Highlighted

Site Map/Diagram in Dreamweaver CS4?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an equivalent of the site diagram or navigation window in Dreamweaver?
I find having a map of the site and how the pages link very useful I looked in the CS4 help and all I could fine was a link to a knowledge base document talking about the Site Map category in the site definition dialogue. But apparently that was for Dreamweaver MX and doesnt appear to be in CS4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
This conversation has been locked.

Site Map/Diagram in Dreamweaver CS4?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an equivalent of the site diagram or navigation window in Dreamweaver?
I find having a map of the site and how the pages link very useful I looked in the CS4 help and all I could fine was a link to a knowledge base document talking about the Site Map category in the site definition dialogue. But apparently that was for Dreamweaver MX and doesnt appear to be in CS4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there an equivalent of the site diagram or navigation window in
> Dreamweaver?

No.

> But apparently that was for Dreamweaver MX and doesn't appear to be in
> CS4.

Yes - it was removed in CS4. It was basically not so useful, and had not
been changed since pre-DW4 days.

--
Murray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also looking for some way of seeing the relationship between pages. We have a lot of files in our site that are redundant and I want to see if there are any files linking into them. Is there any way of doing this without having to remove the files from the site and then doing a link check? This seems to be a step backwards. Even the old PageMill used to have this facility.

Michael

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a sitewide Find to search for the filenames?

--
Murray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go here for a Site Map Tool that is compatible with Search Engines also.

Web Assist
http://www.webassist.com/professional/products/productdetails.asp?PID=153

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a completely different thing. It produces an XML sitemap
specifically for upload to your remote site, to help with Google spidering.
DW has never had that capability. I believe the original poster (OP) was
asking about a visual SiteMap function within DW that was removed from the
product with CS3, as I recall. It would show a visual representation of the
hierarchy of files in your site which could be saved as JPG image.

--
Murray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Dreamweaver CS4 and was looking for this feature today.  I remember I could create a visual hierarchal relationship of my site pages (after 'setting' a home page) and after selecting the 'Expand to show local and remote sites' button.  I have an assignment in school to produce a visual site map but it's kind of hard if someone in their infinite wisdom thinks this feature is not useful.  I have also used it professionally at work in several cases.  So, Adobe, how come you removed this and why do you think it's not useful?  Now, I have to manually 'draw' one in Illustator or go find some other product on the web to automatically create one. Happy Happy Joy Joy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, I am missing something.  Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????  I find it difficult to believe that anyone in the world would say that link architecture is not an important feature.   Perhaps, the simply are not aware of the importance of link strategies. Perhaps, they haven't heard of Google.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4everprincess wrote:

Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????

Not that I'm aware of -- this functionality was removed from both Dreamweaver and GoLive. A bummer for those who did use it, but apparently there weren't enough who did. If you can create a lobby of those who are interested in having that facility back again:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Sorry, best I can suggest.

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johndonaldson wrote:

4everprincess wrote:

Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????

Not that I'm aware of -- this functionality was removed from both Dreamweaver and GoLive. A bummer for those who did use it, but apparently there weren't enough who did. If you can create a lobby of those who are interested in having that facility back again:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Sorry, best I can suggest.

John

The wishform doesnt work in firefox, and neither does this forum, if you try to reply to this forum it crashes firefox just thought I would let you guys know.

I had to compose this message in IE8, most webdevs use firefox and it may seem that you are not getting much interest in this feature but this may be due to people not being able to use the site.

I am not even sure if the wishform even works in IE8 I submitted the form but it timed out on me so I have no idea whether it is successful or not.

The sitemap diagram feature was very handy and this is message I tried to submit to the wishform

*******Enhancement / FMR*********
Brief title for your desired feature:

In macromedia dreamweaver 8 there was a feature that would generate visual sitemaps and save these as bitmaps.

This was a very handy tool for showing clients how websites were structured.

This feature was removed from Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4

How would you like the feature to work?

I would like to see this feature reinstated with one additional piece of functionality, being able to see the full html title of subpages of supbages.

It would also be nice if it could generate an xml sitemap as well as a visual one that was compatible with search engines.

Why is this feature important to you?

It allows me to show clients a visual representation of the websites architecture and the names of the pages within the structure of that architecture.

Visio, Dia and other diagramming tools do not create as clean a website diagram as what Dreamweaver 8 does.

Here is a link to a copy of a sitemap generated by dreamweaver 8 http://www.users.on.net/~nova/dreamweaver-sitemap.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks like my wishform did submit ok and I got a nice prompt response back from Heiko in Adobe Development.

Got some great news from Heiko, apparently the sitemap feature was never removed, it was just disabled, I have just re-enabled it and now the site diagaram tool has appeared and works like a charm.

Here are the instructions Heiko gave me via email for unhiding the sitemap tool in Dreamweaver CS4;

The Site Map feature has been removed in Dreamweaver CS4 by making it invisible.

You can let the Site Map reappear by tweaking preference settings of Dreamweaver CS4.

Mac:

1. Go to your user folder > Library > Preferences 2. Open “Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Prefs” in a Texteditor 3. Search for sitemap 4. Replace FALSE with TRUE 5. Save the file, restart DW

Windows:

1. Click on start

2. Select Run

3. Type regedit and click ok

-> the registry opens now

4. Select HKEY_CURRANT_USER > Software > Adobe > Dreamweaver CS4 > Feature Management 5. In the right part of the window double click on Site map 6. Set Site map to True

-> When you now start DW the site map is enabled again

Please note that the feature is no longer supported by Dreamweaver. So please use the functionality with caution and care.

We are working on alternatives for the Dreamweaver's Site Map feature for upcoming releases.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave30000 wrote:

The wishform doesnt work in firefox, and neither does this forum, if you try to reply to this forum it crashes firefox just thought I would let you guys know.

I had to compose this message in IE8, most webdevs use firefox and it may seem that you are not getting much interest in this feature but this may be due to people not being able to use the site.

1) You are talking to fellow users here so we can't do anything about Firefox.

2) Firefox is working fine for me and others on the Adobe forums.

Using: Firefox 3.5.2 with Firebug, Web Developer, NoScript (disabled on this site but still installed) and a few other extensions that might change how javascript is handled in a plain Firefox install. The few others that I know use Firefox here are using plain installations. I have heard from some webdevs that Firefox 3.5's handling of javascript is sometimes sluggish (I haven't noticed) but it is still processed. You should not have been prevented from using a submission form or this forum.

That is nifty news about disabled functions in DW. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I changed the code in the CS4 Prefs, now how do I view my site map? And can I generate a linked text site map from it to increase visibility on the Search Engines?

Also, I noticed after saving the prefs, quitting DW, and starting back up, the prefs default back to "FALSE".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! How do I see the Site Map now that I ran regedit? I bought Dreamweaver for the express purpose of taking over my very extensive dynamic website. The developers used GoLive and I saw how the Site Map could be used to trace the interconnections between the files. They left a lot of 'garbage' in there too. So, now I have Dreamweaver CS4 and I'm looking for the mapping feature.. It doesn't exist! I just can't believe it! So, I found this thread and followed the regedit instructions, but don't see 'Site Map' on the menus anywhere. The TRUE/FALSE key remained at TRUE after reboot. Now what? Anyone? If you're reading this Adobe--I'm not a happy camper! How could you possibly do this?

Btw, I have a lot of work to do right away and I NEED this feature. Do I throw Dreamweaver in the trash and get something that works?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info – the registry hack worked for me also. I still can not understand why they dropped this feature; if they are working on a replacement for CS5 why hide the feature in CS4. If there are potential problems with it they could still have put it as an option to enable in the preferences with a warning about any issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea how to do this on a Windows PC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm a MAC guy.

John Lambert

jonnydare28@comcast.net

Home Office: 954.530.7181

Cell: 954.336.9947

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nmhopkins1 wrote:

Any idea how to do this on a Windows PC?

Are you referring to the Mac and Windows instructions offered in post #11 or are you confused about something else in this thread?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave30000,

I folloewed your instructions for the MAC which were quite good by the way, and restarted DW.  But once back in DW I was unable to find the menu item to perform the Site Map/Diagram function.

Anyone that has sucsessfully performed changing the defaults and used the hidden Site Map feature please post a reply on where the Site Map feature can be found.

Thanks in advance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that Adobe might want to hide a feature that has problems and or is simply not ready for mass consumption.  Deadlines cause funny things at big companies.  CS4 like any software package had a last day for changes.  If a feature does not pass by this date, the manager in charge of that software has the option of including, excluding, or hiding the unfinished feature.

Does this sound reasonable?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the help system for Dreamweaver CS3.

http://tinyurl.com/kvyzts

It's available under the Site menu item and also in the Files panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These email links to forum messages don't open properly in VISTA. Crashes my

Internet Explorer. Need to open task manager to exit. Whole Adobe site does

the same. Been this way for a couple weeks.

DT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heh, Vista?

getta Mac

Anyways here's the long link

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/help.html?content=WS67B82596-C7F1-40be-A808-3A5CA5D9F871.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the broken link:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2267638#2267638

DT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for posting this .

It worked like a charm.

I have been looking for a replacement for this for months!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your welcome. I only wish Adobe would make an official fix or response.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The False to True thing in the Dreamweaver Preference File worked for me, only Heiko is not kidding about the note to use this feature with caution and care. There are a considerable amount of glithes in it. It doesn't even show a correct sitemap of my site. LOL! Thanks anyways It just keeps showing the same list of files over and over. It's like filing a mirror within a mirror.....There is definitly something missing here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I was banging my head on my desk when I tried to find this so I did a quick search for Site Map and then got to the Change FALSE to TRUE in the DW CS4 Prefs. THIS IS A VERY EASY STEP to get this to re-appear!

Thanks so much for posting. I also used this feature back with version 3 and 4.

For those who are weary, copy the preference file to your desktop before doing the edit to the file located in the users library. this way if DW doesn't open again or has issues with the change, you can replace the changed file in the users library with the original pref file that was installed with the app.

A MAJOR THANKS AGAIN!

Whoohoo - now back to link checking....

Matthew

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave for your input on this. Does DW CS5 have this feature now? Can't find it. If not, do I follow the same instructions? And what problems might result? I get nervous when I see "use functionality with caution and care." Thanks.

from Dave:

Here are the instructions Heiko gave me via email for unhiding the sitemap tool in Dreamweaver CS4;

The Site Map feature has been removed in Dreamweaver CS4 by making it invisible.

You can let the Site Map reappear by tweaking preference settings of Dreamweaver CS4.

Mac:

1. Go to your user folder > Library > Preferences 2. Open “Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Prefs” in a Texteditor 3. Search for sitemap 4. Replace FALSE with TRUE 5. Save the file, restart DW

Windows:

1. Click on start

2. Select Run

3. Type regedit and click ok

-> the registry opens now

4. Select HKEY_CURRANT_USER > Software > Adobe > Dreamweaver CS4 > Feature Management 5. In the right part of the window double click on Site map 6. Set Site map to True

-> When you now start DW the site map is enabled again

Please note that the feature is no longer supported by Dreamweaver. So please use the functionality with caution and care.

We are working on alternatives for the Dreamweaver's Site Map feature for upcoming releases.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks very much for this useful infoand it was great to be able to revive a good and useful feature  that I have been using with previous versions of DW.nasser

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more. This was a very useful feature, especially if when preparing a document for reviewers to understand the flow of the site. Now, I guess, the only option is to create a flow diagram in Visio or some other graphic tool. Poor decision on Adobe's part. It would be particularly helpful if you could map the site and print it to a document for reviewers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines