• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator Gradient Tool not Adjusting

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with the Gradient tool where it won't allow me to adjust the gradient. It no longer shows the normal gradient "stretch" handle as I click and hold my mouse to adjust the width and position of the gradients in Illustrator. I've worked in this for 18+ years, and this is a new issue. I may have accidentally hit a fast key to trigger some setting on the Gradient tool, but can't seem to figure out how to restore it so it works again as usual. 

Basically, when I try to "adjust" the gradient by clicking and dragging in the angle and distance I want the gradient to run, it just shows a very compressed/short version of the gradient that goes from one color immediately to the next, no matter how long I try to make it expand to. I suspect this is some setting I may have triggered with an accidental fast key. 

This is using Adobe Illustrator 2020 v 24.3 (most updated version of it).
I've restarted my iMac and reopened the file with the same results. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

I figured it out, the circle shape was (for some reason) having issues (even after "expanding" or making it a compound shape), so, I made a new circle, and now the gradient tool works fine in the new circles. Go figure! Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi just simple click on gradient icon in tool bar show you will that gradient slider...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live Paint and Gradients are currently (actually a couple of years) not a good combination.

Expand the Live Paint to adjust the gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this issue/bug is not yet resolved. I played around with expanding the Live Paint but with no change... still can't adjust the gradient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Live Paint Expand, you may ungroup to adjust individual elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please show how it works if you ungroup the expended LIve group and how it works if you select the circle inside the expanded Live group by Direct (or Group) Selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out, the circle shape was (for some reason) having issues (even after "expanding" or making it a compound shape), so, I made a new circle, and now the gradient tool works fine in the new circles. Go figure! Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still curious to understand what was wrong, can you share a circle shape that has those issues?

CC filesharing, Dropbox, Google, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you have the fill component selected not the stroke as I have found that hides the slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines