Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

47 year old newbie

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm old.... this is new. 

Looking for a keyboard that may help in designing.  Something that won't break the bank.  

Any recommendations? 

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Is there something you don’t like about your current keyboard, a specific problem that you need to solve?

For the most part, keyboards don’t make that much difference when designing. Maybe only in some very specific ways:

If you love function key shortcuts, for example if you like to assign actions or commands to the function keys (F2 through F15), then you might prefer a keyboard that has function keys across the top.

If you enter numbers all the time, for things like height, width, font

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A keyboard? Any cheap keyboard that connects to your computer and doesn't fall apart when you simply look at it, will do. Personally I prefer the extended ones with separate number pad. Are you planning to use shortcuts a lot? Then you might want to make sure it has F keys.

If you will also be typing a lot, you might want to try some out and see which one best supports your typing needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm a bit confused too. What do you envisage it doing, that your current keyboard doesn't already do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something you don’t like about your current keyboard, a specific problem that you need to solve?

For the most part, keyboards don’t make that much difference when designing. Maybe only in some very specific ways:

If you love function key shortcuts, for example if you like to assign actions or commands to the function keys (F2 through F15), then you might prefer a keyboard that has function keys across the top.

If you enter numbers all the time, for things like height, width, font size, percentages… then you might prefer an extended keyboard with a 10-key number pad next to the main keyboard.

If you frequently use the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys when designing (for example, Page Up and Page Down scroll the window in Illustrator), then you might want an extended keyboard that includes those keys.

If you frequently design using both your computer and creative tablet/phone apps, you might want a Bluetooth keyboard that can pair with multiple devices. My keyboard has three buttons so that by pressing a different button, the keyboard will switch its connection from my computer to my iPad or phone, so I can type on them instead.

There are some specialty keyboards that have unusual features, like a built-in trackpad. The Logitech Craft keyboard has a dial on it that you would map to an option in your design software, so you can adjust a number by turning the dial.

But for many designers, the input device that makes a bigger difference is whether they prefer using a mouse, a trackpad, a trackball, or a graphics tablet with a stylus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines