Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Bevel Extrude- Maintain 2D Color but achieve 3D style

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm trying to create simple 3D type/shapes for a banner ad, but need to use a company's brand color (specific color value). Previously, I've faked it by layering type or shapes in illustrator, but recently have prefered the ease of the 3D option in Illustrator. 
However, as the 3D option uses shading/light source, my color value changes to a different red (which makes sense as 3D objects have highlights/lowlights).
I know I can use the "no shading" option  and still use the rotation option etc., but is there still a way to use the 3D tools, and somehow maintain, or recolor my main shape/type after I've applied a 3D effect/rotations? 

Attached is a screen grab of a test document-- The rectangle is the red value I want, and the lightning bolt is as close I could achieve by messing with the lighting intensity. However, they are still different reds.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Object > Expand Appearance working for you to recolor specific areas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to be.
I can highlight the shape and go to Object>Expand Appearance and then I get the ? for the fill, so I input the correct color value, and technically the lightning bolt is the correct color value, but it is shaded (for the 3D effect), so it shows shading how that value would show it. 
So maybe the 3D effect short cut isn't the best one for something that has to maintain a very specific brand color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you get the ? for the fill you have more than one object selected with different fills.

Try to use the Direct Selection tool to click only on the color you want to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems easier to just draw this - I assume you have other art which is more complicated that requires the same look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd definitely be easier to draw, no doubt. But yes, with more complicated art and type, it will start getting really time consuming. 
So I was wondering if there was a short cut or some sort of easier cheat to maintain that 2D plane on the front while still being able to use the 3D capabilities of illustrator.

But, as maybe seems as if illustrator is using the concept of a light source to create 3D, maybe it's not possible to maintain my original color value, except manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines