• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.Ai file acting as a .pdf file in illustrator?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an Ai file in illustrator it is originally saved in CS6 on my personal PC, I am opening it in CC on my work PC. When I do so a window pops up asking me to select a pdf page to open, like when you open a pdf saved from a newer version of illustrator in an older version. I don't understand why its doing this

1. its not a pdf its an Ai file

2. I'm opening it in a newer version of illustrator so it should read

3. i have multiple files from the same project, saved the same way, and this is the only one I'm having trouble with

if anyone has come across this before I would greatly appreciate your insights to a solution for this weird issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Yes the .ai half of your file must have become corrupted, and you are opened the pdf compatibility part.

If you save as your files and turn off pdf compatible the chances of this happening are greatly reduced. This problem used to happen a few years ago until i edited the adobe illustrator prefs to make PDF compatible OFF the default, on the networks I manage. This reduces my billing on service calls, but I get enough work so feel good about doing the right thing for my clients.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.45.16 PM.png

Now one could say

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Change the file extension from .ai to .pdf.
Then open the file in illustrator.
You'll get back editable artwork.

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually is a sign of a corrupted file.

The PDF part is still OK, the AI part is gone for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the .ai half of your file must have become corrupted, and you are opened the pdf compatibility part.

If you save as your files and turn off pdf compatible the chances of this happening are greatly reduced. This problem used to happen a few years ago until i edited the adobe illustrator prefs to make PDF compatible OFF the default, on the networks I manage. This reduces my billing on service calls, but I get enough work so feel good about doing the right thing for my clients.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.45.16 PM.png

Now one could say this is dangerous to turn off pdf compatible as when the .ai half gets corrupted you have nothing. But after years of doing this am finding turn ing off pdf compatible almost eliminates corruption.

What happens if you open the file on CS6. Usually the corruption happens during the save process, but can happen during transfer to a USB stick for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @stephane23088877cgo2

No. It just doesn't work like that. The file suffix is just used by the operating system to open the application you have specified. It won't magically change the contents of the file.

Please see this about Illustrator files: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked!! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines