• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Custom Template to Saved Templates in Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save a template I created in Illustrator to a location where it will appear here, under Saved templates. Is it seriously only possible to Save templates to here that have been purchased by Adobe?? I'm a designer—I make all of my own templates, like everyone else Lol. How is this not super simple? Been wondering how to do this for years. Is it just me????  Please help!! ❤️

Begging you,

Shelby

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 6.44.12 PM.png

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

The "Saved" tab is for templates you downloaded from Adobe Stock.

Please post this on http://illustrator.uservoice.com or add your vote here (and I assume there are similar requests) https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/33324217--saved-menu-in-new-document-window-should-show-my

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Saved" tab is for templates you downloaded from Adobe Stock.

Please post this on http://illustrator.uservoice.com or add your vote here (and I assume there are similar requests) https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/33324217--s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can't honestly be correct. Adobe's Photoshop has a near-identical launch window which features the same "saved" template tab, and I organize all of my custom templates for workflow reasons. There really shouldn't be any voting necessary. It's like the devs for the teams don't talk to each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can't honestly be correct. Adobe's Photoshop has a near-identical launch window which features the same "saved" template tab, and I organize all of my custom templates for workflow reasons.

By @Charles21850702efo2

You'd think so, but here we are. Please add your voice to the uservoice chorus. It really should make more sense than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2 years on since you're original post and we're still in the same situation. Seems crazy to me that personalised templates can't be saved in the 'saved' section. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can save them in the regular Templates folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2023\Cool Extras\en_US\Templates

(You'll have to search for the Mac version)

I put all Adobe's templates in a different folder and just have mine in there. New from template - Shift-Ctrl-N...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that there is one more aspect to this and it is a major reason why "make your own template folder and use Command + Shift + 'N'" isn't the perfect solution. For me, I'll for get i set these template up too and forget to use ⌘ + ⇧+ N. I want templates for all the A-series and B-series paper sizes bigger than A3 which is all AI bothers to include these days (sis they used to have A1 or am i thinking of ID?).

The alternative of saving as Print or Web user preset document sizes is very problematic for me too:

If you open one of the Print, Web, Film and Video, etc etc .ai files in the `Support Files/New Document Profiles/en_US folder you'll see an interesting thing. It will open with only one size visible, say the NTSC 840 x 432 pixels video template and none of the others are visible.

But if you select the Page tool (⇧+ P) you can navigate through all the other Film and Video document sizes — the relevant templates for resizing the "page"/canvas come up in a drop down menu. It must all be happening under the hood, because while we can add or own .ai files to the same folder and they will appear at the bottom of the New Docs dialogue after clicking "Show all presets" and in my case 3 or 4 restarts of AI (if I'm lucky!), but they wont ever come up in the drop down menu of presets (see screen shots).

Another problem is it's really random — for me at least — as to when copying an .ai fie into that Support Files/… folder (you'll need admin privilege using sudo in Terminal or entering password for an admin account in Finder). An even worse problem is once the file appears in the Print or Web "show all Presets" dialogue (seems to inherit properties from the print.ai or web.ai) … deleting the file doesn't remove the preset from the offerings. OMG this is annoying.

Where to save them (i think).
Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.44.02 pm.png

This list of preset sizes is populated under the hood and not from the .ai documents in the New Document Profiles folder.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.42.07 pm.png

I did eventually get AO info the Print Presets tab (yay!), ithis A0 file was a re-save of my edits to the original Print.ai document that ships with Illustraor, presumably that's where it inherited it's assignment to the Print tab, otherwise no idea how AI assigns these to Print and Web tab rather than the Saved or whatevr Tab (make a new User Preset Profiles tab Adobe!!). It has correct dimension and units I want by default (mm):

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.40.27 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum and at 95% of people aren't even staff. We cannot change the application.

Please put feature requests here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this will work for y'all but I do a workaround using "Libraries".  E.g., to create a custom size artboard template, I just drag and drop a rectangle with the dimensions I need into the library.  If I then double click on it in the library, it opens a new file with an artboard of those dimensions.  Not sure what kind of templates you had in mind but playing around with libraries might do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines