

Why we have to "hack" our program, which many people such as me would have spent money on (luckily I haven't wasted the money), is beyond me. I thought Adobe would be smarter. After a year since I had the same problem and thus swearing off the product, they still haven't considered fixing this?

I thank everyone for their time. For future replies, unless someone from Adobe chimes in with an English-version download link, I might not be following this thread any longer. I am not very interested in "hacking" or using extensive workarounds on a product that should provide me with what I need from the start, if I have to pay for it.

But Subi Omu, I appreciate your help.

Thank you again everyone for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. this hack means CC products have built-in UI with some languages, but we have only an unofficial way to control them. Adobe should fix the problem.

Ganbatte!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines