• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A partial shadow

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if this has been discussed but iv been searchin for 3 hours with no answers, I want to strike out a shaow around text so its partial I will try add photos

I type my text copy past and offset them layered and add a stroke and get the effect I want but I want to take out the stroke and as I'm cutting to vinyl I just want to shadow shapes that are seen to be cut, its driving me mad

this is the effect I want to get and how I want the final design to be like for plotting.

this image is how I need my text, it was a logo that a customer already had made, as u can see all the grey partial shadow is separate so will cut separate in plotter

20180214_231953.jpg

This photo is what I achieve when I layer and add a stroke, but when I try and make the stroke transparent it doesn't work will work fine if I test it with shapes, but even converting to outline etc nothing works, 20180214_232203.jpgas

please help I'm goin out my mind, or even if anyone knows a way to get that partial shadow another way,as I can tell from the pics i.e the A the shadow used by whoever made the company logo is not the same shadow if I offset layer it like iv done, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want this in a way that can be plotted?

Then outline the text, outline the stroke, use the pathfinder "Merge" ( from the pathfinder panel) and then delete all the white objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnw49810379​,

use a knockoutgroup and a second fill and stroke in the appearence panel (instead of a second object) for editable shadow.

Aussparungsgruppe_1.png

set transparency of stroke to 0%

Aussparungsgruppe_2.png

if the shadow is correct in size and position > save > then flatten transparency and clean your artwork for the plotter.

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixel many thanks for your answer I try this but my new fill doesn't show would you be able to tell me how to do it in words rather than pictures, iv tried it few times I must be doin something wrong as still only getting one layer from 2 fills thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the ai is more helpful than an extensive explanation

Dropbox - Aussparungsgruppe_Textkontur2_CC.ai

select the text frame and open the appearance panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped although I still cant figure it out so I used yours and teaked it, however how do I get it so my plotter cuts just the blue parts of shadows you can see I have tried taking out the shapes etc but its still solid thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/pixxxel+schubser  schrieb

… if the shadow is correct in size and position > save > then flatten transparency and clean your artwork for the plotter.

Have fun

After that check your artwork in path view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To illustrate Monika's answer:

1. Add the needed appearance to your text (fills, strokes, additional transformed fill as shadow etc.)

plott_001.jpg

2. Outline the text (Type -> Create Outlines, Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+O)

plott_002.jpg

3. Expand Appearance

plott_003.jpg

this will convert all your appearance elements to objects

4. Outline stroke to convert it into the object (I used white stroke but it could be of any color, doesn't matter)

plott_004.jpg

5. The main thing: use Merge option of Pathfinder palette to unite all contiguous same-color elements and delete all overlapped ones.

plott_005.jpg

6. Select and delete all elements with Stroke color.

plott_006.jpg

Now you have only normal objects, ready for the plotter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines