• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Anamorphic Lens Support

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot video using the Red Epic camera, which shoots super high resolution video. I often pull high-res photos from the camera and use them in Lightroom. However, I'm hoping to add a feature that supports anamorphic lenses. These lenses shoot natively-stretched pixels. Meaning, the images are stretched vertically 2:1. It's a classic way to shoot movies, and I wish Lightroom supported a way to select the pixel aspect ratio so the images can be viewed undistorted. Currently, I have to stretch them in Photoshop and export. Which is a bummer because the Red Camera's raw files are supported in LR, and I would love to use those files straight from the camera rather than make new ones. Anyone else agree?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will be great if we can process anamorphic pictures with Lightroom. to correct a squeeze factor of x2 or x1,33.
my workflow here needs to process each file through Photoshop.
not a difficult feature to implement as a cursor exist in lens correction but it's too restrictive

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a pretty easy fix because Lightroom already has it part-way built in. In DEVELOP, under LENS CORRECTIONS > MANUAL the ASPECT slider only reaches -100. If it were to reach -500 people using any anamorphic lens could correct their aspect ratio very quickly in LR instead of the laborious and time consuming third party options. Please do this Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my +1 to this request. It would be lovely to be able to correct a 2x horizontal squeeze. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to add that a 1.5x would be useful, too. Would love this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With anamorphic lenses now even available for mobile phone cameras (Moondog / Moment) I would very much lke to see this across all flavours of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. Especially for the Lightroom Mobile (iOS app)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking every photo into Photoshop is a huge pain if you ever go back and change your mind about the raw parameters.  As someone else mentioned, there is already an aspect slider.  This just needs to be extended to allow for common desqueeze ratios like 2x and 1.33x

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so Adobe dev team, is it possible to implement this in order to help and optimize our workflow?
just modify the aspect slider with a guide at 2x and 1,33x
please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my mind the slider should rest at 0 in the middle for no distortion. Negative numbers on the left and positive numbers on the right, with the ability to type in any aspect ratio needed. Different anamorphic lenses are going to continually be introduced, including 1.8x format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like this too, it's a pain going to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, just allow that Aspect slider in Transform tab to go to -500 or so from the current -100.
I mean, the feature is already there, enhance it a bit, that’s all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see this feature aswell

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some searching I found a good workaround for this:

I only tried it on Windows, but you should be able to do it in a similiar fashion on Mac:

1. Download exiftool (https://exiftool.org/)

2. On Windows you have to extract it, rename the .exe to "exiftool.exe" and place it in  "C:/Windows"

3. Import your anamorphic images to lightroom as "DNG" (!important!).

4. Open the folder with your images and create a new textfile.

5. Paste this in the new textfile:

for %%f in (*.*) do exiftool -DefaultScale="1.33 1.0" -overwrite_original %%f

This command will change the pixel aspect ratio of all images in the folder it is executed in. In this example 1.33x was used, if you have another aspect ratio you can change it.
For example for 2x change it to -DefaultScale="1.33 1.0" ot -DefaultScale="2.0 1.0"

6. Change the file ending of the textfile to ".bat", for example "desqueeze.bat".

7. Execute the batfile in the folder with your images.

8. Restart Lightroom and your images should appear in the correct aspect ratio. At least in the Develop-Tab, for some reasen they are shown in the original aspect ratio in the library.

You can use the .bat file in any folder you want so you can save it for later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I much appreciate the workaround tip. I think you hit the nail on the head by calling it the Pixel Aspect Ratio, because that's really what it is. Used to deal with that all the time when working with standard-definition video's .9 pixel aspect ratios in Premiere and After Effects. Hopefully Adobe adds similar functionality so we I can keep my .r3d files in their native format without converting to DNG or making new files in a roundabout trip to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite new with this "exiftool", especially on Mac OS. Would you please advise about how to desqueeze anamorphic photos with this tool on Mac.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was immensly helpful. 

However, on OS X the new file isn't readable by Lightroom. It seems to think the file is broken, and thus can't be edited. 

As a workaround, I import it into bridge or photoshop which CAN read it, and then save the DNG again in Camera Raw. This DNG is them readbale by lightroom without issues. 

Obviously this is far from ideal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to say that this anamorphic function would be extremely useful. The workaround via Photoshop  is not ideal and then I have two files that show up in my library. Even a box where we can type in different squeeze ratios would be sweet. Being able to do any ratio would be ideal. Hope this makes it through! I'd really like to be able to browse these photos desqueezed and without doubles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this thread. Anamorphic support needs to happen, it would be such a nice feature, space and time saver! Please implement. The year is 2023!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Here we are, 10 years later, and the slider STILL only goes to +/-100. COME ON, ADOBE. You get our money perpetually now. Anamorphic lenses are more available than ever. Don't you think it's time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 years and only 26 votes, that's a problem and probably why Adobe isn't considering it. Gotta get more votes. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, I didn't even know there was a vote function here, or that it's how Adobe's development objectives were set. Maybe I'm the only one here for whom that's the case, but I doubt it. Anyway, it's *not* hard to allow manual values to be entered. They allow it on other controls. Apple allows it in FCPX. It's a pretty trivial improvement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's spelled out here: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

And you'll notice the upvote box at the top, with only 26 votes. 

As for 'not hard' to provide the feature, you have the source code, and you know not only how difficult it would be but what features are on the table that might have to be sidelined to provide the feature to only 26 people in 10 years have voted for? 

Get more votes, then the possibility (zero promises), the feature will even be considered will get considered. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol whoosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a video producer and shoot video with anamorphic lenses a lot. Every now and then I also use these lenses to take pictures that I want to edit with lightroom mobile. Unfortunately I cannot use the app to 'desqueeze' my pictures. It would be awesome to have a different slider in the geometry section of lightroom mobile. Now it goes from -100% to +100%, but it's not clear what is exactly happens. The app does not state how the aspect ratio changes. Alternatively, seperate sliders for height and width could also sort my problem, e.g. 100% width, 55% height (since I am using 1.8x anamorphics)

Votes

Translate

Translate