Exit

Problems with permissions all 2019 CC Desktop Apps PC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Win 10 (1809) 500GB SSD 16GB i7 3.2 Ghz Administrator

I've just done a fresh install of Win 10 (1809) then installed all 2019 CC apps. No issues with the install, but using any of the apps causes all sorts of permission issues (listed below). I've tried the suggested fixes scattered around various forums and nothing works. Surely when Adobe installs and creates folders the correct permissions are set. I've had the same problems with CC2019, not CC2018 or earlier, since release and before the fresh install of Win 10.

Does anyone have a solution, Adobe? Please remember that I pay for this software, so I expect it to work!

Below is a list of issues for each app.

Acrobat DC

Started and immediately closed. Started again and now seems to work.

Photoshop

Dialogue box "Could not complete your request because the file is locked, you do not have necessary permissions, or another program is using the file. Use 'Properties' command in Windows Explorer to unlock the file." Click Ok and it hangs on "Measuring Memory"

Illustrator

Dialogue box "To work correctly, Adobe Illustrator requires the Preferences folder permission to be 'Read-Write'. The current permission setting is incorrectly set to 'Read-only'. Click More Info for instructions on correcting the Preferences folder permissions setting." Followed the instructions, posted in Adobe Forums but the folder resets itself to Read-only.

XD CC

Seems to work except when zoomed in there's no scroll bars horizontal or vertical and no hand tool.

Lightroom CC & Lightroom Classic

Dialogue box "Lightroom cannot start because it cannot create files in the temporary file location "C:\Users\[my username]\AppData\Local\Temp\". Lightroom needs to be able create temporary files in order to operate correctly."

Premiere Rus CC

Hangs on splash screen

Premiere Pro CC

Hangs on splash screen

After Effects CC

Dialogue box "After Effects can't continue: Error while accessing the preferences files inside "C:\Users\[my username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\16.0", please verify the file permissions and try again."

Bridge CC

Dialogue box "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied."

InDesign CC

Dialogue box "Access is denied." x2 Then "Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you lack sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InDesign."

Dimension CC

Doesn't start

Dreamweaver CC

Starts, but slow and always on the "Introducing the all-new Dreamweaver" " Have you used Dreamweaver CC previously?" So although it works, it's obviously not saving a configuration file, recent files.

Animate CC

Dialogue box "Some of the native document types cannot be loaded because the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate CC 2019\Common\Configuration\Document Types directory is modified. Reinstall Animate CC to restore the document types."

Character Animator

Dialogue box "Can't write to font cache directory."

Audition CC

Dialogue box "Audition cannot access the preferences folder. Please make sure current user has the read/write permission to the preferences folder."

Media Encoder CC

Hangs on splash screen

InCopy CC

Dialogue box "Access is denied." x2 Then "Unable to launch Adobe InCopy as you lack sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InCopy."

Prelude CC

Hangs on splash screen

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Thanks kglad,

Did the google thing and came up with the following and yes it works. You'll need to go to C:\Program Files\Adobe and go through each folder and find the .exe file for each program.

To disable the UAC for the one particular application, you may try the steps below:

First mark the respective application to always run in elevated mode.

1. Right-click on the application that is not likely to have been assigned an administrative token.

2. Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click a problematic program>click 'run as administrator'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

I should have listed this as one of the solutions that i've tried and yes it does work, but it's a workaround, not a fix. Forgetting to do that is a pain because your then waiting for the program to crash, then into task manager to End Task.

The apps should work like any other app a single left-click.

I only have one account on my PC and it's an administrator account!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google your os and how to set programs to bypass uac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kglad,

Did the google thing and came up with the following and yes it works. You'll need to go to C:\Program Files\Adobe and go through each folder and find the .exe file for each program.

To disable the UAC for the one particular application, you may try the steps below:

First mark the respective application to always run in elevated mode.

1. Right-click on the application that is not likely to have been assigned an administrative token.

2. Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.

3. Under Privilege Level, select “Run this program as an administrator”, and then click OK.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/uac-and-one-program-used-ve... 

Ok so a bit of work, still confused though as to why Adobe can't get this right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's an os setting, not an adobe setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what if the logged in user does not have an administrator account? I can not believe that this error happens on a prof. program that should be able to run on a corporate PC where ordinary users does not (and should not) have administative rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked a treat on my work machine. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magnificent!!! This worked (raising the Privilege Level by selecting “Run this program as an administrator”), and brought back functionality. Why this happens I know not, but following the entries in this community it has been extant for at least seven months. Shame on you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, any idea about how to do it on Macbook? I do see the same errors (especially on Media Encoder and AfterEffect) and I can't find any option to "run as admin". It must be something else.. Thanks in advance. Best, Noé

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines