• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make All Adjustments Local

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like all adjustments to be available locally (i.e. maskable, and ability to apply with different settings).

(This hasn't been explicitly suggest yet on this "forum", has it?)

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012
New local adjustment parameters in Lightroom 4:

Noise Reduction
Temperature and Tint
Shadows
Highlights
Moire

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
Mentor ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The implementation details might (or might not) result in a performance penalty for additional local adjustments, therefore I'd prefer to prioritize mine. I think the team is well aware that having everything localizable is a desirable thing, but if (!) there is a penalty, I'd prefer WB and NR to be top of the list. Creative sharpening is, I feel, important as well, but it might be a separate item (or not) from the local adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that all adjustments should be localisable. A performance penalty should only occur for those using computing intensive adjustments.

If it has to be a subset of controls, creative sharpening and HSL control are ones that should be high up the list (The latter has been suggested as an idea already).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I'd even like to be able to apply camera calibration profiles locally, and lens corrections, and even color noise reduction, I realize some things may require bigger design changes and trade-offs than others. I'm OK with *some* things being global if "necessary", so:

Priorities:
-----------
1. Lum. Noise Reduction *and* Sharpening Parameters (not just amount) (I now see these as parts of the same whole).
2. Color Adjustment (e.g. HSL, WB)
3. Tone Curve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if there is a fix for the poor performance when using the adjstment brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is zero lag for me when using the adjustment brush - very spunky - I can't brush faster than Lr can keep up...

Biggest part of fix was new motherboard - although motherboard faster, I think a bigger factor may have been the extensive system re-configuration and new drivers that occurred in the course of installing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I bet if you keep on adding adjustment brush strokes, at some point things will slow down. It has always been like that for me and I've been told that it never had been any different, even in old ACR versions.

Interactive performance should not go down with the number of local image adjustments, but it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TK, I'll take notice. But, I do a fair amount of brushing and haven't noticed it yet, granted I wasn't looking for it either. In any case, its 2-orders of magnitude faster now than before, straight out of the gate, so a bug is no longer biting... - at least some of the problem for some people is due to "abnormal" behavior. If that is the case for you or anybody else, it would be good to get past it if possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy if this is ALL that was in LR4 improvements. This is my number 1 request, along with mask generation improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost agree, but I find that better distraction removal support is even more important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We" know you do TK ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, do you also see a considerable improvement in interactivity when you reduce the LR window size?

I love to work in full-screen mode (the only proper way of using LR, AFAIC). I also like to see the image I'm working on as big as possible, so I collapse all panels, except the develop panel. This means, however, that if I move e.g., the exposure slider, the updates of the image rendering lag behind a little. If I move the slider by a large amount, the image rendering catches up in a jerky way.

If I leave full screen mode and reduce LR's window size then suddenly updates to the image are practically immediate! The editing experience becomes truly interactive then.

I cannot believe that my hardware isn't powerful enough to cope with displaying a bigger image. I believe this is an age-old ACR problem, isn't it? Do you still observe it on your system? Is it justified to create a bug report?

How I wish I had the responsiveness of the "small window"-LR in full-screen mode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance at full-size is *about* the same as small-window, for me. - not quite, but so good that I never even think about it - I use almost exclusively in "full screen" mode... I'm guessing its more likely a (display?) driver issue than a horse-power issue, (assuming its not just a difference in perception of the same thing) but I'm a bit out on a limb again... - I think this has been an ongoing issue in the other forum, e.g. "Lr 3.3 Performance Feedback", but it may be worth seeing what kind of response you get here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote goes to brining the Recovery and Fill light to local adjustment brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
i would like to use all adjustments with the "local adjustment brush", not only the few offered; like the color correction, noise, sharpen and so on.
BR
Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For performance reasons we can't reasonably do ALL adjustments on a local basis, at least not with the current design. We have to focus on what makes sense to localize the most, i.e., what would be the most useful, provide the most bang for the buck. Photographically, for example, it makes sense to want localized exposure, but probably not localized keystoning (though certainly would be an interesting effect ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your feedback on this topic Eric, especially regarding to your comment about the "current design". In the longer term (but not too long ;^)) I would like to see a redesign. In the short term, the items I would like to see added, if feasible, in order of importance to me:

1. Noise reduction
2. Recovery
3. Chromatic Aberration

Finally, I would like to see improvements to auto mask on high contrast edges to prevent halos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised by #3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have situations with long lenses (600mm) showing both blue and red CA where LR can only correct for one or the other but not both. If I could apply CA locally then I could completely remove the CA. BTW, nikon software can completely remove the CA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, if i have to select my top ones, it would be color and sharpening

concerning the performance, is it not possible to have two local adjustment versions, the current one, and an advanced version, this then triggers an internal copy of the image (on the HD) where you make all changes persistent, so you do not have to calculate all on the fly?
so fake it for the cost of disc space ... as role back to original still possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2011 Aug 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sascha, you can already do local sharpening in LR2 and LR3.

We're not keen on making intermediate rendered versions on disk, partly because writing huge temp files is also a big performance hit, and partly because that eliminates the non-destructive aspects of the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rory, you could, but frankly local CA correction is very suboptimal (you wouldn't want to be doing this on every image, separately). Have you tried using lens profiles instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, I have tried creating a lens profile, but I found it challenging to do with a 600mm + TC14. The profile I created did not resolve the CA issues. I agree with you that localized CA is a kludge (suboptimal). I was just looking for a quick hit.

As I think about this more what I really want, in the short term, is a fringe removal brush, that would deal with fringing, tough CA and halo issues. This would be extremely useful for CA, fringing and cleaning up after auto mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and cleaning up after auto mask. "

I would be very opposed to them designing a tool to clean up after the failings of another tool. I'd rather they spend that time fixing the failings!

Fringing (longitudinal CA) is something that's really hard to correct properly. I wonder if there's a simple way to be more effective than the current fringe tool which seems to have too small of a radius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Blacks
2. Fill light
3. HSL
4. Recovery
5. Curves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that fixing the shortcomings of existing tools is important and can often lead to improved workflow. The problem with just making things local is that local adjustments are inherently hard to sync meaningfully across a bunch of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate