Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator export resolution

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have an issue with the Illustrator application while exporting ( I have the latest update of the app). When I try to export a file as eps, it exports it as a 1:1 format whereas my resolution settings are (3:2). I have looked through the internet to find a resolution for that but so far there has not been any real answer for that. It is really frustrating not being able to export a file just as it is. 
Check out these attached files and you’ll get a clearer image about the issue I am struggling with.

Another point to point out is that I want to upload them to Shutterstock and I should not select 'Artboards'.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback and hopefully a resolution for the issue.

IMG_8678.jpgIMG_8679.jpgIMG_8680.jpgIMG_8681.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not clear to me what your problem is.

Illustrator files are vector files and don't have a resolution.

Only when exporting as an image you can use a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant by resolution (dimentions). When I create a new file in the beginning, I select 6000:4000. And this will make it have the aspect ratio of 3:2 but when I export the vector file (eps). I receive a 1:1 file.
Hope it is clearer now!!

Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taha Mounir,

As far as I can see, the artwork keeps the same proportions, but the height of the original Artboard is reduced from a 2:3 (W:H) tall/portrait rectangle to a 1:1 square in the final preview image/whatever, by removal of empty space above and below the artwork.

What say you, Ton?

Edit: Taha, I started posting, then had to leave for a while, then finished and posted, then saw your further explanation.

As I (still) see it, the artwork is undistorted/basically unchanged, the change of proportion only applying to the surrounding Artboard/frame/whichever name to give it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Taha.

What happens if you tick Use Artboards, the option shown in your first screenshot?

I hope that will change the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It fixes the issue but then I cannot upload them to shutterstock and they ask me not to use artboards…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taha,

Then how about starting out by selecting 6000:6000, 4000:4000, or similar, and have the Use Artboard unticked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you scale your artwork and your Artboard 50% to 2000 X 3000 and use the artboard option when saving. They don't know if an artboard is used, they have some strange rule about megapixels, which is not applicable to vector graphics, but maybe your original size exceeded their limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not work. Shutterstock still detected that I used artbounds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS files, by default, create a bounding box that encompasses ONLY the artwork objects (hence the different dimensions). This is historical and predates the actual existence of the "artboard" concept. In your case, since you want to create an EPS with the same dimesions of your artboard you have to check Use Artboards when you save your EPS. This will modify the EPS bounding box to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want to use artbounds... When I use it, It solves the issue. But I want to upload them to shutterstock and they do not accept my file if I use artbounds feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taha,

How about cheating as follows, then?

1) Create a nofill/nostroke rectangle with size and position coinciding with the forbidden Artboard, you can create it and ClickDrag it by a corner to snap, or ClickDrag between opposite corners of the Artboard to create and position it in one go, in both cases Smart Guides are your friends;

2) Group it with the visible artwork (the grouping at least to ensure the mutual positioning);

3) Export with Use Artboard unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do they tell you?

Usually you save an EPS with Illustrator 10 compatibility. There cannot be artboards in it (because version 10 didn't have them). So exactly what is upsetting them?  Are they able to tell you in plain English?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why, then, you need to have it in these specific dimensions that you specify anyway. Vector objects have no resolution anyway. Fine, you can have an artboard defined as 6000x6000 or whatever youw ant, but it DOES NOT AFFECT vector objects. So, back to saving as EPS. As I mentioned, it should save a graphic with a bounding box the size of the objects of your graphic. In your image, there's some extra space above and to the right which indicates to me you have an error object there, which could be something as simple as a single anchor point. Check for that and delete.

IMG_8681.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the final result I get. I created the file as a 3:2 ratio but it comes out as the pictures I attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taha,

Did you try the cheating way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, it did not work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines