• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Effect Shadow Transparency

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been playing with the new 3D effects on the Illustrator 2022. Is there a way to adjust the shadow transparency of the object? As it is now, it's way too dark, which works sometimes. But would it be possible to make it a little subtle?

default67dsw68vqxbt_0-1636495315991.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

This looks like you need to turn on raytracing in the 3D effect panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, maybe there is a way, but what I do, I use the appearance panel with two 3D effects applied 

for the top fill I don't use shadow and for the other fill I use shadow and I reduce the opacity 

EugenioNYC_0-1640989601598.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. It's always a workaround and not an actual solution with Adobe lately. (Almost 2023 and this is still an issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like you need to turn on raytracing in the 3D effect panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why this is the correct answer.
Turning on Ray Tracing does NOT allow you to control the transparency of the shadow.
There is no setting in the ray tracing dialogue that allows you to do that and, for me, ray tracing simply burs the shadow but does not fade it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering the same thing. You can turn on the shadow but it's set to almost 100 percent opacity by default. Seems like there should be a slider for that. For now your appearance panel method does the trick but it's a little clunky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a real cool trick! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The double fill?

You are welcome

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: The apperance panel trick won't work if you have a grouped object with multiple colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is turn on Raytracing, so shadows are calculated according to the lighting settings.

Then adjust the lighting.

Less light "Intensity" will also make a lighter shadow.

A higher "Softness" value will give you softer edges to your shadow and therefore make the shadow lighter.

More "Ambient Light" will make the shadow lighter as well.

Darker objects will also have a darker shadow (because less light reflections between ground and object)

Shadow and light cannot be separated from each other in this. And if you have an object with a high contrast, then it will look unrealistic when it throws just a slight shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish there were separate controls for the shadow opacity. If you increase the intensity it also affects the colors of the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just not how shadow works in real life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do realize that but when you are creating infographics and logo art you want control over each part of the art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't use pixel based effects in logos anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either but my point is you want to have control over how it looks. Why not have multiple shadows and opacity settings like Photoshop. "Real" objects have multiple shadows with different light sources resulting in shadows with different opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have multiple shadows and opacity settings like Photoshop.

By Vectorgeek@work

Photoshop has a drop shadow effect. No 3D (anymore).

Apart from that: Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com That is where the developers are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines