• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3 Decades and you still can’t right click copy cut or paste…lame lame lame and the beat goes on

Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 Decades and you still can’t right click copy cut or paste?…lame lame lame and the beat goes on

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

follow this link in the adobe forums:

Illustrator's weak right-click menu...

Because right-click to bring up a menu is:

• Much faster and easier than keyboard shortcuts
  • Reduces cognitive load by having a consistent way to display what can be done with what you are right-clicking on
  • Would be more consistent with some other CS products

Even when there are right-click menus available in similar places in CS products (such as the la

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I don't want to start a 'yes / no' discussion But I think the reason is that other right click options are more important. Of course people use cut/copy/paste a lot, but almost everyone uses (and knows) the shortcuts of those three options, and don't know the shortcuts of other options that are used a lot when right clicking.... When adding copy/cut/paste to the right click menu, the menu will be too big, I guess.

So I think it will be the best solution to just learn the shortcuts and not use the right click menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other right click options are more valuable than basic Cut, Copy and Paste? Keyboard shortcuts are great, but work in any other program like InDesign or Photoshop using the right click function AND then switch over to an 'illustration' program like Illustrator and you can't perform the software's basic function...ridiculous...it's more efficient to right click and not think about it while working in Illustrator.  Sorry, I have been an Illustrator user and Instructor (ACE) since it's inception and it's still workflow interruption for my clients and myself. Tell clients oh by the way you can't do right click of these functions in Illustrator but you can every other Adobe program, baloney!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right that it's a basic function But I think we don't share the same opinion and experiences about/with this. I'm teaching Illustrator almost every week to a new group (adults) and really never had one complain about this. Just learn them to use the shortcuts, or use the Edit menu. Or, when copying use ALT/Option-drag. My experience is that almost everyone uses shortcuts. And, people who don't use shortcuts mostly use the Edit menu. But, maybe more people have this same problem... In this case you can always ask for a feature request of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I old fashion and like to have program basic function work consistently between each other. I have asked for this to Adobe for years....

Let's see InDesign, Photoshop, Captivate, Acrobat....hmm seems available here...My last thot is that when it was first created it was a Mac only program and we didn't have two button mice, so it never got changed.

I would find it irritating that I got in one car and the gas pedal was on the dashboard and all others were on the floorboard...

Thanks for discussing...I'm done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

follow this link in the adobe forums:

Illustrator's weak right-click menu...

Because right-click to bring up a menu is:

• Much faster and easier than keyboard shortcuts
  • Reduces cognitive load by having a consistent way to display what can be done with what you are right-clicking on
  • Would be more consistent with some other CS products

Even when there are right-click menus available in similar places in CS products (such as the layers in Photoshop and InDesign), the menus are not the same.  Not even close, really.  This inconsistency with right-click menus matches the inconsistency with just about every other UI/UX aspect across the CS.  And that is inexcusable.  When working across multiple applications, these inconsistencies create a persistent cognitive load on the user, due to the need to keep in mind which application they are in and how to perform the same functions in this application as the other applications.  It is greatly complicated when one spends days or weeks working mostly in one application, then days or weeks working mostly in another application, and then switching back to the original one.  It is like learning it all over again.

This prevents apps in the CS from every becoming natural and second-nature, where tasks are performed without concious thought on how to use the UI to accomplish them.  If a person was only ever in one application, this is not an issue. But it is sold and marketed as a suite, and even has "suite" in the name.  But the UI, UX, and workflows reflect the reality: it is a collection of individual applications that just happen to be sold as a package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we add copy and paste to the menu? Any plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have finally added right click copy and paste to Illustrator after a 30 year wait.  Used it by accident today, assuming that it was there since all other programs have had it since the beginning of time.  And .... holy %&$, it actually was there.  Our long international nightmre is over. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was doing something at work with Illustrator 26.5 and "group" didn't show up in the right click menu, as well as "copy" and "paste", but the options are almost always there now. Illustrator is so much easier to use. Thank you, GUI people. This should have been done ages ago, as it was an accessibility update. I hope they can also get rid of the bugs in this version. The top startup image with rounded corners sometimes gets black pointy corners as the screen behind it is black. Then it turns transparent again after the black box disappears. It is also difficult to create and edit tool pallets. Why can't we easily add and remove nested tools? I have to keep mousing over and clicking the icons for a long time. Only sometimes do they move up a level so they can be moved around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines