• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator will not open PNG files anymore

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has stopped letting me open PNG files. I never had an issue before until maybe a few days ago. I've tried every way I can think of to open it; right clicking on the image in the desktop, file open in illustrator, etc. No matter what I do, the file just will not open. Illustrator doesn't even give me an error or anything, the image simply just does not open in Illustrator.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

I actually think I found the issue after reading another post where a user couldn't open any type of files. It stated that Adobe searches for a printer when opening an image (not sure why) but the printer that was set as my Default printer no longer works. Therefore, Adobe couldn't connect to it. I changed my default printer in Windows settings and my PNG files will now open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And File > Place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually think I found the issue after reading another post where a user couldn't open any type of files. It stated that Adobe searches for a printer when opening an image (not sure why) but the printer that was set as my Default printer no longer works. Therefore, Adobe couldn't connect to it. I changed my default printer in Windows settings and my PNG files will now open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you solved it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a better solve for this yet? I don't have a "default" printer at the moment and taking the extra step to export png files as jpg or tiff if need transparency is slowing down my workflow tremendously. I never had a problem until a few weeks ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever manage to solve this? this is suddenly happening to me as of this week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Illustrator do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I am having the same problem and I don't have a "default printer". Does anyone know how to fix this? It only became an issue of Illustrator not opening .png as of a week or so ago. And yes it is TOTALLY messing up my work flow to have to open every PNG in photoshop and resave as a JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same, wtf. anyone have a good solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what happens to me. Same message, different file name, of course. I tried placing, dragging, resaving new PNG from Photoshop, pasting...replacing link from the links panel, it just won't take any PNGs. I'm using illustrator (2021) 23.0.6. on a mac. I had to re-save everything to work with legacy and use illustrator 2019. Any help would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue!! Absolutely nothing works for me, had to convert files to JPG as well. 
Could it happen to be a bug? Anyone out there who can help at all?? Is there hope for us? 
Working from a v.2021 as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same same. I have to drag an image to InDesign and then I can copy and paste it from InDesign into Illustrator. I cannot drag my images onto Illustrator artboard to open. I thought it was sossmthing about GPU preview or that there is a clipping mask on the png artfile, but.... sounds like this is a big problem for many. Hmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks for the workaround on the InDesign drag into Illustrator. That adds a bunch of steps but at least it's a way to place a transparent background image. Adobe do you have any updates on when this bug will be fixed? I am using the online version of illustrator 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up having to uninstall all adobe productd, then update my MacBook, reinstall newest version of illustrator and now we're in the clear. A lot of annoying work, but finally it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it have to be an actual printer can you use Adobe PDF or OneSomething (sorry don't remember name and don't have it any more but do remember there was something else in there at one time)? (Edit Print presets→ Edit default → Choose "printer") 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

@Allie5E2F @Quin27027931vw5d @heatherr7713 @Cole_0 @essemtea @Allie5E2F@Miranda24607160dt41@Pixeltender

We are sorry for the trouble and delayed response. There was a bug in v25.4.8, and the only way to resolve the issue is to update to a newer v26 or v27. However, if you cannot update to a more recent version, I can only provide a download link to the direct installer of v25.0.0 via DM. DM me if you need that.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Anshul. I'm running Illustrator 25.4.8 and am having the same problem. Unfortunately, I'm not able to update to the next available version (27.0.1) as it's not compatible with my workstation (I'm running a 2017 iMac and have updated the OS as much as possible). Do you have an installer link to version 26?

Thank you,

Sunil Sarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TheSmallMonsters,

Thanks for reaching out. I checked & discovered that all the 2017 iMacs could be upgraded to macOS Ventura. If you upgrade your macOS, you should be able to update v27.0.1 or install older v26 from the creative Desktop app. The steps are here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul. I hope you are well. Can you please provide a link to the v25.0.0 as mentioned above? I have the same issue with 25.4.8 Illustrator and PNGs and would like to downgrade....  (Each updated version of Adobe Creative Cloud only introduces more frustrating new issues). Thankyou   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @YoureWorseThanApple,

Thanks for reaching out. I have shared the download link via DM.

Please check and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ansul!

Could you DM the link to downgrade as well? I'm having the same issue with not being able to open PNGs and I cannot update my MacOS.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can I have the link as well? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Benjamin27413864d9fs @Quin27027931vw5d,

Thanks for reaching out. I have sent a DM. Please check.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, I  also need the download link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Robbie5D23,

Thanks for reaching out. I have sent a DM. Please check.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines