• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator 2022 – 3D Text/Object – Workflow for flat vector shapes from 3D object

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

I'm on the search for help regarding the updated 3D tool in Illustrator (2022). My illustration workflow was very dependent on the fact that I could create 3D Text without shading and go to Object > Expand. I had the 3D shapes in vectors and could change all of their fill and stroke properties.

Now in Illustrator 2022, I don't have the option to create a material without shading anymore nor can I transform the parts into proper shapes as before. Is there a new workflow to create shapes from the text? I played around with it for a while now and I just see a lot of useless materials and lighting options. It also automatically renders the text into an image (which is obviously not what you want from a vector program). I just want the text converted into shapes without any lighting or anything. 

I attached some screenshots of what I mean:

Illustrator2021_01: You see the "Surface: No Shading" option

Illustrator2021_02: Option > Expand/Expand Appearance was turning it into usables shapes

Illustrator2021_03: You could fill and stroke how you wanted

Illustrator2022_01: No usable options here

Illustrator2022_02: If you "Expand" it it turns into an Image without any vector shapes

I hope someone has an advice for me. This is very frustrating. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

1. You can still use the "Classic" 3D effects

2. In the Raytracing options you can enable to create vector paths. You then have to click "Render". And then expand appearance. You can try if that does what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

"Can you return to the old tool?"

It is still there:

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 13.10.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

I agree that the new 3D function should give workable vectors after expanding. We can only hope that the new 3D and Materials effect will give that in the future.

Maybe you can vote here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/44732875-please-re-introduce-3d-vectors

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Illustrator forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You can still use the "Classic" 3D effects

2. In the Raytracing options you can enable to create vector paths. You then have to click "Render". And then expand appearance. You can try if that does what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I don't understand why they had to ruin a perfectly good tool. Why does it render a raster shape in a vector program?

Can you return to the old tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you return to the old tool?"

It is still there:

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 13.10.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still there is sort of the right answer, but Illustrator is a vector tool, so Adobe should make the default vector output and the new functionality should be an option. I could see the reverse for photoshop, except Adobe has decided to nerf photoshop and move its 3D functionality into a separate program that requires a second subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

This forum is 95% just normal users. Only people marked as staff are staff. The developers are best reached out to via Uservoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the new 3D function should give workable vectors after expanding. We can only hope that the new 3D and Materials effect will give that in the future.

Maybe you can vote here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/447...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! You just saved my bacon. In the new 3D panel, the light is attached to the object's position. So if you have 3 identical objects and you rotate them in different directions, they will also all be lit from different directions. But I tried this in the old 3D panel & it uses a proper universal light! I can rotate the objects in different directions, but they're all lit as if from the same source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines