• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Name

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the naming of the exported textures either has to be based on project name, mesh name or shader name, it's quite restrictive having to change naming conventions of exported fbxs or substance file names in order to get properly named texture files.

In studio environments it's often not possible to change the name of the substance file or exported geometry to fit the naming of the textures. Also having to change the output templates for every project is a drag. So I'd like to be able to change the $project variable inside the Edit > Project Configuration screen. I could be set automatically upon importing the file, but I feel like you should be able to tweak it without having to rename the geometry file.

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Hi @Wim Coene,

Intersting topic. I will share the idea to the team at our next meeting.

Thanks for the request.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Wim Coene,

Intersting topic. I will share the idea to the team at our next meeting.

Thanks for the request.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wim Coene 
This is something I ran into in our studio as well. Ultimately decided to rely on texture set names for export (material names)

number of reasons: - mesh names can't be trusted, sometimes the asset is broken up into multiple meshes for texturing, or sometimes there are multiple copies of the mesh for each texture set/texture variation that is used in the same file .
substance scene name also not reliable - can't force artist to use a single scene without ability to iterate and add 001, 002 etc

here are some "fun" things that this workflow brings:
- must have automatic tools for maya/max to assign materials and rename it asset_name_1001 , asset_name_1002 etc for each texture set/variation 
- maya doesn't allow hyphens in material names, but our producers demand ID-9999_asset_name format. therefore my maya materials become ID_9999_asset_name_1001 and my python export tool has to rename files post-export and replace first underscore with a dash

@Cyril Dellenbach 
please please consider adding ability to rename texture sets with python.
a lot of times in a studio environment there is a separate text file that holds the source of truth regarding asset name, and most tools rely on that file when exporting/importing and assembling things together, rather than artist given names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Dzmitry2918485967ds,

We know how much a more in depth Python API could improve the workflow of many artists and studios. We are currently working on it, but I can't share you much more than that. Please be patient and check our next releases.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources