• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D : Is everything that was possible using "Classic tool" POSSIBLE with new 3D panel?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting started with 3D. Don't have particular ambitions.

Learned how to use the "3D Classic" tools a long time ago so I have a "general" idea of what the new panel is all about.

But I am having difficulty "replicating" using the new 3D panel what I was able to accomplish in the Classic mode.

Here, for example, is a screen capture showing my results so far:

Ai 3D.png

As you can see, the results (right) out of the new 3D panel are somewhat not quite what I am geting out of using the Classic mode (left)? I found how to select "Graphics" from my Symbols panel (6 orange rectangles at the bottom of the capture) in the new 3D panel but that's about it.. Nothing on how to go about the old "surfaces"? 

I browsed the "Help" provided by Adobe, here, but it's quite shallow. I was hoping for some kind of "Migration" help?.. I've watched a number of YouTube videos but none specifically showing how to achieve the same kind of results in the "Old" vs "New" mode.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

The classic effects are still there for that exact reason. There are even more limitations when mapping artwork. Let's just celebrate the fact that you do not need to migrate, but can use both. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The classic effects are still there for that exact reason. There are even more limitations when mapping artwork. Let's just celebrate the fact that you do not need to migrate, but can use both. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, dear Monika. I confess I did not know enough of the new 3D "tools" to be able to answer my question. I hope Adobe keeps the "Classic" mode around. In my class, I wanted to introduce the students to Illustrator's 3D tools and in the past, under the older versions, I did not need to worry about whether to ignore the old tools in favor of the new tools. But with your precious reply, I now know what to tell the students 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Let's lobby together for keeping the classic effects 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And improve them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines