• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw adjustments in context of other layers

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

currently when you use the amazing camera raw on a layer, it opens a separate interface which is great, but... alas, if you are in need of color matching you are facing a problem because you can't see the color correction in the composite psd document until you close camera raw.

if camera raw could be applied in both windows or have a view of the composite in camera raw as one of the views at the bottom this would be amazing. (btw, spliting the views with a way to actually move the split vertically or horizontally and not the layer would be nice)

if you want an example this is same as a color correction is applied to layers as an effect in after effects.

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
30 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea and would use it daily! I added my vote at the top. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. hopefully we would get the Team's attention. currently if I want to composite I resort to adjustment layers with clipping masks or smart filters. but camera raw is so intuitive, we should be able to watch the composite as we work in it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people clicking the [Vote] button at the top is the surest way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature request!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Camera RAW as a filter has totally changed the way I edit files. I would be great to see all the layers that are in a PSD file show up in Camera RAW as I use Colour Masks in my job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's great now to have access to Camera Raw as filter.

But it will be PERFECT to have the filter as a adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has been raised in the past and marked as "not planned", but I'd really like to add my vote to the idea of having Camera Raw, or at least some of the features within ACR/LR available within Photoshop as an adjustment layer.

Right now, I can blend a bunch of exposures using layer masks, flatten the image and then do ACR adjustments on that. The trouble is, if I then want to go back and change the blend somehow, I need to discard my flattened layer and ACR adjustments, and then re-do it again. Another option is to do the exposure blend, then import back into Lightroom and do adjustments in there, and then create a new PSD/TIFF to do further PS work.

The trouble with both these options is they are not fully non-destructive. At some point you have to bake your adjustments into a new layer or file. Given that ACR/LR adjustments are just XML instructions on top of an underlying file, why can't we apply these adjustments as an adjustment layer along with curves, colour balance and all the rest?

If it is not possible to do this for some technical reason, it would be great to have ACR's basic sliders available as a global adjustment and the ability to do gradient, radial and brush local adjustments, plus the range masking feature. I'm less bothered about the other Develop panels as PS has enough features to do those functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's frustrating to fine-tune the ACR filter without seeing its results in the actual document window.

I find the ACR filter very useful for adjusting the Temperature, Tint, and recovering shadow/highlight detail. I do these ACR moves on a stamped-up Smart Object, above my pixel edits (compositing and touch-up) but below my color adjustment layers. This allows me to set precise white / black points and perform localized adjustments with layer masks. But I can't see the results of my adjustment layers within the ACR filter's window. (...And rightly so 🙂 )

Here is another example of where an ACR filter preview could be useful: As a finishing touch in composites, I often use ACR's Grain fx on a 50% grey smart object which is set to a blend mode in the contrast family. It would be great to be able to see the ACR filter's results rendered within the current document window, even if I had to click a "Preview" button and wait a few seconds.

As it is, I have to apply the ACR smart filter, then re-adjust, then re-apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote the Post of Marsupial. I also do the non-desctrutive noise variant described in the post. And for color correction – yes to see a preview applied in the document itself ... would be great and very useful. in the moment you have to re-apply, finetune, re-apply. it's like flying blind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes. A thousand times yes. Raw's sliders for color/tone matching plus the ability to see what is being matched? Mmmmm good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be just great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we're still waiting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any day now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a freelance retoucher, the camera raw filter on a smart object gets used on 99% percent of my files. having it open in a new window, make my adjustments and then close to see the result mixed with other layers, is slow and sluggish. Being able to see the adjusments with all other labels would be huge for speeding up my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 3 years can we imagine having this feature which could be a game changer for image compositing. Moreover this function is already present on affinity photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone ، i have a simple question...

Can I show or hide some layers in camera raw filter to can see the difference directly inside camer raw fllter, can I control which layers are included in the effect from within the filter?

I have a project and I would like to make an effect on part of it (a layer), but at the same time I would like to see the change in all the project from within the filter directly before applying it, is that possible?  Is there an option inside the filter that allows me to display the selected part in addition to the rest of the image?

"Sorry for my google translate language 😁"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm merging your post for a request to get that function that does not yet exist, but would be so useful, I can't understand it's not yet available.

Please vote on top of the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear god this is necessary. Please please please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that this feature is planned! I actually only found this page as a result of Googling how to do this. As someone who uses PS for astrophotography, I use a lot of adjustment layers to work from the darkest areas of raw files. The ACR preview image is a million miles away from the finished edit. So much so that I often can't even get an idea of the changes until I hit apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom HM please invite other users of any astrophoto forum you might visit to vote in this thread, and explain why you need this feature. The new masking abilities might make this request even more pressing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this coming along, I would need this as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Googled to see if it was possible and found this post, would love to see this implemented!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 year later after I last checked, 2.5 years after the status was planned, still no change in status? this comes up all the time. sometimes I end up doing my comp work in After Effects because it's just better at it. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg still no any way to see camera raw result before apply?

Votes

Translate

Translate