Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROCESS:
- You make changes to a document.
- You save the document.

- You close the document.
- You open the document

PROBLEM:
- When you open the document you discover that the changes made have not been saved.

In the company we are several users of Illustrator and it has already happened to four of us.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving these files?

Are you saving as AI or PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep them in the same place where the original file was.

I save them as AI, although this usually happens when you save a copy as PDF. The PDF is correct, but the changes made to the AI file have not been saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where is that place?

Can you try and turn off "Save in background" in the preferences > File handling & clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Would you mind sharing version of the OS? Are you saving these files on a local drive or network?

You may try resetting the preferences of the Adobe Illustrator and see if it helps.

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Let us know if it helps. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ashutosh,

- I save the files to the local hard drive.
OS.png

- I have reset the preferences.
- I have switched off "Save in background"

I'll try to see if it works well with these changes, the problem is that it doesn't do it regularly but it does it from time to time. And I don't know why.

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I correct the information.
We work on a network server. But I don't think it's significant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is significant.

Illustrator has known issues with networks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with Illustrator. 

Illustrator does not support network or removable drives as scratch disks, or folders of file sync services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and icloud. When you save and open files across a network or from removable media, many variables affect application performance.

For more details, please refer to this help article. I would suggest you few things which you must check: 

• Check if this is happening with your user account only or with multiple users.
  • Check if there is any antivirus or if there is any end point security or if there is any restriction imposed by your IT Team. Due to this sometimes server does not allow application to save but you are able to save outside the application. 
  • You may also try to unmount the Network drive and reconnect it again.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have teh exact same iMac spec except for a 4GB graphics card. 
I'm working off a WD 4TB external Thunderbolt split into two partitions.
I turned off 'save in background' and recently reset all preferences etc.
Today has been sooo crazy I can't recall if all this happened BEFORE i turned off 'save in background'... but I believe that since I did, it has not happened. I'll try again with a fil that isn't one of my clients', when you are awake for 18-20hrs per day juggling jobs, it's the craziest thing to happen. Thanks for the comments above to OP, hopefully we will be okay 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'd like to add that I've been having the same experience. I've been an Illustrator user since Illustrator 88 without such issues, hence looking this up. Hopefully turning off 'Save in Background' will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me in the last two days, I send the to client (has to be  non-fully editable' otherwise it's 40MB.

I send tehe PDF, go to my AI and nothing has changed. And as the non fully-editable PDF isn't so, when I drag into AI, all teh text is in separate lines (and layers need to be separated). It's incredinly frustarating and dangerous when yuo woerk at speed for multiple clients. I now save AI, fully edirable PDF and then a smaller PDF to email, and if it happens, drag the F/E PDF back, and overwrite the AI. two days ago ythis was nonexitent, and now it's a death sentence. Will read the comments below for solution... hoenstyly thoght I was losing my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try the solutions posted in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Yes I have, and so far so good! It does seem to be 'save in background' setting causing it. But will do some more tests. I assume that a user would make the PDF before an Ai  save was completed, threfore it shifts focus to converting to PDf than finishing the save... That's how I interpret it (even thogh adequate tiem was left to finish teh Ai save) - whereas InDesign has the backgrouns tasks bar to help indicate exporting and other tasks, I have spent all my life with 'Save in Background' OFF... so no idea hoe it popped up anyeay  (it was my prefs reset I think).  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues.

I originally thought I had forgotten to make specific changes, but have since realized that for whatever reason Illustrator is—intermittently and irregularly—not saving the changes I've made.

A specific example: I made a change in illustrator, saved, then export a PDF. The following day when I opened the illustrator file, the change had not been saved. I checked the PDF, the change was saved and correct.

This is a major liability!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me, it's extremely frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you try and turn off "Save in Background" in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines