Exit

Align distrbution bug

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The align distribution function doesn't always work as it should

Ramy271375114ba3_1-1672641924126.png

I tried the "horizontal distribute center" function, on the objects in black, but they come out as the ones in orange. while they should be like the ones in blue.

I'm using Illustrator version 27.1.1

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

shrewen,

How about Distribute Spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shrewen,

How about Distribute Spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird, that worked, I never used the spacing button with fixed values before, didn't realize it works the same as the regular distribute button, still there's a bug that needs to be fixed but at least I can work with it now. Thanks Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant "I never used the spacing button without fixed values"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, shrewen.

As far as I can see, the "horizontal distribute center" result shown in orange gives you three identical distances between the centres of the objects; the left and right options ought to give similar results for the corresponding edges of the objects.

I believe the key is the choice of either object or spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Jacob, it was my mistake assuming the distribute object buttons are the same as the distribute spacing buttons in the align panel, so there's no bug after all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, shrewen.

It can be difficult to find the way into such concepts. Sometimes, a helpx search can really help (the link gives an empty search you can bookmark, and then just fill in the search term (it is often best to include the application, to push other applications down in the result list)),

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subscope=%5B%5D&limit=10&star...

although in some cases such as this one it is of limited help, as you can see the searches distribute objects illustrator and distribute spacing illustrator yield the same first result which is less less crystal clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines