• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After so many years, WHY does it STILL take more than 5 minutes for Illustrator to launch?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator for years, and it has always been a pain in the neck to wait for it to launch.  In my work, I'm in and out of the program quite a lot.  It is not an option for me to leave it open in the background if I am not actively using it, because it takes too much resource. I use a lot of resource heavy programs (like Solidworks).    

I know there's probably no good answer, and I just felt like ranting after waiting a total 25 minutes this morning to use illustrator 5 times for simple edits!     

(By contrast, I use CorelDraw far more, and it opens and closes in a few seconds and always has!) 

Come on Adobe.  Give a gal a break! 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lorrieannr:

You posted this question on the InDesign forum so I'll move it to the Illustrator forum for you. I'm going to tell you though, that I suspect it depends on your computer specs.

I'm also an Illustrator user so I launched Illustrator, and it opened in five seconds. I'm on a well-equipped, carefully maintained 2021 MacBook Pro with 64GB of RAM and a 4TB drive using mac OS Ventura 13.1.2 and Illustrator 27.3.1.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the wrong place.     I am using an engineering laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) with a 2 TB drive and 64GB of ram, also carefully maintained.  (No choice, as company won't go Apple).   I have no problem with any other programs.  I feel like this particular release of Illustrator (latest) has slowed down.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 minutes to launch? And it's Illustrator 27.4? Something on your system is slowing it down and if you want to figure it out, you might need to contact Customer Care and have them take a look into it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of CorelDRAW are you using? I wouldn't say the application opens fast at all; the newest 24.3 release seems to launch even slower than the 2022 release. And it doesnt seem to make a difference when closing and re-launching the application. My system is pretty well equipped: Core i7 CPU, 64GB of RAM, NVidia RTX 3070 GPU, 1TB NVMe SSD boot drive. Adobe Illustrator doesn't launch instantaneously, but it seems to launch a bit faster than these last couple or so builds of CorelDRAW. I have bigger gripes with CorelDRAW involving type related issues, likely stemming from their Font Manager application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep up with the latest and greatest.   I've used Corel since 1992.  I've never had any issue with it taking a long time to open.  I'm going to do a re-install with my Illustrator.   I think I may have an issue with some 3rd party plug ins that may not have kept up with changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a bunch of fonts loaded in CC?

Delete them all and see what happens (when you open a doc that requires them you'll get the prompt to reload them...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have the fonts I need to do the job.   I would LOVE to kill Minion Pro, but adobe seems to want to keep it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Lorrieannr,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html) and checking if it helps?

Also, kindly try to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

10 seconds on a 3 years old PC (win 11)

Imaginerie_0-1680948354602.png

Of all the software installed, illustrator is probably the quickest to launch for me (Photoshop takes longer because I have a bunch of big patterns that loads on start, but I am looking forward being able to retire them on my hard drive once that particular project is done 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines